Author Topic: Nigel Gone  (Read 99643 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nigel Gone
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2015, 10:51:04 AM »
I would just prefer being shot in the head if I'm going to be slowly burned to death

I don't equate being a basketball fan with anything close to life/death. :dunno:

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
I hope he fails miserably before it gets too bad.

But if there's anything that Frank/Huggs taught us it's that basketball can be turned around over night.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »
Dax Doctrine: Some K-Staters like coaches more than the school.

Some K-Staters like the school more than some coach, though. Some are willing to gamble the success of former on a under perfomring latter.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »
Doesn't seem noble. Just different ways of being a fan.
sanctimonious?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
It's amazing how much more patience GOSP has for oscar than he had for Prince. Like shocking really, he was gunning to Prince to be fired essentially as soon as he was hired.  But he still needs more time to figure out ole oscar-y boy. 

And its doubly ironic that he pulls this "I don't hate the program enought..." BS when he was rooting for the football team to lose because he wanted Prince out.

Oh my. I hated the Prince hire, yes. My argument was he was horribly unqualified. (Less qualified than Snyder when we hired him, even though our program was in a much better place, was how I put it.) I've argued in lots of posts that I prefer hiring coaches who have experience. I made the same argument against hiring Venables until he proved himself at Clemson in my eyes. I thought the whole Doug Gottlieb thing was a joke for the same reason.

But sure, stir the pot and label me a racist, bad person. (Sorry filter is on at work.)
So it was OK for you to have the opinion that Prince was a terrible hire and to not give him a chance because a) you didn't like the hire and b) didn't like his personality, but people who thought Weber was a terrible hire and didn't give him the full chance you think he should have received (and still should be getting) "hate oscar so much they want the program to fail"?

I doubt race has much part to play in your stance on this, but it all has to do with the fact that you liked oscar, liked what he stood for, liked the type of basketball you think he idealizes while you didn't like Prince, what he stood for, the style of football he played.   You didn't wait for Prince to fail two years in a row.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
Doesn't seem noble. Just different ways of being a fan.
sanctimonious?

I'm a much more critical fan than I used to be, in fact I used to fit in quite well with the typical gP group think. I would like to think I'm no longer at that point, but I will continue to be more positive in my outlooks on K-State sports teams than most on gE.

If that makes me sanctimonious, I guess you are correct.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
I've got news for those of you (like myself) who hope we are going to be good next season. We're going to be bad. Maybe really bad. SO THAT SUCKS.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2015, 11:05:15 AM »
I've got news for those of you (like myself) who hope we are going to be good next season. We're going to be bad. Maybe really bad. SO THAT SUCKS.

I would tend to agree with you steve dave.  :frown:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »
I want to be good next year because this year was just like a four month long trip to the dentist's office.

However, I also don't want this program to live in the oscar/Illinois purgatory that existed for the better part of 7 years, either.

This is a really tough game of "Would you rather?"  Would I rather be good next year, have some fun, and enjoy that short term knowing that the bottom can fall out at any minute (like it did this year), or would I rather see oscar gone and try to hire someone that I may like more and could give us Frank-like success, which is a more long term play?

I guess because I feel strongly that oscar is going to ultimately fail, I agree with the latter.  Maybe 70/30.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »
Well next year won't really count so maybe we can just put a big ol star next to our record next year.  I just don't think it would be fair to judge oscar based on the extreme circumstances our team will be facing.  If fact, anyone who does hold next year against oscar is clearly just showing an agenda.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »

I think he learned something at Illinois. There,he hung on to a talented problem child or two. Must have thought he could turn them around. He couldn't and it sent the team down the tubes.

We will see at Kansas State if his move of sending them packing works better. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, who knows.  Most would agree, something positive better happen on the court next year.

Some talented players don't follow the rules and are released. Duke let one go 2 months ago but then, Duke can fill those holes.

Who?  Richmond was gone after his freshman year.  Smith never played again after his sophomore year.

Answer the question, shitbrain.

McCamey

:lol:  Which team did McCamey, the most productive player oscar ever recruited to Illinois, send down the tubes?  What were his problems that oscar foolishly overlooked?  Good rough ridin' grief.

How many years sooner would oscar have been fired if he didn't have McCamey?  oscar wouldn't have sniffed the NIT between 2008-09 and 2010-11, let alone made the NCAAs twice, without him.  oscar should call Demetri once a week for the rest of his life and offer to blow him for everything he did for oscar that oscar did not then, and will never, deserve.

You have your opinion, I have mine.  I am not defending or trashing Weber. 
I am just saying he has had similar problems before and we will see if the situation improves this time.

McCamey, Weber and tough love      Chicago Sun Times - Inside Illinois - December 3, 2008

The frosty relationship between oscar Weber and Demetri McCamey resurfaced again after McCamey failed to pass, shoot or call a timeout at the end of Illinois’ 76-74 loss to Clemson, and it bears watching. Weber refused to start McCamey, his most talented player, in the first two games of the season in an effort to coax more intensity and consistency out of the sophomore point guard. McCamey doesn’t seem totally onboard with Weber’s tough-love approach, and Weber still seems impatient with McCamey’s casual approach. This uneasiness could make them stronger if they get past it–or it could make for more problems. When Weber arrived at Illinois, Dee Brown didn’t buy in initially, but when he did, it helped him become a complete, and more mature, player. On the other hand, Weber and Shaun Pruitt never saw eye-to-eye last year, and it cast a pall over the team. The McCamey deal is hardly on the same level, but both of them will benefit immensely, as will the team, if they can get on the same page. That means McCamey needs to step it up, but Weber probably has to watch his step psychologically, too.

You wrote: "There,he hung on to a talented problem child or two. Must have thought he could turn them around. He couldn't and it sent the team down the tubes."

Which team went down the tubes because oscar hung on to talented problem child McCamey?  After that article, McCamey went NCAA, NIT, NCAA.  When McCamey graduated from Illinois, oscar's very next team went straight down the shitter and he got fired. 

Also, LOfuckingL at not seeing eye to eye with oscar making a player a problem child.  McCamey was never suspended for any reason, nor charged with or accused of any sort of crime his entire career.  He graduated on schedule from Illinois.  All the while being voted all-big 10 his junior and senior years.  Holy crap you're a dumbfuck.  Typical oscar horseshit that the white midwestern downgrades gobble up and beg for more. 

"That kid's got an attitude problem!" :shakesfist:

That kid saved stupid eff Weber's job for three or four more years and probably got him hired at K-State, and all oscar did was scapegoat him for not achieving more.  Piece of crap. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
It's amazing how much more patience GOSP has for oscar than he had for Prince. Like shocking really, he was gunning to Prince to be fired essentially as soon as he was hired.  But he still needs more time to figure out ole oscar-y boy. 

And its doubly ironic that he pulls this "I don't hate the program enought..." BS when he was rooting for the football team to lose because he wanted Prince out.

Oh my. I hated the Prince hire, yes. My argument was he was horribly unqualified. (Less qualified than Snyder when we hired him, even though our program was in a much better place, was how I put it.) I've argued in lots of posts that I prefer hiring coaches who have experience. I made the same argument against hiring Venables until he proved himself at Clemson in my eyes. I thought the whole Doug Gottlieb thing was a joke for the same reason.

But sure, stir the pot and label me a racist, bad person. (Sorry filter is on at work.)
So it was OK for you to have the opinion that Prince was a terrible hire and to not give him a chance because a) you didn't like the hire and b) didn't like his personality, but people who thought Weber was a terrible hire and didn't give him the full chance you think he should have received (and still should be getting) "hate oscar so much they want the program to fail"?

I doubt race has much part to play in your stance on this, but it all has to do with the fact that you liked oscar, liked what he stood for, liked the type of basketball you think he idealizes while you didn't like Prince, what he stood for, the style of football he played.   You didn't wait for Prince to fail two years in a row.

Well thanks for walking back your position a bit to the point where you're accusing me of being only somewhat racist, and calling it a stylistic difference. You're still overstating the matter though, and still an bad person for doing so. You don't know me.

What Prince stood for? I had no opinion on what Prince "stood for." Winning and losing coaches come in all types. rough ridin' hell man, I don't even know what to write to you. Once you level an accusation like that online there's no way to respond appropriately. That I had friends of many different races and religions growing up and didn't even realize it? Including my best friend as a kid? True, but "that's what a racist would say!" That I've lived comfortably in neighborhoods in Brooklyn where whites were about a 2% minority? True, but "that's how a racist would defend himself." That I've been employed as a community advocate for underpriviliged communities of color? Yes, but "he hated Prince, ipso facto RACIST!"

Okay fine, FIRE WEBER NOW! BURN IT DOWN! Am I edgy now? Am I not a racist anymore?

My arguments for oscar had nothing to do with style. I didn't know jack crap about his style when he was hired, I just knew his win-loss numbers, so I relied on those. Whatever, man. Whatever.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »
I would just prefer being shot in the head if I'm going to be slowly burned to death

I don't equate being a basketball fan with anything close to life/death. :dunno:

Yes to this.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
You know what Chingon, I did have more to say about firing Prince. I had stronger opinons about KSU sports and sports in general years ago. I wanted Altman fired so badly, I called DB92 to dedicate songs to him after losses. I've mellowed. I care more about other things in life. So maybe there is a difference.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2015, 11:30:48 AM »
So I am clear: I don't think GOSP is a racist.  I think he's a hypocrite when it comes to "giving a coach a fair chance". You can lecture us all about wanting to program to fail to "spite" oscar, but when you staked your claim early and often (essentially the day he was hired) as someone who wanted Prince fired it's hard to swallow your posts.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
I just want to enjoy WildWildCat hoops again, guys.  I tried hard with oscar after yr 1.  I tried hard.  I mean, try to watch our games this year and not be frustrated. 

I want to get either all the way back in again, or all the way out.  Watching other ball now is even frustrating to me because watching good teams just makes me think how there is no reason we shouldn't be doing what those good teams are doing. 

Before Huggs, I was a fan of the overall sport nationwide.  Just liked watching the sport and ppl that were good at it, regardless.  Now, I want good cat hoops again and good other ppl just mock us to my face constantly.

oscar has taken away more than just cat hoops happiness from me for now, although he may chase me to an overall sport enjoyment again, given enough time.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
You have your opinion, I have mine.  I am not defending or trashing Weber. 
I am just saying he has had similar problems before and we will see if the situation improves this time.

McCamey, Weber and tough love      Chicago Sun Times - Inside Illinois - December 3, 2008[/u]

The frosty relationship between oscar Weber and Demetri McCamey resurfaced again after McCamey failed to pass, shoot or call a timeout at the end of Illinois’ 76-74 loss to Clemson, and it bears watching. Weber refused to start McCamey, his most talented player, in the first two games of the season in an effort to coax more intensity and consistency out of the sophomore point guard. McCamey doesn’t seem totally onboard with Weber’s tough-love approach, and Weber still seems impatient with McCamey’s casual approach. This uneasiness could make them stronger if they get past it–or it could make for more problems. When Weber arrived at Illinois, Dee Brown didn’t buy in initially, but when he did, it helped him become a complete, and more mature, player. On the other hand, Weber and Shaun Pruitt never saw eye-to-eye last year, and it cast a pall over the team. The McCamey deal is hardly on the same level, but both of them will benefit immensely, as will the team, if they can get on the same page. That means McCamey needs to step it up, but Weber probably has to watch his step psychologically, too.

Well hell, I guess oscar has learned from his mistakes.  I am sure glad we at KSU don't have to go through what happened there...

Love the sarcasm.  :ROFL:
If you are claiming I think he has things figured out, where do you get that?  I think the ship is sinking faster than he can bail.  Weber needs a miracle next year.
With McCamey, he gave him 2nd chances and he played well. However, the behavior of both couldn't have been positive for the team.

you come off as though you're still in the wait and see mode.  a lot of people here have already seen enough.  hence the discussion.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
I liked the Prince hire but hated the Snyder 2.0 hire and the Weber hire.  I also liked the Huggins hire and the Martin hire.  What does this say about my taste in hires?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:15 PM »
i hated the prince hire, could see right through his bs.  although in full disclosure i did start a thread the night of the texas win (i was boozed) entitled "I BELIEVE".  prob the low point of my bbs life.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
i hated the prince hire, could see right through his bs.  although in full disclosure i did start a thread the night of the texas win (i was boozed) entitled "I BELIEVE".  prob the low point of my bbs life.

I didn't like the hire, but I gave him a chance. I nearly fully bought in after the Texas win completed a 3 game win streak, but much of that was undone after KU destroyed us a week later. By the end of year 2, even with the Texas win, I was pretty much done. By the middle of year 3 when we weren't just bad, but were clearly incompetently coached as a football program, it was time to move on.

Offline HamBoned

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »
Who cares if Nigel is gone....The Flush is the real deal, plus according to twitter "we're making it to the dance" next year.  :bball:

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
Who cares if Nigel is gone....The Flush is the real deal, plus according to twitter "we're making it to the dance" next year.  :bball:

If oscar can get this ragtag bunch to the tournament next year I will temporarily jump off the #bid wagon and be completely behind him the following season. I just don't see any chance of that happening, maybe 10% at best.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
initially, nobody really knew what to make of prince and most people didn't really have an opinion. some might have said "i don't love it" and some might have said "i kind of like it". 95% were somewhere in the middle just hanging out until everyone together slowly started moving over to the let's get rid of him way of thinking.

the weber hire was the exact opposite. you had a bunch of people immediately in the "i rough ridin' hate this. fire oscar, fire currie" camp and a bunch in the "i hate the people screaming i hate this, so i'll side with oscar and the university" camp. it was polarized from the beginning and once you're entrenched, it's hard to give it up. hence why you still have a bunch of people still undecided and hoping for the best despite pretty much everything pointing to a dumpster fire.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:26:55 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
I debuted the FIRE PRINCE shirt on 10/7/06.  :gocho:

McCamey, Weber and tough love      Chicago Sun Times - Inside Illinois - December 3, 2008[/u]

The frosty relationship between oscar Weber and Demetri McCamey resurfaced again after McCamey failed to pass, shoot or call a timeout at the end of Illinois’ 76-74 loss to Clemson, and it bears watching.

^^^ This sounds unbelievable.  Like, Illinois had the ball down 2 at the end of the game and this guy just intentionally ran the clock out to lose?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »
initially, nobody really knew what to make of prince and most people didn't really have an opinion. some might have said "i don't love it" and some might have said "i kind of like it". 95% were somewhere in the middle just hanging out until everyone together slowly started moving over to the let's get rid of him way of thinking.

the weber hire was the exact opposite. you had a bunch of people immediately in the "i rough ridin' hate this. fire oscar, fire currie" camp and a bunch in the "i hate the people screaming i hate, it so i'll side with oscar and the university" camp. it was polarized from the beginning and once you're entrenched, it's hard to give it up. hence why you still have a bunch of people still undecided and hoping for the best despite pretty much everything pointing to a dumpster fire.

True.