Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1065212 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #1275 on: March 16, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »
The Mucc

https://twitter.com/scaramucci/status/1239548894339567617

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 16, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »
I'm glad to hear that. Were you tested?

yeah, feels good.  no, i wasn't tested (can't get tested in the united states, lol), but i think it's pretty safe to assume that i'm also negative.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 16, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
Ricky Sandler on CNBC right now talking about some options. Best one is that the government provides business interruption insurance coverage for all business who have to close under the condition they continue paying/don't lay off employees. handling it would be an absolute nightmare but seems like a reasonable move.

I think it should start with cash direct to workers. Simplest and probably the most effective.

I don't know if that was one of Ricky's options but I'd be OK with the business interruption insurance too.

do both, do it all.  just shove giant mountains of money in all directions.  there's almost no downside risk in doing too much.  shove the money out now, you can tax it back later if needed.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 16, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »
Agree

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 16, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
yep

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 16, 2020, 12:07:03 PM »
Boris just realized maybe he mumped up

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1239598164820275200

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 16, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
The free market's probably going to have to solve a lot of things by itself by being creative and going government-less or by serving up easy solutions to the government.  Politicians are going to be focused on scoring points by blaming the other side for the lack of any action.

I'd mentioned yesterday some theories on how the businesses could get shut down could be transformed into temporary options that would contribute to needs.

Quarter-baked idea:

A new need - childcare/education for children whose schools have shut down and who have parents that still work at actual workplaces.
A now shutdown resource - spaces that served as restaurants that now can't function, particularly if there's no work traffic around them to even survive on carryout.

Some coordination where those restaurants could be cleaned up and made safe and host 25-ish kids and keep their schooling going using the restaurant's wi-fi?  Get money funneled from local school districts to those restaurants to serve as the new restaurant income and give independent childcare/education workers a place to earn some money.

Shitloads of details I'm not considering and that may be completely untenable, but that's the sort of creativity I'd like to see in pairing new needs with now suddenly untapped resources to help some businesses and their employees survive in unique ways.

A lot of places here got shut down weeks ago just by people already somewhat voluntarily not trafficking and I know of at least one that did a transformation from fine dining to drive-through sandwiches and scaled down meal delivery.  They're probably going to have to think even more outside the box.  Maybe trying to do "office catering" but instead of to office buildings, to apartments and condos where hundreds of people are working from home but independently from each other.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 16, 2020, 12:11:40 PM »
How awesome would it be to have your daycare at mae's
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 16, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
It's gonna be irl Nathan For You around here.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 16, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »
“Adult American workers” wtf

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 16, 2020, 12:46:36 PM »
Child laborers just can’t catch a break

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 16, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »
The free market's probably going to have to solve a lot of things by itself by being creative and going government-less or by serving up easy solutions to the government.  Politicians are going to be focused on scoring points by blaming the other side for the lack of any action.

I'd mentioned yesterday some theories on how the businesses could get shut down could be transformed into temporary options that would contribute to needs.

Quarter-baked idea:

A new need - childcare/education for children whose schools have shut down and who have parents that still work at actual workplaces.
A now shutdown resource - spaces that served as restaurants that now can't function, particularly if there's no work traffic around them to even survive on carryout.

Some coordination where those restaurants could be cleaned up and made safe and host 25-ish kids and keep their schooling going using the restaurant's wi-fi?  Get money funneled from local school districts to those restaurants to serve as the new restaurant income and give independent childcare/education workers a place to earn some money.

Shitloads of details I'm not considering and that may be completely untenable, but that's the sort of creativity I'd like to see in pairing new needs with now suddenly untapped resources to help some businesses and their employees survive in unique ways.

A lot of places here got shut down weeks ago just by people already somewhat voluntarily not trafficking and I know of at least one that did a transformation from fine dining to drive-through sandwiches and scaled down meal delivery.  They're probably going to have to think even more outside the box.  Maybe trying to do "office catering" but instead of to office buildings, to apartments and condos where hundreds of people are working from home but independently from each other.

I will give you sincere credit for the idea, but it does little to nothing to mitigate social distancing, given that these kids have to be dropped off and picked up. There is zero percent chance that the all the parents of these 25 kids do nothing but go straight home and to work. In addition to this, it doesn't serve the purpose of keeping the hostesses, valets, wait staff, dishwashers, bussers, cooks, bartenders, etc. employed. Using the already designated school and day care spaces is far less risky.

I know it isn't palatable to you, and I absolutely get it, I feel the same way, but the only solution here is a governmental solution. It won't happen but the instant/temporary UBI is the best solution I've seen. Private sector solutions won't work because the scale is too small and there are too many disparate agendas.

Actually private sector could be a more efficient solution than the government but it would require Amazon, Wal-Mart, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway, and Alphabet to get together to do something.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 16, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
need free unlimited weed

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: March 16, 2020, 12:51:12 PM »
I took my kid to daycare today. What's the call on that? I signed a contract stating I had to use daycare working 100% remotely.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:54:32 PM by bucket »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 16, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
I took my kid to daycare today. What's the call on that? I signed a contract stating I had to use daycare working 100% remotely.

my kids are home. I work from home. We have the same language. but we've relaxed it based on this. you should ask your employer what the call is there.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 16, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
Boris just realized maybe he mumped up

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1239598164820275200

It would be satisfying to see british maga get dunked on if it weren't so dangerous to people.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 16, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
@420seriouscat69 Not ideal, but if your employer isn’t willing to make an exception it probably isn’t a huge deal as long as you’re self isolating.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 16, 2020, 01:00:05 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'll ask today.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 16, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
@420seriouscat69 Not ideal, but if your employer isn’t willing to make an exception it probably isn’t a huge deal as long as you’re self isolating.

guess who spent Saturday bar hopping?

FWIW wacks I think you are doing the best you can now and think you should ask for an exemption today

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 16, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »
I know it isn't palatable to you, and I absolutely get it, I feel the same way, but the only solution here is a governmental solution. It won't happen but the instant/temporary UBI is the best solution I've seen. Private sector solutions won't work because the scale is too small and there are too many disparate agendas.

Disparate agendas are why governments won’t do crap.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 16, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
Ha, as I was posting mine, bucket posted that cuomo-trump twit-fight, which is the extent of what governments are going to do for people.