Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 33806 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2021, 07:52:29 AM »
My 10 year-old can't wait to turn 13 and compete in Fortnite tournaments.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »
Heh

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1417279302417125379

The high price of playing on competitive squads is the chief criticism of youth soccer in the U.S., with costs including club and tournament fees and increasingly distant travel. The Mewises spent between $10,000-$12,000 a year on the girls’ soccer starting in their mid-teens.

To afford that investment, Bob supplemented the income from his full-time work for a firm that estimated costs for construction projects. He took on weekend jobs building, roofing or framing houses, joining his athletic daughters in soreness and fatigue.

It's completely unnecessary. The Gold Cup match on Sunday began between USA and Canada on Sunday had something like 13 of the 22 players on the field who played college soccer. America's hottest young player, Daryl Dike didn't play in the development academy, he just played at his local club and his big brother and sister are professional soccer players.

I love Astead Wesley, it would be great if people told the story of the hundreds of successful American athletes who's parents didn't burn tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars chasing glory.

If you're good you'll be found.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
I agree with everything you say.

But  gen x parents think they can pay their way to an edge and the clubs let them believe it across all sports. I have friends that have middle schoolers who aren’t playing middle school sports for their schools because the teams aren’t good/as good and they just keep playing club.

My wife coaches high school bball  and they struggle to get 3 full high school teams. Softball and basketball are dying for girls. Volleyball soccer are doing fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2021, 03:13:12 PM »
I agree with everything you say.

But  gen x parents think they can pay their way to an edge and the clubs let them believe it across all sports. I have friends that have middle schoolers who aren’t playing middle school sports for their schools because the teams aren’t good/as good and they just keep playing club.

My wife coaches high school bball  and they struggle to get 3 full high school teams. Softball and basketball are dying for girls. Volleyball soccer are doing fine

Yeah, we're doing the complete opposite. Now that my daughter is in middle school club sports are over. Cross Country in the fall, basketball in the winter, soccer in the spring. I'm so happy to be liberated from club sports, until the 2 year old gets old enough anyway.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2021, 04:59:13 PM »
Reading this thread makes me happy I raised nerds. Chorus and drama. Only traveled a couple times a year.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2021, 10:28:17 PM »
Would you skip your kid's 6th grad fball game (I've never missed a single game in like a gazillion games, btw. well, maybe like some indoor soccer game or something years ago) to watch the Cats play OU in two weeks, especially if we're still undefeated?

I'm 95% to a decision.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2021, 10:36:50 PM »
Would you skip your kid's 6th grad fball game (I've never missed a single game in like a gazillion games, btw. well, maybe like some indoor soccer game or something years ago) to watch the Cats play OU in two weeks, especially if we're still undefeated?

I'm 95% to a decision.

I'd bring a portable radio.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2021, 05:12:40 AM »

I'm 95% to a decision.

Absolutely not, unless there is some reason for going beyond the Cats, like you're going with friends you haven't seen in years or the kid got you tickets as a gift or something.

I mean, the Cats are gonna get smoked. Plus I'm guessing you own a phone, stream it during halftime or a series he isn't on the field.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 06:54:59 AM by michigancat »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2021, 05:16:23 AM »
Also I was out and about during the Cats game last week and i will say that following a game on ESPN.com play-by-play while you're at a bar or something really makes you appreciate how rough ridin' slow the sport is.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2021, 06:05:56 AM »
I would not miss my kids game but I wouldn’t judge you if you did (and I’m not saying michigancat is, because he’s not). You are a good and supportive father. Doing something that you love that’s important to you is good and everything requires trade offs.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2021, 06:57:11 AM »
I would not miss my kids game but I wouldn’t judge you if you did (and I’m not saying michigancat is, because he’s not). You are a good and supportive father. Doing something that you love that’s important to you is good and everything requires trade offs.

Absolutely

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2021, 08:04:55 AM »
Sell the ticket(unless going with someone) turn your phone off all day, tell those around if cats fans not to tell you the score, record the game, buy fat steaks for the fam, grill and watch the game together.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2021, 08:09:55 AM »
Sell the ticket(unless going with someone) turn your phone off all day, tell those around if cats fans not to tell you the score, record the game, buy fat steaks for the fam, grill and watch the game together.

Pretty good advice here. Can suck if you need to keep your phone on and people start texting during an upset but you can manage

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2021, 08:54:12 AM »

I'm 95% to a decision.

I watched the '19 Cats upset of OU on my phone from the sidelines of a 10U soccer tournament.

The good news for you is this is the last year you have to worry about Saturday football, I'm assuming he'll play in school next year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2021, 08:58:50 AM »

And I was coaching U11 last year and this is how I watched the OU game. I thought I saw a score on the bottom line after I turned the tv on but before I got the DVR fired up, so it was an extra special surprise when we didn't blow the lead that I thought we did.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2021, 09:08:50 AM »
While we're discussing this, it's amazing how little middle school administrators care about middle school sports. Club sports definitely go harder. My daughter has had back to back cross country meets cancelled on total bullshit. Last Thursday she couldn't run because their bus was cancelled. They didn't give parents the option of taking our own kids to the meet. Yesterday the meet was cancelled by the host school because of a thunderstorm watch. Not thunder, not rain, not a thunderstorm warning, just a watch. It ended up raining for 10 minutes, an hour and a half before the meet was scheduled to start. The Ames coaches didn't practice after the cancellation.

crap is frustrating.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »
I’ll prob just give tix away. Kid game is at 1 pm, and at home. May try to book it over for second half. Who knows?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2021, 08:34:02 PM »
So, my kid has been doing competition cheer for ten years now. As she has moved up the levels, she is level 5 of 6, the difficulty and risk of injury increases, obviously. Over the years she has had a few minor injuries like Achille’s strains, broken fingers and a broken nose and then two years ago she broke her hand and had to have surgery to have screws put in. A few weeks ago she was diagnosed with stress fractures of 3 vertebra. Not as serious it sounds but still she’s out 6 weeks wearing a brace and then physical therapy for 4 more weeks.  But she loves it and can’t wait to get back on the mat. Yesterday, a teammate broke her neck doing a back tuck. Surgery last night and the doctors are hopeful she’ll get use of her upper body when the swelling goes down but it’s doubtful she’ll walk again. I’m a little freaked out. My wife and I are trying to decide if after our daughter recovers we pull her from competition cheer and not let her tumble for high school cheer.  Pretty much guaranteeing she won’t make the school cheer team next year. It may sound crazy but it is really a tough decision to make. It’s pretty much all she’s ever known. All her friends are from cheer.  So, at least I have 4 more weeks but I’m dreading it.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2021, 08:45:56 PM »
Dang, that is really tough and scary.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2021, 08:47:57 PM »
I’m sorry man, that sounds stressful as hell. I just had one of my first talks with my son because one of his friends is a complete idiot so can only imagine the many tougher conversations to come. I think one thing I have learned in my limited experience is just leveling with your daughter and sharing your feelings and that she is so important to you that you are scared for her safety and want to protect her. Whatever you decide I think telling her that would be good.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »
It sounds like the coaches are being extremely reckless and irresponsible and putting kids in danger but I don't know the sport. Are there other, maybe less intense club options?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
I’m sorry man, that sounds stressful as hell. I just had one of my first talks with my son because one of his friends is a complete idiot so can only imagine the many tougher conversations to come. I think one thing I have learned in my limited experience is just leveling with your daughter and sharing your feelings and that she is so important to you that you are scared for her safety and want to protect her. Whatever you decide I think telling her that would be good.
Thanks, bud. That’s good advice.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »
It sounds like the coaches are being extremely reckless and irresponsible and putting kids in danger but I don't know the sport. Are there other, maybe less intense club options?
Because of my daughters back injury she wasn’t at this practice so we don’t know exactly how it happened and the coaches have not really offered up much information.  I feel that at the very least they need to let everyone know what happened and what they’re going to do to prevent something like this from happening again.  We’ll see.

There are definitely lower risk options. She could drop down to a lower level team.  It would be hard after 10’years of going to the gym 5-6 days week to improve your skills to move up to just move down a couple of levels. I’m pretty sure she would opt for the free time she would gain w/o practices over leveling down.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2021, 10:14:34 PM »

It isn't the coaches, it's the sport
For high school girls and college women, cheerleading is far more dangerous than any other sport, according to a new report that adds several previously unreported cases of serious injuries to a growing list.

High school cheerleading accounted for 65.1 percent of all catastrophic sports injuries among high school females over the past 25 years, according to an annual report released Monday by the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research.

The new estimate is up from 55 percent in last year's study. The researches say the true number of cheerleading injuries appears to be higher than they had previously thought. And these are not ankle sprains. The report counts fatal, disabling and serious injuries.

The statistics are equally grim in college, where cheerleading accounted for 66.7 percent of all female sports catastrophic injuries, compared to the past estimate of 59.4 percent.

That being said IC, I have a daughter just starting cheer, non competitive at this point. We're aware of the dangers and we're going to let her do it as much as she wants. She's a dancer so I hope she ditches cheer for dance but she'll make that choice. She's very tall and muscular so she won't be doing aerials, so that's helpful too.

If she's good at it and it's a spark for her, don't take it away, there's risk in everything and she won't have a lifetime of what ifs. If it becomes too dangerous for her to handle, she'll make the decision herself.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
Thanks for the input, MIR. No decision one way or the other has been made yet.