Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1050692 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #2200 on: March 23, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »
So usually pols at least make some pretense and connecting their agenda items to the relief bill. My gawd they’re not even trying at this point. Why we desperately need a media that holds both sides equally accountable.

like defunding planned parenthood?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ag55g/republicans-coronavirus-emergency-legislation-abortion-restrictions

Not sure if you read the article you linked, but the Pubs have not attempted to insert a provision in this bill “defunding Planned Parenthood.” They likewise did not do that in the 2016 Zika relief bill. The provisions do  not attempt to strip current funding, but whether PP has access to the relief funds.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 23, 2020, 01:46:19 PM »
So if the COVID19 deaths go above abortions per year in this country is that the time dub starts caring?  Pro-life and all.

I think women can carry babies to term without destroying the economy.... That’s a facebook-meme level of dumb right there.

We make decisions every day that accept some risk of loss of life so as to live in a functioning society and economy. The article I linked a page or two back runs through many of these. The “save one life” mantra is a really poor argument for these restrictions.

So really it's economy first, life second for you?  That's fine, just want to make sure I have it right how "pro-life" people really are.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 23, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
So if the COVID19 deaths go above abortions per year in this country is that the time dub starts caring?  Pro-life and all.

I think women can carry babies to term without destroying the economy.... That’s a facebook-meme level of dumb right there.

We make decisions every day that accept some risk of loss of life so as to live in a functioning society and economy. The article I linked a page or two back runs through many of these. The “save one life” mantra is a really poor argument for these restrictions.

So really it's economy first, life second for you?  That's fine, just want to make sure I have it right how "pro-life" people really are.

Yeah, you’re still ignoring basic common sense. I’ll grab you the link. Maybe you’ll realize after reading it what a dumb argument you’re making. We save tens of thousands of lives each year by reducing all speed limits to 25mph, but we don’t do that for obvious reasons.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 23, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
Better post it before it gets taken down.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 23, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »

Yeah, you’re still ignoring basic common sense. I’ll grab you the link. Maybe you’ll realize after reading it what a dumb argument you’re making.

there is no argument being made though.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: March 23, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »

Abortion improves the economy. We wouldn't have anywhere near the economic devastation we are currently having were abortion not legal, but I think it's pretty much indisputable that the economy would be worse.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 23, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
Now if we want to get into a cost analysis of every unborn baby that could serve as a good comparison for these economic implications. Justwin, little help here.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 23, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1242149949804077057

This is interesting, and pretty wildly different than I would say. My approval power rankings would be:

Govt health agencies
(city/metro gov)
American people

Media
Congress

Governor
Trump
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 23, 2020, 02:14:24 PM »
Do you live in MO, Lib?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 23, 2020, 02:24:39 PM »
Yes
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 23, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »
I know it isn't palatable to you, and I absolutely get it, I feel the same way, but the only solution here is a governmental solution. It won't happen but the instant/temporary UBI is the best solution I've seen. Private sector solutions won't work because the scale is too small and there are too many disparate agendas.

Disparate agendas are why governments won’t do crap.

Bout to get those trump checks tho

I just looked this up on cnn and this was the start of the article.

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration's proposal to inject $850 billion into the economy as the coronavirus pandemic becomes increasingly dire is facing resistance from Senate Democrats who are instead pushing their own alternative plan for relief.

The clash is a sign that the administration's push marks just the start of what may be intense negotiations around what can be done next, even as lawmakers on both sides call for quick action.

It's going to get done and it will happen within the next 36 hours. I don't think any president should be able to spend nearly a trillion dollars without scrutiny, no matter the reason.

:impatient:

:frown:

I thought that deep down we were dealing with actual good people, guess I was wrong.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 23, 2020, 02:38:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1242149949804077057

This is interesting, and pretty wildly different than I would say. My approval power rankings would be:

Govt health agencies
(city/metro gov)
American people

Media
Congress

Governor
Trump

This needs to be updated to have congress #1 way at the bottom, no?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 23, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
I know it isn't palatable to you, and I absolutely get it, I feel the same way, but the only solution here is a governmental solution. It won't happen but the instant/temporary UBI is the best solution I've seen. Private sector solutions won't work because the scale is too small and there are too many disparate agendas.

Disparate agendas are why governments won’t do crap.

Bout to get those trump checks tho

I just looked this up on cnn and this was the start of the article.

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration's proposal to inject $850 billion into the economy as the coronavirus pandemic becomes increasingly dire is facing resistance from Senate Democrats who are instead pushing their own alternative plan for relief.

The clash is a sign that the administration's push marks just the start of what may be intense negotiations around what can be done next, even as lawmakers on both sides call for quick action.

It's going to get done and it will happen within the next 36 hours. I don't think any president should be able to spend nearly a trillion dollars without scrutiny, no matter the reason.

:impatient:

:frown:

I thought that deep down we were dealing with actual good people, guess I was wrong.

I was going to ask. Is the state of Washington allowing furloughed workers to get unemployment benefits?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 23, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »
I was going to ask. Is the state of Washington allowing furloughed workers to get unemployment benefits?

I'm not sure how smoothly it's going, but there is a premise for it.  I only know because the bar owner posted on facebook a stack of letters she'd gotten from the unemployment office as "progress" that things were moving swiftly.  I zoomed in and saw they were all denials of "standby" unemployment.  Looked that up and it's for people who are furloughed with the expectation of going back within 4 weeks, and makes it where they don't have to go through the song & dance of applying for new jobs.  Her crew got denied because they couldn't say they'd be hired back within 4 weeks, although the letter indicated that if the employer says they'll be back within 8 weeks and is cool w/taking the ding on their UI for that, then it'd be approved.  I assume she's done that, as her crew getting money was her biggest motivator for just closing entirely rather than trying to turn into a carry-out business.

I also think they may have gotten approved, but just not of the "standby" type, which probably means they just have to fill out some token job applications each week.

The ones who are black should apply to be NFL head coaches and GMs, and then both sides can be getting something out of the teams' token  rooney rule interviews.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 23, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »

:lol:  I had no doubts we weren't.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 23, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »
This guy is much sharper than Trump.  Here a sample of the info. he's giving to New York:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/governor-cuomo-on-the-wave-of-coronavirus-cases-hitting-new-york/vi-BB11Ax4J?ocid=spartandhp
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 23, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 23, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »
Remember when kids were eating tide pods?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 23, 2020, 04:03:18 PM »

#sanctityoflife
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: March 23, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
What is our predicted inflection point?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: March 23, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
What is our predicted inflection point?

good question.  hinges on whether our partial and more voluntary lockdowns and shelter in places replicate italy's lockdown.  it looks like italy's point was about 10 days after imposing the nationwide lockdown.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: March 23, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1242181578891157504

this is much closer to shooting someone in the middle of Park avenue or whatever than i expected to see irl