Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1068047 times)

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #2175 on: March 23, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »
exponentiation is hard

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 23, 2020, 10:50:53 AM »
exponentiation is hard

It's really determining where the top of the curve that levels off into an S shape is going to be that is difficult. The growth up to that point is middle school math.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 23, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
exponentiation is hard

It's really determining where the top of the curve that levels off into an S shape is going to be that is difficult. The growth up to that point is middle school math.

Next appearance when the numbers are bad, the excuse will be “co-morbidity” and “life years” and “we never count pneumonia deaths to the flu!”

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 23, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
Kind of surprised to learn that hospitals use Clorox wipes.

you now what surprised the crap out of me one time? if they have to drill screws into your bones or open up your skull they use like DeWalt power tools. I guess I always assumed there was some high tech medical drill or something. nope, whatever was on sale at Home Depot.

Got my fibula drilled into in October, canco.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 23, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »
The real problem with the economic argument for “doing nothing” is that the US can’t control the global economy and if Trump was really out there saying “everything is fine, ignore the response that literally every other nation is taking, we will be fine.” How are we even going to recognize all of these economic benefits? Like there would still be tons of investor panic, airlines and hotels and hospitality still take a big hit, eventually as numbers of infected increase you get local responses and the social unrest would be enormous. I haven’t heard a good response to this point other than to deny that many people would get sick and to just assert that everything else would proceed normally.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 23, 2020, 11:04:17 AM »
That power tool thing is probably the best thing I’ve heard about the medical industry in some time. Good for docs not getting duped by suppliers trying to reinvent the wheel.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 23, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »
The real problem with the economic argument for “doing nothing” is that the US can’t control the global economy and if Trump was really out there saying “everything is fine, ignore the response that literally every other nation is taking, we will be fine.” How are we even going to recognize all of these economic benefits? Like there would still be tons of investor panic, airlines and hotels and hospitality still take a big hit, eventually as numbers of infected increase you get local responses and the social unrest would be enormous. I haven’t heard a good response to this point other than to deny that many people would get sick and to just assert that everything else would proceed normally.
It’s because it rests on the assumption that the overall impact to health and the economy will be essentially identical to the impact caused by the flu.

Of course, to make that argument you have to ignore the warnings of basically any qualified professional and rely on data from countries who took extreme measures at curbing the impact of COVID-19 as proof that “it really isn’t as bad as they’re saying.”

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 23, 2020, 11:47:59 AM »
Hmmmm, maybe I can simply lie my way out of this one

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1242126038773137409

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »
The "I didn't know I couldn't do that" defense is a staple in maga politics
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 23, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
Kind of surprised to learn that hospitals use Clorox wipes.

you now what surprised the crap out of me one time? if they have to drill screws into your bones or open up your skull they use like DeWalt power tools. I guess I always assumed there was some high tech medical drill or something. nope, whatever was on sale at Home Depot.

Got my fibula drilled into in October, canco.

I worked in medical devices with design of specialty bone drills. They’re just an electric motor in a casing. For surgery/ER uses DeWalt and the like make the best drills so there’s no real way for medical to improve.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 23, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
what is she doing

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 23, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
They cannot help themselves.  Not a single one

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 23, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
Yeah either party directly and efficiently addressing the issue would have been a pleasant surprise. Both doing so simultaneously would have been a miracle.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
any congress person trying to take the moral highground here can suck eggs, iyam.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 23, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 23, 2020, 12:42:35 PM »
So if the COVID19 deaths go above abortions per year in this country is that the time dub starts caring?  Pro-life and all.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 23, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »
good thread on testing data and how there's still a lot to learn

https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1242133298677198848

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 23, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »
I know it isn't palatable to you, and I absolutely get it, I feel the same way, but the only solution here is a governmental solution. It won't happen but the instant/temporary UBI is the best solution I've seen. Private sector solutions won't work because the scale is too small and there are too many disparate agendas.

Disparate agendas are why governments won’t do crap.

Bout to get those trump checks tho

I just looked this up on cnn and this was the start of the article.

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration's proposal to inject $850 billion into the economy as the coronavirus pandemic becomes increasingly dire is facing resistance from Senate Democrats who are instead pushing their own alternative plan for relief.

The clash is a sign that the administration's push marks just the start of what may be intense negotiations around what can be done next, even as lawmakers on both sides call for quick action.

It's going to get done and it will happen within the next 36 hours. I don't think any president should be able to spend nearly a trillion dollars without scrutiny, no matter the reason.

:impatient:

:frown:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 23, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »
So if the COVID19 deaths go above abortions per year in this country is that the time dub starts caring?  Pro-life and all.

I think women can carry babies to term without destroying the economy.... That’s a facebook-meme level of dumb right there.

We make decisions every day that accept some risk of loss of life so as to live in a functioning society and economy. The article I linked a page or two back runs through many of these. The “save one life” mantra is a really poor argument for these restrictions.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 23, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/rachelbovard/status/1242116258834845710?s=21
:blindfold:

So usually pols at least make some pretense and connecting their agenda items to the relief bill. My gawd they’re not even trying at this point. Why we desperately need a media that holds both sides equally accountable.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 23, 2020, 01:26:23 PM »
My company is reducing hours for hourly and salary to 30/wk. Gives them time to clean the shop between shifts, still enough hours to provide full benefits, and allows everyone to make up the lost hours with some KS unemployment program that the company deals with and employees will not need to file for.

On the positive, it looks like I'll be able to sleep in an extra hour or so for the near future  :Woot:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 23, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »
Personally, this has kinda been amazing for me. I’ve been “working from home” for the past week, and I’ve found that it really only takes me 3-4 hours to get my crap done each day. I miss the gym. I’ve been running a lot and my times are killer. Ran 10 miles this morning at 7:45 pace. If this spring Half M isn’t cancelled, I’m going to PR. But I still miss the social interaction at the gym. Also miss Wichita Brewing $2 pint nights.

As long as the weather is nice, having the kids home from school is doable. Today is great. Spring is in the air. A few days ago when I was shut inside with nowhere to take them - that sucked.

All in all, this has in some ways been fun. But I have the luxury of having a great job that is deemed essential. Lots and lots of people with little to no savings are being laid off or furloughed and that really sucks. The amount of harm we’re doing to these folks isn’t rational. It isn’t proportional. $1,000 checks aren’t going to save them. Some interest free loans aren’t going to save all these businesses that are going broke. I don’t think many journalists or politicians are in this boat. I think they might be a bit more circumspect about taking such extreme measures if they were.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:42:26 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 23, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
So usually pols at least make some pretense and connecting their agenda items to the relief bill. My gawd they’re not even trying at this point. Why we desperately need a media that holds both sides equally accountable.

like defunding planned parenthood?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ag55g/republicans-coronavirus-emergency-legislation-abortion-restrictions