Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 37147 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #300 on: April 14, 2022, 03:47:16 PM »
"hey Skylan, would you like Shipping up to Boston or Thunderstruck?"

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 14, 2022, 04:01:22 PM »
Some poor kid with liberal parents probably has to walk up to a Neil Young song.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 14, 2022, 04:05:09 PM »
Some poor kid with liberal parents probably has to walk up to a Neil Young song.

it's better to burn out at age 13 from too many practices than it is to rust

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 14, 2022, 04:23:05 PM »
I will let pete regale you with our softball walkup songs from over 12 years ago but did you know that pete would play walk up songs for our opposition?  Were they complimentary?  no.  Did they attempt to exploit that batters insecurities?  definitely

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 14, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
The big leagues should start doing that. It would be a lot of fun for the fans.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 14, 2022, 05:26:29 PM »
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 14, 2022, 05:49:28 PM »
Walk up music for 4 year old is entirely driven by parents, so it makes sense that the parents would also be selecting their kid's favorite song.
Bingo! It was pretty easy to tell who let their kid pick. There was a baby shark...remix. There was also one called "Snake Farm" that became a crowd fav by season's end, but probably more to do with the nice kid that picked it. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2022, 08:27:40 PM »
Skylan, lol

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2022, 08:03:40 AM »
I will let pete regale you with our softball walkup songs from over 12 years ago but did you know that pete would play walk up songs for our opposition?  Were they complimentary?  no.  Did they attempt to exploit that batters insecurities?  definitely

We had quite a setup, and this was like 15 years ago...for adult softball in Shawnee.  We had a large children's trailer that we would take to the game and in it we would store a full sized Onkyo receiver with like a bagillion watts per channel, two huge tower speakers, a 100 foot extension cord, a deep cycle marine battery and AC adapter (in case we didn't have access to a plug in), and an a first generation iPod.  We had manually cut everyone's favorite walkup music down to clips from their songs as their own mp3 files, and had them all in the proper batting order and all that.  Then, we cut a pretty stellar list of simp and teenage girl complaint rock music to use as the walkup music for the other team as well. 

The other teams either absolutely loved playing against us, or hated us.  I'm not sure anyone on our team had less than two 30 ounce beers in them before we played any game.   

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 19, 2022, 09:43:59 AM »

We had quite a setup, and this was like 15 years ago...for adult softball in Shawnee.  We had a large children's trailer that we would take to the game and in it we would store a full sized Onkyo receiver with like a bagillion watts per channel, two huge tower speakers, a 100 foot extension cord, a deep cycle marine battery and AC adapter (in case we didn't have access to a plug in), and an a first generation iPod.  We had manually cut everyone's favorite walkup music down to clips from their songs as their own mp3 files, and had them all in the proper batting order and all that.  Then, we cut a pretty stellar list of simp and teenage girl complaint rock music to use as the walkup music for the other team as well. 

The other teams either absolutely loved playing against us, or hated us.  I'm not sure anyone on our team had less than two 30 ounce beers in them before we played any game.

the good old days.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »

Mid-America? I've been playing out there for 5 years now is the D league of D leagues and pretty much every team brings a speaker to the game now. The protocol is that when your team is up you get to play your music, when you are in the field the opponent gets to play their music.

Probably alot easier now with Bluetooth speakers being so prevalent. They just remodeled the place over the last 2 years and the infields are now all field turf which helps slow down the piss missile's flying off the bat in the infield.

Also 32 oz busch lattes are only $6

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »

Mid-America? I've been playing out there for 5 years now is the D league of D leagues and pretty much every team brings a speaker to the game now. The protocol is that when your team is up you get to play your music, when you are in the field the opponent gets to play their music.

Probably alot easier now with Bluetooth speakers being so prevalent. They just remodeled the place over the last 2 years and the infields are now all field turf which helps slow down the piss missile's flying off the bat in the infield.

Yep, Mid America.  I can confidently say we were the first to play walkup music there.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2022, 06:27:51 PM »

Yep, Mid America.  I can confidently say we were the first to play walkup music there.

Yeah, no one had even thought of it.  One of my bros bumped into an old GF and her nw husband.  Turns out now husband used to play out there in our glory days and they absolutely worshipped us.  Would look ahead to the schedule so that friends/family came out when they played us.

To put it in a technological timeframe perspective:  we HAD TO HAVE a full 3 prong outlet to have any music.  This was a very high power home stereo with woodgrain tower speakers from someone's home.  We carried 100 ft of orange extension cord and ran it around fields to an outlet at the base of light towers.  This was not a rough ridin' waterproof jawbone you put in your pocket.  This was a goddam home stereo you could hear over at the rough ridin' ice rink

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2022, 08:14:15 PM »
NSFW

Cat9 Two Piece Composite 28/18 in special American Flag livery because in THIS house we salute old glory and we tear up when Lee Greenwood hits his crescendo.

First game using this hot POA (because you can’t swing it if it’s under 65 degrees). 1 pitch, 1 smoked single to left field. Then almost immediately lightning cancellation because Spring sucks the big one.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2022, 09:18:03 PM »
My 9 year old plays in a recreational soccer league and does the Ronaldo siiiiuuu celebration when he scores.

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
NSFW

Cat9 Two Piece Composite 28/18 in special American Flag livery because in THIS house we salute old glory and we tear up when Lee Greenwood hits his crescendo.

First game using this hot POA (because you can’t swing it if it’s under 65 degrees). 1 pitch, 1 smoked single to left field. Then almost immediately lightning cancellation because Spring sucks the big one.
So I was the  cheap dad when it came to bats.  #2 was the biggest kid on the team he ought to be able to hit it out with a broom stick.

The smallest kid on the team had like a $300 bat.  I knew this because his dad protected that bat like it was made of gold.  No one else could use it, kept in the bag under the bench.  It didn't mingle with the other bats hanging from the chain link.

In one of our last games in 6th grade, late innings, #2 has managed to negotiate using this bat for one of his last at bats.

I am coaching 1st base, but I refrain from the wtf look when he comes to the plate.

Gets a fast ball knee high and turns on it.  Deposited it over the LF wall and about 25 ft past that the ball bounces off the top of the concession stand.

#2 rounded first with a how do you like me now look.

CheapTombrag

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2022, 10:33:47 PM »
imo on gear:

Glove - actually kind of important. More about it being broken in right and kid confident in it.

Bat - mostly not important probably but the confidence boost of a hot POA in your hands probably fairly big

Shoes - any cleats will do. Soccer, football, etc.

Catchers gear - fit is the only thing that matters. If you make catchers gear it’s plenty high quality imo. But it has to fit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 22, 2022, 12:43:44 PM »
My 9 year old plays in a recreational soccer league and does the Ronaldo siiiiuuu celebration when he scores.

:love:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 26, 2022, 02:42:15 PM »
imo on gear:

Glove - actually kind of important. More about it being broken in right and kid confident in it.

Bat - mostly not important probably but the confidence boost of a hot POA in your hands probably fairly big

Shoes - any cleats will do. Soccer, football, etc.

Catchers gear - fit is the only thing that matters. If you make catchers gear it’s plenty high quality imo. But it has to fit.

agreed. also helmet needs to fit. I think batting g's are pretty helpful too but not necessary for young kids.

I was at a big tournament over the weekend and saw kids even in 11U games wearing a sliding glove on the bases. I was like, you guys are all pigeons.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 26, 2022, 02:45:02 PM »
WE PLAYED A TEAM THE OTHER DAY IN 9U WITH A KID WITH A SLIDING GLOVE!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2022, 02:46:30 PM »
I’ve got news for you bud, our catcher isn’t gunning you down at second. You can go in feet first.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 26, 2022, 02:54:04 PM »

I've done probably 40 KSHAA games this year and seen maybe 2 or 3 kids use a sliding glove. Its pretty pointless IMO

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2022, 03:12:50 PM »

I've done probably 40 KSHAA games this year and seen maybe 2 or 3 kids use a sliding glove. Its pretty pointless IMO

It’s all about being cool. Like every kid on our team has Canseco shades.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
We definitely would've roasted any teammate with a sliding glove.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2022, 05:54:54 PM »
LOL I'd never even heard of a sliding glove