Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 5117 times)

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gucci Mane Book Reader
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2021, 07:52:29 AM »
My 10 year-old can't wait to turn 13 and compete in Fortnite tournaments.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »
Heh

The high price of playing on competitive squads is the chief criticism of youth soccer in the U.S., with costs including club and tournament fees and increasingly distant travel. The Mewises spent between $10,000-$12,000 a year on the girls’ soccer starting in their mid-teens.

To afford that investment, Bob supplemented the income from his full-time work for a firm that estimated costs for construction projects. He took on weekend jobs building, roofing or framing houses, joining his athletic daughters in soreness and fatigue.

It's completely unnecessary. The Gold Cup match on Sunday began between USA and Canada on Sunday had something like 13 of the 22 players on the field who played college soccer. America's hottest young player, Daryl Dike didn't play in the development academy, he just played at his local club and his big brother and sister are professional soccer players.

I love Astead Wesley, it would be great if people told the story of the hundreds of successful American athletes who's parents didn't burn tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars chasing glory.

If you're good you'll be found.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
I agree with everything you say.

But  gen x parents think they can pay their way to an edge and the clubs let them believe it across all sports. I have friends that have middle schoolers who aren’t playing middle school sports for their schools because the teams aren’t good/as good and they just keep playing club.

My wife coaches high school bball  and they struggle to get 3 full high school teams. Softball and basketball are dying for girls. Volleyball soccer are doing fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2021, 03:13:12 PM »
I agree with everything you say.

But  gen x parents think they can pay their way to an edge and the clubs let them believe it across all sports. I have friends that have middle schoolers who aren’t playing middle school sports for their schools because the teams aren’t good/as good and they just keep playing club.

My wife coaches high school bball  and they struggle to get 3 full high school teams. Softball and basketball are dying for girls. Volleyball soccer are doing fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we're doing the complete opposite. Now that my daughter is in middle school club sports are over. Cross Country in the fall, basketball in the winter, soccer in the spring. I'm so happy to be liberated from club sports, until the 2 year old gets old enough anyway.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2021, 04:59:13 PM »
Reading this thread makes me happy I raised nerds. Chorus and drama. Only traveled a couple times a year.