Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: jobs
« Reply #3150 on: April 07, 2022, 12:48:19 PM »
Sounds like a scene straight from Righteous Gemstones season 3.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 07, 2022, 02:26:18 PM »
We once read some Christian servant leadership focused business book. One lesson talked about how Jesus washed some other dude's dirty feet. And someone in the group suggested that we, as a company demonstration of this idea, could all get together and literally not figuratively wash each other's feet.
Should've advised them that the lowest person in the household (company) is the one who would wash the feet. And the highest up in the HH(company) get's to anoint them with oil.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
jobs
« Reply #3152 on: April 07, 2022, 02:28:24 PM »
You telling me Jesus Christ of Nazareth was the low man? FOH. CEO needs to get his bucket and start scrubbing toes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 02:33:37 PM by steve dave »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 07, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: April 07, 2022, 03:59:53 PM »
I recently started managing someone who I just cannot stand as a person. Like their voice is nails on a chalkboard to me and they also went over my head to say they didn't want to report to me like immediately after they were told to report to me. (My boss immediately told me and made fun of them for not having an alternative in mind). I like to separate the fact that I hate their guts from the work, but the work isn't all that great and they could easily be replaced.

any tips on how to manage this situation?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: April 07, 2022, 04:01:28 PM »
I recently started managing someone who I just cannot stand as a person. Like their voice is nails on a chalkboard to me and they also went over my head to say they didn't want to report to me like immediately after they were told to report to me. (My boss immediately told me and made fun of them for not having an alternative in mind). I like to separate the fact that I hate their guts from the work, but the work isn't all that great and they could easily be replaced.

Impossible to know without knowing the year of their birth.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: April 07, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »

Seems like you’ve made up your mind to replace them. So I’d say find their replacement and then give them notice.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: April 07, 2022, 04:23:05 PM »

Seems like you’ve made up your mind to replace them. So I’d say find their replacement and then give them notice.

Can I just fire someone because I don't like them?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: April 07, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »
Not if I file a complaint with the NRLB you bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: April 07, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »

I’m not sure how your HR operates but I would say with about a 95% certainty yes.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: April 07, 2022, 04:53:26 PM »

No idea what NY labor laws are like but I want to say yes. Or you could just manage them out, pull some office space Lumburg type stuff and make them work weekends or something until they leave.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: April 07, 2022, 08:58:53 PM »

absolutely you can. or for even dumber reasons.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: April 07, 2022, 09:14:05 PM »

The answer is "it depends." What form did "going over your head" take? Is this person a member of any protected groups? Do you have any electronic communications trashing this person, other than in this thread? Is this person the litigious type?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: April 08, 2022, 09:10:51 AM »

Maybe he feels the same way about you  :dunno: Reach out and just try and get him moved and maybe you will both be happy.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: April 08, 2022, 10:39:16 AM »

Maybe he feels the same way about you  :dunno: Reach out and just try and get him moved and maybe you will both be happy.

The fact they went over his head and didn't even take the time to have an alternative to suggest tells you they are not intelligent.  If their work is already so-so, it's not going to get better.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: April 08, 2022, 10:57:28 AM »
Just tell HR that "you don't like their energy".   It worked for Rebekah Paltrow Neuman.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 08, 2022, 11:02:27 AM »
I had a direct report like that. I was a professional and just dealt with it because annoying dudes need to feed their families too. He eventually left on his own which was awesome.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 08, 2022, 11:22:46 AM »
I had a direct report like that. I was a professional and just dealt with it because annoying dudes need to feed their families too. He eventually left on his own which was awesome.
To be fair I think I'm also annoyed with this person's performance too

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 08, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »
Well yeah, this dude was barely above acceptable and took way more of my time than his peers. He would have been first on the list if we needed to cut people but barely above acceptable is still above acceptable.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 08, 2022, 02:32:31 PM »
your job is to manage your employees, who’s failing who?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 08, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
your job is to manage your employees, who’s failing who?

I started managing this person like a month ago

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 08, 2022, 02:44:02 PM »
Sounds like you need to hit the portal for a grad transfer
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 08, 2022, 03:53:08 PM »
doesn't sound like micat is here to elevate

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 02, 2022, 11:05:57 AM »
My favorite thing about this is that one of the things I remember most about working in an office is how often people simply pretended to work. Some had it down to a rough ridin' art form. Like, I think I'll just grab this random piece of paper off my desk and go for an afternoon long walkabout.

https://twitter.com/technology/status/1532036282708373506

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: June 02, 2022, 11:49:54 AM »
My favorite thing about this is that one of the things I remember most about working in an office is how often people simply pretended to work. Some had it down to a rough ridin' art form. Like, I think I'll just grab this random piece of paper off my desk and go for an afternoon long walkabout.

https://twitter.com/technology/status/1532036282708373506
My first job out of college was a small family company (40 ish employees) and the daughter was some sort of VP who didn't do much but would constantly walk past my desk looking like she was in a hurry to go do something like pickup stuff from the printer.

My coworker and I would make a bet in the morning on how many times she would walk by that day. O/U was usually close to 20.