Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33789 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2021, 10:35:42 PM »
For those unfamiliar with competitive cheer her is my daughters level 4 team from 2 years ago.

https://youtu.be/O01z1qFDSAE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2021, 10:52:13 PM »
Would you skip your kid's 6th grad fball game (I've never missed a single game in like a gazillion games, btw. well, maybe like some indoor soccer game or something years ago) to watch the Cats play OU in two weeks, especially if we're still undefeated?

I'm 95% to a decision.

2011 CF3 would go to the Cats game. 2021 CF3 would go to the 6th grade fball game. I have had to miss kid stuff (soccer games, piano stuff etc) for work a few times, but that's life. I did skip a lil CF3 basketball game a few years ago to attend a Chiefs playoff game. It wasn't a big deal to lil CF3 but I probably would choose to skip the Chiefs if it happens again.

Anytime I have missed a game or an event, I ALWAYS do a special time with Dad afterwards. A dinner, an arcade, a trip to the zoo, etc. So if you do go to the Cats game, give nicname jr plenty of extra time afterwards.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2021, 05:26:50 AM »
It sounds like the coaches are being extremely reckless and irresponsible and putting kids in danger but I don't know the sport. Are there other, maybe less intense club options?

It isn't the coaches, it's the sport
For high school girls and college women, cheerleading is far more dangerous than any other sport, according to a new report that adds several previously unreported cases of serious injuries to a growing list.

High school cheerleading accounted for 65.1 percent of all catastrophic sports injuries among high school females over the past 25 years, according to an annual report released Monday by the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research.

The new estimate is up from 55 percent in last year's study. The researches say the true number of cheerleading injuries appears to be higher than they had previously thought. And these are not ankle sprains. The report counts fatal, disabling and serious injuries.

The statistics are equally grim in college, where cheerleading accounted for 66.7 percent of all female sports catastrophic injuries, compared to the past estimate of 59.4 percent.

That being said IC, I have a daughter just starting cheer, non competitive at this point. We're aware of the dangers and we're going to let her do it as much as she wants. She's a dancer so I hope she ditches cheer for dance but she'll make that choice. She's very tall and muscular so she won't be doing aerials, so that's helpful too.

If she's good at it and it's a spark for her, don't take it away, there's risk in everything and she won't have a lifetime of what ifs. If it becomes too dangerous for her to handle, she'll make the decision herself.
I mean, there could be a bunch of irresponsible coaches.

Anecdotally, we have a good friend who's been in high-level ballet for several years. The family poured a ton of time and money into training or whatever at the San Francisco ballet. She/they thought she was on track to getting picked up by a professional ballet in high school or something, it was basically this kid's life for the last 5 or so years.

This year, San Francisco didn't invite her back, so she ended up "stepping down" to Berkeley Ballet, and she's absolutely loving it. San Francisco was like a job, but Berkeley is fun for her - she's actually showing her parents steps she learned which she never did at SF and is just really enjoying ut.

Obviously you (IC) know your daughter's situation best, but sometimes a change of scenery isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it's less competitive.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
We have three kids. At the beginning of school/sports season a year ago we pulled all of them out of basically everything due to COVID concerns. My dad lives close by, he's a cancer survivor, and we're the only people that he knows within like a 500 mile radius, so we were being extra cautious.

Our younger two were okay with everything, and sort of relished the ridiculous amount of time that they now had to play video games (which drove me crazy, a year on after the vaccine we have them back in activities again). The oldest one, without soccer, was absolutely despondent. After about a month and a half after consulting with our pediatrician we decided to let him go back to playing. The change in his demeanor was immediate and striking. We could actually be around him again.

All that is to say is that there are no obviously correct answers. There are risks and costs to all of this, both in doing some of these things, but in not doing them as well.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
While we're discussing this, it's amazing how little middle school administrators care about middle school sports. Club sports definitely go harder. My daughter has had back to back cross country meets cancelled on total bullshit. Last Thursday she couldn't run because their bus was cancelled. They didn't give parents the option of taking our own kids to the meet. Yesterday the meet was cancelled by the host school because of a thunderstorm watch. Not thunder, not rain, not a thunderstorm warning, just a watch. It ended up raining for 10 minutes, an hour and a half before the meet was scheduled to start. The Ames coaches didn't practice after the cancellation.

crap is frustrating.

Unsurprisingly, middle school football here in Texas gets taken pretty seriously. Maybe volleyball too (I don't have any girls, so I'm not sure). Middle school basketball was an okay, but not great experience for my kid. And middle school soccer is an absolute utter complete joke in our district.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2021, 10:41:10 AM »
Would you skip your kid's 6th grad fball game (I've never missed a single game in like a gazillion games, btw. well, maybe like some indoor soccer game or something years ago) to watch the Cats play OU in two weeks, especially if we're still undefeated?

I'm 95% to a decision.

2011 CF3 would go to the Cats game. 2021 CF3 would go to the 6th grade fball game. I have had to miss kid stuff (soccer games, piano stuff etc) for work a few times, but that's life. I did skip a lil CF3 basketball game a few years ago to attend a Chiefs playoff game. It wasn't a big deal to lil CF3 but I probably would choose to skip the Chiefs if it happens again.

Anytime I have missed a game or an event, I ALWAYS do a special time with Dad afterwards. A dinner, an arcade, a trip to the zoo, etc. So if you do go to the Cats game, give nicname jr plenty of extra time afterwards.

Good suggestion. Ty
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2021, 11:18:43 AM »

I'm 95% to a decision.

Good suggestion. Ty

Go to the kid's game, man. You're going spend the whole time thinking about how he's doing then more time convincing yourself you did the right thing by not going to his game. If he did something awesome and you missed it you'll hate that too. I missed one of my daughter's soccer games ever, it was for work, she got her first hat trick.

Go to his game, watch the cats game with him after, come up to Manhattan to farmageddon and mock flood aggie fans.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »
It sounds like the coaches are being extremely reckless and irresponsible and putting kids in danger but I don't know the sport. Are there other, maybe less intense club options?

It isn't the coaches, it's the sport
For high school girls and college women, cheerleading is far more dangerous than any other sport, according to a new report that adds several previously unreported cases of serious injuries to a growing list.

High school cheerleading accounted for 65.1 percent of all catastrophic sports injuries among high school females over the past 25 years, according to an annual report released Monday by the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research.

The new estimate is up from 55 percent in last year's study. The researches say the true number of cheerleading injuries appears to be higher than they had previously thought. And these are not ankle sprains. The report counts fatal, disabling and serious injuries.

The statistics are equally grim in college, where cheerleading accounted for 66.7 percent of all female sports catastrophic injuries, compared to the past estimate of 59.4 percent.

That being said IC, I have a daughter just starting cheer, non competitive at this point. We're aware of the dangers and we're going to let her do it as much as she wants. She's a dancer so I hope she ditches cheer for dance but she'll make that choice. She's very tall and muscular so she won't be doing aerials, so that's helpful too.

If she's good at it and it's a spark for her, don't take it away, there's risk in everything and she won't have a lifetime of what ifs. If it becomes too dangerous for her to handle, she'll make the decision herself.
I mean, there could be a bunch of irresponsible coaches.

Anecdotally, we have a good friend who's been in high-level ballet for several years. The family poured a ton of time and money into training or whatever at the San Francisco ballet. She/they thought she was on track to getting picked up by a professional ballet in high school or something, it was basically this kid's life for the last 5 or so years.

This year, San Francisco didn't invite her back, so she ended up "stepping down" to Berkeley Ballet, and she's absolutely loving it. San Francisco was like a job, but Berkeley is fun for her - she's actually showing her parents steps she learned which she never did at SF and is just really enjoying ut.

Obviously you (IC) know your daughter's situation best, but sometimes a change of scenery isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it's less competitive.

I know you aren't meaning to do so but chalking up cheer injuries to reckless coaching is very reductive. We don't do that with any sport, why are we doing it here? Of course there are going to be some knuckleheads, like with anything else, but cheer is a very dangerous sport. I mean we're talking about quickly stacking and unstacking bodies and throwing and catching humans.

That being said there are very real and deep seeded issues with cheers governing body, they have the ability to make the sport safer on and off the mat but they refuse to do so.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2021, 11:40:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've criticized youth football coaching as a factor in concussions on this blog, and there's definitely been talk of baseball coaches ruining the throwing arms of kids from overuse.

But I definitely don't know cheer and will defer to people who know more.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2021, 11:56:15 AM »
@MakeItRain I’m going to nicnamejr’s game, which was the way I was leaning the whole time. Actually refreshing to see gE be basically unanimous here. I didn’t expect it. And wouldn’t expect it would be the same on most “fan” boards.

Anyway, back to the more interesting discussion surrounding competitive cheer. <——— not gEing
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2021, 12:05:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've criticized youth football coaching as a factor in concussions on this blog, and there's definitely been talk of baseball coaches ruining the throwing arms of kids from overuse.

It seems obvious to me that cheer can be dangerous relative to other sports, and that poor coaching can make injuries more likely in an already hazardous activity.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2021, 12:47:36 PM »

It seems obvious to me that cheer can be dangerous relative to other sports, and that poor coaching can make injuries more likely in an already hazardous activity.

Yes both can absolutely be true

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2021, 02:34:41 PM »

Yes both can absolutely be true

100% agree, we just don't know from IC's story if the injuries are due to coaching negligence. If y'all didn't watch the video he posted, competitive cheer is much different than what you see on sidelines or courtside of High School X in 99% of schools across the country.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
@MakeItRain I’m going to nicnamejr’s game, which was the way I was leaning the whole time. Actually refreshing to see gE be basically unanimous here. I didn’t expect it. And wouldn’t expect it would be the same on most “fan” boards.

Anyway, back to the more interesting discussion surrounding competitive cheer. <——— not gEing

The best thing about this board is the absence of performative masculinity, the stereotypical masculinity cosplay competition that permeates the internet. Most people in their position would go and watch their kids, it's just that other places, the people feel like they have to lie about doing it. Supporting the joy of your progeny isn't a weakness, I'm glad we don't have to act like it here.

See you at Farmageddon in 2.5 weeks.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2021, 05:34:47 PM »
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRpBgDDm/

#2 sent that to me this morning.  Guilty as charged I guess.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
lmao that is exactly how it be

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2021, 07:32:46 PM »
That cracked my 10 year old son up as much as me. (This is the reason I don’t coach him)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRpBgDDm/

#2 sent that to me this morning.  Guilty as charged I guess.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Lmao.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2022, 10:21:35 AM »
On top of being assistant baseball coach I'm also team accountant and social media coordinator for lil sd's baseball team. because apparently I can't quit volunteering for crap. do any of you accountant or team accountant cats have an excel file example of a good format for a team budget? will have to track personal and corporate donations and fees and stuff for 12 kids/parents and facility fees, touney fees, gear, cages, all that stuff. I'm sure I can put something together very easily but I'm not an accountant and thought I'd ask first. TY.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2022, 10:28:43 AM »
One final tidbit, and I am sure this is not unique to baseball.  When the coaches let everyone know what you owe for the tournament, uniforms, or whatever needs paid for, you are for sure subsidizing the coaches kids share.   

was revisiting this thread and want to report that this is for sure not the case with our program

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2022, 10:29:39 AM »
also, since this thread is red hot from steve dave posts, hold onto your asses for updated baseball bat porn incoming at some time today according to UPS.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2022, 10:36:31 AM »
I'm not an accounting/finance person, but I think at a minimum you will need a balance sheet, income statement, and general ledger. And if you go public, you need something called guidance.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2022, 11:31:34 AM »
NSFW

Cat9 Two Piece Composite 28/18 in special American Flag livery because in THIS house we salute old glory and we tear up when Lee Greenwood hits his crescendo.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2022, 11:37:04 AM »
scene: lil sd drops the bat weight from the on deck circle and, what's that from the team JBL bluetooth?..AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! WHERE AT LEAST I KNOW I'M FREE! as he marches to the plate. He tops a dribbler to short but we're playing 9U ball here so the short stop fumbles it and tries to make a Carlos Correa'esque leaping throw off his back foot and his lollypop lands into the first base dugout. RUNNER GETS TO ADVANCE TO SECOND! WE ALL SALUTE!

:excited:

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2022, 11:38:46 AM »
I mean, I've done the team accountant thing before, but I don't think you want one of my examples, because the last time I did it, lack of payment ended up with me subsidizing the team to the tune of a couple hundred bucks on top of my time.

I would therefore suggest having a heavy willing to use your new bat on kneecaps if required.