Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1102088 times)

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #2075 on: March 22, 2020, 01:10:18 PM »
I mean maybe they did the math. Cause the estimated death toll reported to the WH was over the number you think would justify the measures we’re taking.

Sweeping new federal recommendations announced on Monday for Americans to sharply limit their activities appeared to draw on a dire scientific report warning that, without action by the government and individuals to slow the spread of coronavirus and suppress new cases, 2.2 million people in the United States could die.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/coronavirus-fatality-rate-white-house.html

The current measures being undertaken were not and are not going to save all of those people and current measures are not as severe as what is in the report.  Even in the report, they don't claim that all of those people are going to be saved. 

We find that that optimal mitigation policies (combining home isolation of suspect cases, home quarantine of those living in the same household as suspect cases, and social distancing of the
elderly and others at most risk of severe disease) might reduce peak healthcare demand by 2/3 and deaths by half. However, the resulting mitigated epidemic would still likely result in hundreds of
thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over.

Additionally, you have to implement these policies for 18 months to get the maximum number of deaths averted.  People will not stand for these measures enduring for many months, let alone for 18 months.  The report is also based on an IFR or CFR of 0.9%, which is likely double what it truly is.  This has a big impact on the potential benefits.
I gotta be honest, it feels like you’re moving the goalposts which is a bunch of malarkey IYAM.

I asked what projected death total would justify our current measure and you said 1-2 million. Now you’re telling me that’s only if you could guarantee it would save the entire 1-2 million?

Moving the goalposts?  The marginal benefit is always what matters.  The absolute numbers themselves are not.  If the lives lost with no actions is 10 million and the lives lost with action is 8 million, that is no different than going from 4 million lives lost to 2 million lives lost.  That is why I speak in terms of QALYs gained and deaths averted.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: March 22, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
Man there are a lot of really long posts I’m not reading right now from this guy.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: March 22, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »
go Iceland

https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1241686739862913024
If the new 45 minute test turns out to be effective and scalable, I think this is our quickest path to business as usual. Test the crap out of everyone.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: March 22, 2020, 01:26:12 PM »
go Iceland

https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1241686739862913024
If the new 45 minute test turns out to be effective and scalable, I think this is our quickest path to business as usual. Test the crap out of everyone.

Yep, especially if they can be self administered and easily distributed.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: March 22, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
What’s the bottleneck on increasing capacity temporarily?  I assume it’s qualified medical staff and not as much facilities and equipment.   Could folks like Dentists and physical therapists and others with some medical training be utilized if we could find the space and equipment to put more people?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: March 22, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »
yeah nevermind i actually prefer blacked out wacky yelling at tbt

:lol: my man...

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: March 22, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
Also, I'm shocked that math bores mocat.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: March 22, 2020, 02:17:02 PM »
I've been wondering about this too! Is it production of test kits or processing of test (personel and equipment). My guess is lab availability of a quick turn around test (we don't probably have high capacity in a quick turnaround test that doesn't need specialized equipment, but idk what is the turn around time for say South Korea's test for example).

What’s the bottleneck on increasing capacity temporarily?  I assume it’s qualified medical staff and not as much facilities and equipment.   Could folks like Dentists and physical therapists and others with some medical training be utilized if we could find the space and equipment to put more people?

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of equipment (both PPE for staff and swabs for taking the sample), personnel, and lab capacity. It isn't like these labs were idle before all this started.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/18/817801222/testing-swabs-run-in-short-supply-as-makers-try-to-speed-up-production

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: March 22, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
I actually meant more hospital type capacity to treat those with critical cases.  Like instead of flattening the curve increasing the capacity to absorb a more pronounced peak in demand.  I haven’t seen it talked about much so I assume it’s not really an option.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: March 22, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »
Did you guys know, according to the CDC, that 400-500 Americans are dying every week right now from the flu? Another 2000-3000 per week are dying from flu related Pneumonia? That's crazy.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: March 22, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
I actually meant more hospital type capacity to treat those with critical cases.  Like instead of flattening the curve increasing the capacity to absorb a more pronounced peak in demand.  I haven’t seen it talked about much so I assume it’s not really an option.
I think that’s being implemented but it certainly is not feasible in its own. Can’t remember specifically the numbers but we have a capacity of under 200k in ICU’s right now and this could peak at over 900k if we don’t flatten the curve. Hospitals can’t increase capacity over 4x.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: March 22, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
Neighbors. My name is REDACTED, I work at The Nebraska Medical Center/UNMC. I am not a Doctor, I am not a Nurse. My job is to make sure that our front line healthcare workers have the equipment and supplies they need to do their jobs, which is taking care of all of us.

Many have asked how they can help during these unprecedented times which doesn’t surprise me in the least. As a longtime resident of REDACTED, I know the community always steps up when it needs to step up. There has never been a more critical time to step up than right now.

At Nebraska Medicine, we are truly the leaders in pandemic care and treatment. Our amazing workers have literally written the book that other hospitals around the world use to fight this and other pandemics. That being said, we are critically low on products to keep these workers, fighting for all of us, safe. Because of recent buying patterns, the supply chain for hand sanitizer, germicidal wipes (Clorox wipes), and N95 protective masks has temporarily dried up. The supply chain will catch back up, but we need them now. I am confident that many of us have a lifetime of hand sanitizer and germicidal wipes stashed under our kitchen sinks or in our cupboards.

My call to action is this…please reallocate your unopened inventories of hand sanitizer wipes and masks to those on the front line, that with all of your help will succeed at stopping the spread, allowing all of us to get back to whatever the new normal will become.

I have containers at REDACTED. Please consider donating your product so I can get it in the hands of our front line staff immediately.

If anybody has contacts for large quantities of these items from corporate America please feel free to reach out to me at REDACTED. We literally need all we can get.

Please feel free to increase this messages penetration and share it.

My most sincere thank you for anyone who is able to step up and help during this time. We must act now.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: March 22, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »

Field hospitals and medical ships sounds like the only real options

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: March 22, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
Been wondering how many places are doing drives like SD’s. Makes a lot of sense.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: March 22, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »
Did you guys know, according to the CDC, that 400-500 Americans are dying every week right now from the flu? Another 2000-3000 per week are dying from flu related Pneumonia? That's crazy.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

just think how high it would be without the flu vaccine or enough hospital beds to treat everyone!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: March 22, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
Kind of surprised to learn that hospitals use Clorox wipes.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: March 22, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »

you now what surprised the crap out of me one time? if they have to drill screws into your bones or open up your skull they use like DeWalt power tools. I guess I always assumed there was some high tech medical drill or something. nope, whatever was on sale at Home Depot.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: March 22, 2020, 03:06:39 PM »

A few I've heard:

cancel all elective surgeries
convert existing standard rooms to negative pressure isolation units
preparing to hook up multiple patients to a single ventilator

And of course quicker test turnaround helps because you can get suspected covid cases out of isolation units and into more traditional rooms or even send them home

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: March 22, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »
nurse relative of mine in wichita was exclusively elective surgery type nurse (I know nothing about nurses) but she took a voluntary 2 month furlough because the hospital was cancelling all of her work.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: March 22, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »

you now what surprised the crap out of me one time? if they have to drill screws into your bones or open up your skull they use like DeWalt power tools. I guess I always assumed there was some high tech medical drill or something. nope, whatever was on sale at Home Depot.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: March 22, 2020, 03:15:01 PM »

A few I've heard:

And of course quicker test turnaround helps because you can get suspected covid cases out of isolation units and into more traditional rooms or even send them home
Surgeon buddy basically staying at home now cause they already cancelled all elective surgeries.

I think Washington also changed its children’s hospitals to anyone under 21.

So there doing all they can right now I think. It just won’t be enough.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: March 22, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1241780756617273345

He must have one of those 45 minute Iceland tests. Surely he wouldn't have suspected he was carrying and then continue not to self-quarantine for the next four days.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: March 22, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »

A few I've heard:

Surgeon buddy basically staying at home now cause they already cancelled all elective surgeries.

I think Washington also changed its children’s hospitals to anyone under 21.

So there doing all they can right now I think. It just won’t be enough.

agree, even with the shelter in place measures it's gonna be ugly