Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 37108 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2022, 11:46:58 AM »
I don't know how much I would need to get paid to ump a travel baseball tournament but it would be an awful lot

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2022, 12:17:46 PM »
I saw a similar incident on Twitter yesterday where an ump shared a pic of her face with a healthy shiner after being punched by a player's parent.  A little further down on that thread someone found that parent's mugshot and I kid you not her shirt said MOTHER OF THE YEAR on it.   

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2022, 01:43:39 PM »
I went to watch my nephew (4th-grade level).  The person supposed to umpire doesn't show up so a 16 or so year old got called up and came in causing the game to start 20 minutes late.  He made an objectively bad decision on a catcher interference call and some parents gave him crap the rest of the game.  It looks like the worst job ever and CF3 is a saint for dealing with those turds.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 13, 2022, 01:45:00 PM »
Last one take it to the signs of getting old thread. Thanks for umping though, they are going to die out with all the Karen and Chad parents/coaches unfortunately.

95% of people are cool- and its way worse at the 10/11/12 year old level than high school ball.

Sorry, the other comment is in the correct thread. I won't move it.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2022, 01:50:14 PM »
Last one take it to the signs of getting old thread. Thanks for umping though, they are going to die out with all the Karen and Chad parents/coaches unfortunately.

95% of people are cool- and its way worse at the 10/11/12 year old level than high school ball.

Sorry, the other comment is in the correct thread. I won't move it.

don't think it's that big of a deal. 99% of them won't have walkup music playing for them any other time in life.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2022, 01:57:24 PM »
I saw a similar incident on Twitter yesterday where an ump shared a pic of her face with a healthy shiner after being punched by a player's parent.  A little further down on that thread someone found that parent's mugshot and I kid you not her shirt said MOTHER OF THE YEAR on it.   

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1513942081663914009

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2022, 03:55:40 PM »
3. There is a cultural thing now where travel ball teams will bring a speaker to the field and play walk up music for their team. It is maybe the most annoying thing of all time.
They did this for my son's 5U T-ball team last year (dfw burbs).  :facepalm: I guess on the bright side it helped the kids know who was up to bat, and got them excited to meander to home plate.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2022, 03:57:07 PM »
I’ve only punched three umps so far this year and I’m happy to report they all deserved it for blowing tons of balls and strikes.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2022, 04:23:59 PM »
3. There is a cultural thing now where travel ball teams will bring a speaker to the field and play walk up music for their team. It is maybe the most annoying thing of all time.
They did this for my son's 5U T-ball team last year (dfw burbs).  :facepalm: I guess on the bright side it helped the kids know who was up to bat, and got them excited to meander to home plate.

IMO walkup music is the least problematic aspect of travel baseball and probably the most kickass

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »
did the 5 year olds get to pick their song?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
Walk up music is cool imo. A couple of years ago me, the head coach’s wife and their older son ran the PA for all our home games. It was pretty cool. I didn’t the PA announcing, he ran the scoreboard and she did all the music. We had walk up music, music between innings, special songs for pitching changes, etc.

Made for a very fun atmosphere. This was for weekday league games obv, and not tournaments.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2022, 05:02:26 PM »
We played one team this year with music. Pretty fun. Also they kicked our asses so I think the music is like steroids for 8 yo’s.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2022, 05:25:48 PM »
My wife is going to have our 3 year old play baseball this summer and I want no part of it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2022, 05:27:33 PM »
Be careful out there, CF3.

https://twitter.com/peytonyager/status/1513938828242960384?s=20&t=nK92ZnYdcrT_c71i6NpXTQ

It was the right call tho, the glove was even with the plate, not ahead of it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2022, 09:08:53 PM »
My wife is going to have our 3 year old play baseball this summer and I want no part of it.

it's wild that for much of america the first sport any kid plays is baseball. It's the boringest, most complicated, most standing around sport in the world and THAT'S what we start kids with?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2022, 09:10:39 PM »
Wtf?! No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »

it's wild that for much of america the first sport any kid plays is baseball. It's the boringest, most complicated, most standing around sport in the world and THAT'S what we start kids with?

I actually think it’s a pretty good one because it’s so orderly. Soccer at little kid levels is chaos

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2022, 09:37:55 PM »

I actually think it’s a pretty good one because it’s so orderly. Soccer at little kid levels is chaos

Yeah I guess if your goal with youth sports is to teach kids to be "orderly" without having any fun then yeah baseball is probably the best first sport

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2022, 11:43:56 PM »
Yes. They did it on an app. The kids all recorded an announcement and sent it to their coach ("Now batting, number x, SAMMYYYYYY SO-SOooo !"). It would then fade in/out to the song they picked. It also let you pick the duration and section of the song. Had a couple interesting ones. It was funny to see a 4-5 y/o walk up to the only clean part of an eminem, snoop or dre song.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 14, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »

Yeah I guess if your goal with youth sports is to teach kids to be "orderly" without having any fun then yeah baseball is probably the best first sport

Exactly. He'll start soccer this fall and she will coach him but I'll at least have fun watching him run around and push some kids around. He just got a baseball glove for his birthday and teaching him how to use that thing is miserable right now.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Yes. They did it on an app. The kids all recorded an announcement and sent it to their coach ("Now batting, number x, SAMMYYYYYY SO-SOooo !"). It would then fade in/out to the song they picked. It also let you pick the duration and section of the song. Had a couple interesting ones. It was funny to see a 4-5 y/o walk up to the only clean part of an eminem, snoop or dre song.
wtf.. figured it'd be baby shark at 4 years old

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2022, 02:40:29 PM »
Walk up music for 4 year old is entirely driven by parents, so it makes sense that the parents would also be selecting their kid's favorite song.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
@Pete

tell 'em something

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2022, 03:38:18 PM »
Hey bud, dad picked you out magic stick by 50 cent for your walkup song.. Go make us proud!