Author Topic: amazing animal stories thread (post your own)  (Read 238495 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: amazing animal stories thread (post your own)
« Reply #2575 on: April 07, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
I saw this big ass bird in Fort Greene Park. I thought it was going to attack one of the many small dogs or babies in the park. Falcon? Hawk? Eagle?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: April 07, 2023, 11:36:01 AM »
That's Charlie. Just don't eff with him, alright?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: April 07, 2023, 02:28:29 PM »
Homie is going to dish out some serious bird justice
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 07, 2023, 02:44:20 PM »
Just crack a knee
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 09, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: April 15, 2023, 09:55:49 AM »
Family of foxes have taken up residence under our neighbors wood deck.  Tater has not been introduced yet.  They have 5 pups as they've been seen playing in the yard.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: April 15, 2023, 05:14:20 PM »
what adorable animals.  your neighbors are fortunate.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: April 15, 2023, 05:16:48 PM »
Foxes are very cute
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: April 15, 2023, 05:40:20 PM »
The most regal of the canines
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: April 15, 2023, 05:55:39 PM »
The most regal of the canines

i’ve always referred to them in all of my animal literature as nature’s organic blend of a cat and a dog

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 23, 2023, 08:13:09 PM »
Paging @sys

Was playing some golf with some coworkers this evening in KC and about 20 yards away from the tee box there was a large black snake (maybe 3ftish) slithering around. Everyone was freaking out but I went up to look at it and was like "Nah, just a rat snake(no idea what it was but it was bigger than any water snakes I've seen) he's good".

It was 3 dudes and 1 female and by the time we had tee'd off the snake was pretty much next to the women's tee box and she wouldn't get close to it. I gently lifted it with a club and threw it over in the tall grass next to the pond and play continued. 75% sure someone would have beat it to death with a golf club if I was not there but thanks to sys teaching me that most snakes are harmless it got to live.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: May 23, 2023, 08:18:44 PM »
juvenile mountain lion

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: May 23, 2023, 08:19:29 PM »
Paging @sys

Was playing some golf with some coworkers this evening in KC and about 20 yards away from the tee box there was a large black snake (maybe 3ftish) slithering around. Everyone was freaking out but I went up to look at it and was like "Nah, just a rat snake(no idea what it was but it was bigger than any water snakes I've seen) he's good".

It was 3 dudes and 1 female and by the time we had tee'd off the snake was pretty much next to the women's tee box and she wouldn't get close to it. I gently lifted it with a club and threw it over in the tall grass next to the pond and play continued. 75% sure someone would have beat it to death with a golf club if I was not there but thanks to sys teaching me that most snakes are harmless it got to live.

I hope the albino squirrel steers clear of it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 23, 2023, 08:39:51 PM »
good job, ben ji.  you were right, it was a rat snake.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: May 23, 2023, 10:46:33 PM »
Black snakes can climb trees and one time I was standing right under one and when a friend told me to look up it scared the crap out of me.  It didn't do anything, thx. gawd.  Also, black snakes get quite large and do like to bite.  I know since I have been bitten several times over the years.  Only one time I can remember bleeding from a bite.
If Benji should get really brave a pick one up, don't worry about the bite as long as you wash the wound with hydrogen peroxide asap.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: May 23, 2023, 10:57:11 PM »
I saw a juvenile cat (black) hunting in the grass near the chipotle at 29th and Rick in Wichita tonight about 9:30. Sat and watched him for awhile, both worried that it seemed to be a dangerous place for a cat to be hanging out, and intrigued at watching him hunt (prob bugs and stuff).

He seemed to be having fun. I gave him the "kitty kitty," but he didn't come. Thought about taking him home. Opened the car door to get out and see if he liked to get pets, but off a good 20-yards or so to hunt more bugs.

Seemed like a good sign that he was prob a stray/feral. Made me feel better about his chances of not being flattened. I don't think a pet cat would survive long there.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: May 23, 2023, 11:00:50 PM »
There is a gaggle of geese and lots of growing babies out by our house. Last weekend we had a party for mothers day and our youngest son's birthday and someone notice the local fox casing the joint. We watched him stake the scene out for a while keeping a low profile.

One goose was on high alert pretty early and it was cool to watch the dance between the fox (very stealthy) and the geese, once the whole crew got put on high alert.

Probably been a great couple of weeks for the fox while those goslings grow. Not so much for some of the unfortunate babies.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: May 23, 2023, 11:02:44 PM »
I saw a juvenile cat (black) hunting in the grass near the chipotle at 29th and Rick in Wichita tonight about 9:30. Sat and watched him for awhile, both worried that it seemed to be a dangerous place for a cat to be hanging out, and intrigued at watching him hunt (prob bugs and stuff).

He seemed to be having fun. I gave him the "kitty kitty," but he didn't come. Thought about taking him home. Opened the car door to get out and see if he liked to get pets, but off a good 20-yards or so to hunt more bugs.

Seemed like a good sign that he was prob a stray/feral. Made me feel better about his chances of not being flattened. I don't think a pet cat would survive long there.

I agree completely.  :crossfingers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: May 26, 2023, 11:56:28 PM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: June 02, 2023, 05:41:23 PM »
@sys check out this beaut from Osage City, KS

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: June 02, 2023, 05:46:22 PM »
That's a classic Black Tree Snake.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 02, 2023, 06:38:01 PM »
fantastic snake.

Offline porky morgan

• Not the real Porky Morgan
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 16, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »
This Cooper's Hawk hit my glass door this morning full speed and knocked itself TF out. I thought it was dead. Then it stirred and eventually got on its feet but was super woozy. That's this photo. Eventually it got its head up and began to respond to movement, etc. But wasn't gonna go anywhere. After another hour or two I called the Raptor Recovery place and they sent a guy out with a net. The bird had enough in him to avoid the net and fly into some tall trees next to the house. Raptor guy said welp. He said it may just be concussed and if it doesn't get hit by an owl overnight it might make it. Hope so.
FYI, a full speed raptor hitting the window makes a very loud thump.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 16, 2023, 07:51:44 PM »
This Cooper's Hawk hit my glass door this morning full speed and knocked itself TF out. I thought it was dead. Then it stirred and eventually got on its feet but was super woozy. That's this photo. Eventually it got its head up and began to respond to movement, etc. But wasn't gonna go anywhere. After another hour or two I called the Raptor Recovery place and they sent a guy out with a net. The bird had enough in him to avoid the net and fly into some tall trees next to the house. Raptor guy said welp. He said it may just be concussed and if it doesn't get hit by an owl overnight it might make it. Hope so.
FYI, a full speed raptor hitting the window makes a very loud thump.
I was riding in the backseat of a car one time and noticed a hawk cruising along the side of the highway. I was watching it for a bit then it turned in front of the car and flew right into the windshield.

All I could say was "watch out" then BOOM.

Put a crack in the windshield.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile