Author Topic: songs in your heavy rotation  (Read 28017 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: songs in your heavy rotation
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2024, 02:12:30 PM »
I can see songs from the new Vampire Weekend album entering my heavy rotation, but I don't know which one yet.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2024, 02:25:35 PM »
I can see songs from the new Vampire Weekend album entering my heavy rotation, but I don't know which one yet.

When you figure it out, update this thread. I'm a fan, but I don't have the attention span to sit down and listen to the whole album. I need some guidance.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2024, 10:56:21 AM »
Allow me, gentlemen.  Ice Cream Piano has been my obsession for the better part of the last week.

The little accidental on the "you" of "No one can hear you" and at that point in the melody throughout the rest of the song is so good.  And the pickup at around 1:16 is absolutely vintage VW.  And then in the second (third?) verse where the track gets a little more muted and you can hear the drums and rhythm guitar a little more -- so smooth. I've been messing around with it on the piano for the last couple days, and I was a little surprised that the melody is a lot simpler than i thought.  I expected it to be a lot more complex.  Good pop music, man.

First time I heard it (last Sunday) I remember thinking to myself "THIS is the Vampire Weekend I first started liking."  I've liked some of their other styles, but Ice Cream Piano feels closest to the great songs from their debut album. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2024, 11:06:25 AM »
Allow me, gentlemen.  Ice Cream Piano has been my obsession for the better part of the last week.

The little accidental on the "you" of "No one can hear you" and at that point in the melody throughout the rest of the song is so good.  And the pickup at around 1:16 is absolutely vintage VW.  And then in the second (third?) verse where the track gets a little more muted and you can hear the drums and rhythm guitar a little more -- so smooth. I've been messing around with it on the piano for the last couple days, and I was a little surprised that the melody is a lot simpler than i thought.  I expected it to be a lot more complex.  Good pop music, man.

First time I heard it (last Sunday) I remember thinking to myself "THIS is the Vampire Weekend I first started liking."  I've liked some of their other styles, but Ice Cream Piano feels closest to the great songs from their debut album.

Great track. They went a bit dark with Modern Vampires of the City, although even that had some absolute bangers.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 10, 2024, 11:15:59 AM »

... and I was a little surprised that the melody is a lot simpler than i thought.  I expected it to be a lot more complex. 

It really helps when it's in the key of Cmaj. It's in C, right?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2024, 11:20:28 AM »

Great track. They went a bit dark with Modern Vampires of the City, although even that had some absolute bangers.
Yes.  I've really liked songs from all of their albums - even (especially?) the experimental type stuff on MVotC.   Father of the Bride was largely a miss for me (though "Hold You Now" is still a regular listen for me).

But Ice Cream Piano feels the most in line with the original sound that really drew me in in the first place.  Upbeat, poppy, heavy strings. 

... and I was a little surprised that the melody is a lot simpler than i thought.  I expected it to be a lot more complex. 

It really helps when it's in the key of Cmaj. It's in C, right?
Yeah.   

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2024, 11:26:17 AM »
Any other bangers from Only God Was Above Us?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2024, 11:28:15 AM »
And I will slightly disagree with you on the sound. The first two albums had, to my ear, distinct Paul Simon and zydeco influences. I don't hear those, here.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2024, 11:29:10 AM »
I listened to it all the way through on Sunday a couple times, but since then I've been solely preoccupied with ICP (WOOP WOOP!). 

Sitting here without looking back at the tracklist, I remember liking Capricorn.  Gen X Cops was OK, but didn't do a lot for me.  The last track (which is very long) seemed like one they were pretty proud of, but didn't move my needle much.

Anyway, it's a solid album.  I'd throw the whole thing on and see if anything jumps out.  I found this album much more exciting than Father of the Bride.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2024, 11:31:32 AM »
And I will slightly disagree with you on the sound. The first two albums had, to my ear, distinct Paul Simon and zydeco influences. I don't hear those, here.
IDK.  This feels like it would fit in well with the likes of M79 and Walcott.  Walcott in particular.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2024, 11:41:30 AM »
I listened to it all the way through on Sunday a couple times, but since then I've been solely preoccupied with ICP (WOOP WOOP!). 

Sitting here without looking back at the tracklist, I remember liking Capricorn.  Gen X Cops was OK, but didn't do a lot for me.  The last track (which is very long) seemed like one they were pretty proud of, but didn't move my needle much.

Anyway, it's a solid album.  I'd throw the whole thing on and see if anything jumps out.  I found this album much more exciting than Father of the Bride.

Alright, I'll give it a digital spin.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2024, 01:20:45 PM »

Alright, I'll give it a digital spin.
My favorites have been Classical, Connect, Prep-School Gangsters, and Pravda.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2024, 01:46:36 PM »
I listened to it kind of passively. There were some vestiges of their older work, such as the 1, (pause), 3-and 4 drum beats. It sounded pleasant to me, but I'll need to listen more actively later.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2024, 02:23:40 PM »
ezra still does that weird thing with the letter "r" (back to back examples in the opening track at 2:53-2:54).
it's an affectation that was quirky and mildly annoying in 2008, but in 2024 it's like grow up man why do you still talk like that

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2024, 03:02:38 PM »
ezra still does that weird thing with the letter "r" (back to back examples in the opening track at 2:53-2:54).
it's an affectation that was quirky and mildly annoying in 2008, but in 2024 it's like grow up man why do you still talk like that

It's like the Boston Brahmins (looks it up).

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2024, 04:42:08 PM »
It’s the year of our Lord 2024 and I’ve just discovered Rod Wave.

:emawkid:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile