Author Topic: jobs  (Read 273910 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #3175 on: June 02, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »
The most important thing you can do working in an office environment is walk like you're on a mission.

I think Musk is probably dumb to force people back in the office but if he's only talking about execs, whatever.  We'll see if his jobs are good enough to retain the talent.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 02, 2022, 12:03:42 PM »
if you’re not miserable, you’re not working!

gmafb with this crap.  inefficiency is built into the workforce.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: June 02, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »
Call me crazy, but isn’t he a manufacturer? Not sure how a lot of that can be done from home.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: June 02, 2022, 12:30:29 PM »
I work for a manufacturer and I can do my job fully from home
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: June 02, 2022, 12:34:43 PM »
My favorite thing about this is that one of the things I remember most about working in an office is how often people simply pretended to work. Some had it down to a rough ridin' art form. Like, I think I'll just grab this random piece of paper off my desk and go for an afternoon long walkabout.

https://twitter.com/technology/status/1532036282708373506

haha, when I first started my job a couple of guys asked me if I wanted to take a walk with them. I was like, uh, sure, thinking we were going to go down the street and grab a starbucks or something. Those fuckers walked like 3 miles and for over an hour. My feet were killing me from my shitty dress shoes at the time. They did this pretty much every day and sometimes a couple of times. These dumbasses that think people actually work when in the office are hilarious. I work more from home and instead of going on stupid 3 mile walks to waste time in the office, I take time and get crap done around the house.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: June 02, 2022, 12:36:41 PM »
Lol. A 3 mile walk is like 45 minutes. Call me crazy, almost the length of a lunch break. Sorry for your exercise.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: June 02, 2022, 12:42:21 PM »
I can consistently tell who is working remote and who is in the office by the quality of their work.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: June 02, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »
I can consistently tell who is working remote and who is in the office by the quality of their work.

Yea the quality of work from people in the office is usually considerably worse in my experience.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: June 02, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »
The most important thing you can do working in an office environment is walk like you're on a mission.

I think Musk is probably dumb to force people back in the office but if he's only talking about execs, whatever.  We'll see if his jobs are good enough to retain the talent.
In my experience, it is the greenest employees who legitimately benefit from being in office since remote training and feedback is generally pretty bad.

My guess is the execs have to come in cause it’s the only way to coax the lower levels in without a riot.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: June 03, 2022, 12:59:28 PM »
Lol. A 3 mile walk is like 45 minutes. Call me crazy, almost the length of a lunch break. Sorry for your exercise.

yeah, but those guys were in the office. They should be at their desks working the whole time....

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: August 01, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »
Who is ready for a LOL?

So I work in sales and the rule of thumb here is that when you have an interested client you open an "opportunity" in salesforce. These were never really tracked that hard and were full of a bunch of old opportunities etc.

In the middle of last month my company decides that they want to clean up the opportunities to better forecast future sales so a new policy was announced that starting August 1st if an opportunity was been open more than 2 months without being closed the account will automatically be transferred to a new salesperson.

Our sales cycle can last anywhere from a week to 6-12 months so I told my boss what a terrible idea it was "So if I get someone interested in our product and open an opportunity I will lose that account unless I remember to close the opportunity after 60 days even if they are still interested?".

Bossman said he would run it up the flagpole but I came up with my own solution. I closed out all of my open opportunities and told him I wouldn't be opening any new opportunities until the day the customer buys our product.

Guess who just got 5 new accounts that are interested in our product assigned to him today from reps who didn't close out all their old opportunities?  :gocho:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: August 01, 2022, 07:14:12 PM »
I completely understand why they want to be able to better forecast new revenue but by threatening to take away accounts that have open opportunities for longer than 2 months when the sales cycle can last 5x that long they are shooting themselves in the foot.

It's one of those things that sounds great in the boardroom but in execution it is a terrible idea. Looking forward to the conversation with my manager in a month where he asks me why I don't have any open opportunities.

As long as my actual sales numbers are good I don't think I will have any issues. I give it 2 months tops before they change the policy but until then I'm looking forward to some new interested accounts from other reps.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: August 01, 2022, 07:15:17 PM »
Instead of bitching and whining ole ‘ji is playing chess on their asses

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: August 01, 2022, 10:17:06 PM »
it’s funny how bad that every company that’s ever bought salesforce is at actually using it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: August 03, 2022, 12:52:28 PM »
I can't imagine why they would move the opps to a new rep after only 2 months.  My boss would be on me to have some activity on the opportunity but would not move it to another rep if I was still working it.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: September 09, 2022, 07:30:40 PM »
So I have a friend that makes good $, but crap is burning down at the company. Director of 12 years… GONE. Regional Director… GONE! Many others are leaving and they’re trying to throw $ at my friend to stay. It’s getting toxic and lateral moves pay less. What should I tell him. Also, RIP Steve Jobs.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: September 09, 2022, 07:35:25 PM »
Tell your friend to soak them for everything it’s worth while he has any semblance of leverage and see how long he can last.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: September 09, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »
 :thumbs: Kinda what I’m thinking, but I hear he’s on the verge of a mental breakdown and he doesn’t want to go to jail. We’re talking 200K here, but is it worth it?!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: September 09, 2022, 07:48:10 PM »
Mental breakdowns can be managed, jail is an entirely different animal though.  I would try to get as much money as possible up front.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: September 09, 2022, 07:53:18 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: September 09, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
Or take the $200, quiet quit and save the extra money until it becomes apparent you need to gtfo.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 09, 2022, 08:09:19 PM »
I’ll let him know. Not sure crisis management is his thing, but I bet he can figure it out.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 09, 2022, 08:45:35 PM »
This wouldn't have to do with some rural Missouri hospitals and clinics, would it?

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: September 09, 2022, 09:12:29 PM »
This wouldn't have to do with some rural Missouri hospitals and clinics, would it?
No. people rushed to the dentist when they thought the “pandemic” was done and now they’re over it. My friend is finally seeing over comp per service

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
jobs
« Reply #3199 on: September 09, 2022, 09:57:25 PM »
I think I agree with the advice here. Assuming your friend is on the younger side, getting the extra money and investing in the current market will set them up well down the line. That said, mental health is extremely important. If they can’t get into the mindset that everything will work out, there’s no amount of money that will make up for it.