Author Topic: jobs  (Read 278493 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #3125 on: April 06, 2022, 04:53:19 PM »
That tweet guy should make one about zoomers.  I feel like the second half of us X'ers are similar enough to Millennials that it feels easy enough to relate.  The zoomers I have recently interviewed, hired, fired, etc are a conundrum.  I literally had one of their moms call me recently about his job.  He quit, then his mom called two weeks later and said he wanted to unquit but was too embarrassed to call me himself, so she wanted to try to work out the details and then for me to call him.

So, moms calling companies to help their kids communicate with the boss is a thing now.

Did the kid know his mom was calling or was she working independently on this?

She said he didn't know.  He said he did.   :dunno:  Didn't rehire.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: April 06, 2022, 05:17:49 PM »
I’ve definitely observed a generational divide in thinking and expectations. Just like anything cultural, there’s no one size fits all but having a baseline understanding helps immensely in knowing how to approach someone.

And to be clear, I’m not suggesting I’m actually good at bridging those divides, it just has become very apparent they exist in observing how the oldest and youngest at my work interact.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: April 06, 2022, 05:20:02 PM »
That tweet guy should make one about zoomers.  I feel like the second half of us X'ers are similar enough to Millennials that it feels easy enough to relate.  The zoomers I have recently interviewed, hired, fired, etc are a conundrum.  I literally had one of their moms call me recently about his job.  He quit, then his mom called two weeks later and said he wanted to unquit but was too embarrassed to call me himself, so she wanted to try to work out the details and then for me to call him.

So, moms calling companies to help their kids communicate with the boss is a thing now.

Did the kid know his mom was calling or was she working independently on this?

She said he didn't know.  He said he did.   :dunno:  Didn't rehire.

My wife just interviewed a recent college grad who asked if her dad could sit in on the (virtual) interview.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: April 06, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »
I’ve definitely observed a generational divide in thinking and expectations. Just like anything cultural, there’s no one size fits all but having a baseline understanding helps immensely in knowing how to approach someone.

And to be clear, I’m not suggesting I’m actually good at bridging those divides, it just has become very apparent they exist in observing how the oldest and youngest at my work interact.

Is it truly a "generational divide," or is it more about power gradient and pecking order?

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: April 06, 2022, 05:32:20 PM »
Younger bosses don't care as much about how people dress as older bosses do.

Online Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: April 06, 2022, 05:33:42 PM »
False.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Online Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: April 06, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
False.
Am only talking about myself though.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: April 06, 2022, 05:39:36 PM »

Is it truly a "generational divide," or is it more about power gradient and pecking order?

And just general experience?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: April 06, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
I don’t think so. We hire a new crop of associates every year and I don’t think there were any generalized complaints (from mid to upper levels) about the newest class until last year. If anything I’d assume the shift to remote dominated work has played a role, but even millennials (who aren’t impressed with the up and comers) are strongly resisting returning to the office.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: April 06, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »

I don’t think so. We hire a new crop of associates every year and I don’t think there were any generalized complaints (from mid to upper levels) about the newest class until last year.

Huh I wonder what might have happened in the last year or two. Probably a new generation line started 22-23 years ago.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: April 06, 2022, 10:16:53 PM »
Like, even if we establish by the numbers that boomers aren't actually more loyal or dedicated or whatever, the mere fact that they think they are could be a tool (and maybe not a good one) to use to manage them. Generally speaking, that is.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: April 06, 2022, 10:47:23 PM »
I have employees from 60 yo to 25 yo. They are all very unique and like to be treated very differently. Which I try to do. Platinum rule or whatever, follow for more incredibly unique insights from thousands of hours of LinkedIn Learning and Book Clubs I’ve participated in because my company is bugged out eyes cartoon wolf guy horny for that crap.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: April 06, 2022, 10:50:09 PM »
You fuckers extraordinarily horny (non sexually) for Brene Brown around here? You love jerking it (not irl, but brain jerking) to Simon Sinek? Let’s dance (and influence people).

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: April 07, 2022, 04:43:46 AM »
I don’t know Brene Brown but everyone I’ve come across that talks about liking her I don’t like.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: April 07, 2022, 09:11:17 AM »
I refuse to believe that something like having your mom call into the place you just quit to see if she can get your job back is at all normal for any generation.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: April 07, 2022, 09:12:24 AM »
Also, that story makes the millennial parent look even worse than the zoomer worker.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: April 07, 2022, 09:16:03 AM »
You guys really gen x'd this thread up

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: April 07, 2022, 09:18:22 AM »
I don’t know Brene Brown but everyone I’ve come across that talks about liking her I don’t like.

that's right

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: April 07, 2022, 09:54:58 AM »
I was supposed to read Brene Brown but a few chapters in I couldn't take anymore.  I then made it known that if they assigned another one of her books I would not be participating.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: April 07, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »
I’ve read like 3 of them. They are pretty good. Also she does her own readings for her audio books which I always appreciate. She provides good free materials for book club stuff too. I hate when we do business book club and I have to make up my own conversation starters and talking points.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: April 07, 2022, 10:53:58 AM »
We once read some Christian servant leadership focused business book. One lesson talked about how Jesus washed some other dude's dirty feet. And someone in the group suggested that we, as a company demonstration of this idea, could all get together and literally not figuratively wash each other's feet.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: April 07, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »
We once read some Christian servant leadership focused business book. One lesson talked about how Jesus washed some other dude's dirty feet. And someone in the group suggested that we, as a company demonstration of this idea, could all get together and literally not figuratively wash each other's feet.

That person should have been fired on spot because if you are willing to suggest that then you are capable of anything.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: April 07, 2022, 12:31:05 PM »
I would quit my job before I touched someone else's feet.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: April 07, 2022, 12:35:52 PM »
Depends on the feet  :peek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: April 07, 2022, 12:36:06 PM »
WTAF.  My initial reaction would be to laugh and mock them directly in their stupid face but first I would need a few minutes to overcome being stunned by the sheer ridiculousness of the suggestion.