« Reply #3200 on: September 09, 2022, 10:03:12 PM »
I'd bail as soon as possible. Money isn't everything
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #3201 on: September 09, 2022, 10:15:25 PM »
Personally, I'd be thinking about how it'd affect my next job. How is the experience going to reflect on me? I imagine your work environment is different than mine, but I'd be worried about it affecting my job search if I was overseeing a toxic office and had a mental breakdown.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 10, 2022, 07:21:55 AM »
I don't understand why this person would go to jail - if it's from illegal activity from the company they should GTFO immediately and consider reporting the company to cover their ass. If it's from then doing stupid due to a mental breakdown they should get into therapy and probably see a psychiatrist in addition to GTFO.

AND I don't understand the $200k - is it an increase in salary of that amount? New total salary? Retention bonus?

If this person is a dentist I can't imagine staying or leaving having much impact on their career long term unless his involvement, but prison due to either mental health breakdowns or illegal activity absolutely would.

A dentist (or recruiter) should be able to live comfortably about anywhere in the country WITHOUT STRESS OF GOING TO JAIL so they should do that unless they have some sort of aspersions to being a regional director of their own someday. And even then they should probably get out.

Also LMAO at putting "pandemic" in quotes.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 10, 2022, 07:31:41 AM »
I mean, how much jail time are we talking about here? Days? Months? Years?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: September 10, 2022, 07:58:47 AM »
Money is easy to come by today. Mental health is hard to come by today. Jail, in this situation, is confusing but avoid that for sure. Find a better place to work or different career immediately imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3205 on: September 10, 2022, 08:14:33 AM »
I hear bootstraps are useful.  Maybe your friend should look into using them instead of blaming everything else?

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 10, 2022, 08:36:58 AM »
Lol. He said jail, because he wants to strangle some of the people he’s working for/with. The bump would get him to a base like that. He appreciates all of the advice. And Chong’s, bootstrapping is what got him here. Don’t you worry!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 10, 2022, 10:25:45 AM »
Lol. He said jail, because he wants to strangle some of the people he’s working for/with. The bump would get him to a base like that. He appreciates all of the advice. And Chong’s, bootstrapping is what got him here. Don’t you worry!

Is he a dentist?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: September 10, 2022, 11:28:43 AM »
I’m kind of slow but the friend is actually Wacky, right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: September 10, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
I’m kind of slow but the friend is actually Wacky, right?

Probably

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: September 10, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »
God, we're all getting old.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: September 12, 2022, 08:13:12 AM »
God, we're all getting old.
How many times have we told you to take care of your mental health? What does it tell you when we maybe thought it wasn't you and still recommended it?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: September 12, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
Check-in with a professional if you're concerned about mental health.  Do it for your fam.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: September 12, 2022, 09:07:39 AM »
So I have a friend that makes good $, but crap is burning down at the company. Director of 12 years%u2026 GONE. Regional Director%u2026 GONE! Many others are leaving and they%u2019re trying to throw $ at my friend to stay. It%u2019s getting toxic and lateral moves pay less. What should I tell him. Also, RIP Steve Jobs.

also knowing this is you and you are very dramatic, it's probably not really that bad, and in fact probably is a nice opportunity. Take the extra money and hopefully more responsibility and try to get yourself an elevated title to go with the money and throw on your resume. Even if crap goes down you'd get money and a title to help with the next gig.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 09:11:39 AM by michigancat »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: September 12, 2022, 09:19:53 AM »
Not to derail the wacky train, but I changed jobs recently after being at the last job for a decade. This job is less rewarding, less responsibility, a little bit more of a drive, extremely boring, but a significant bump in pay.

I leave the office every day and don’t think about work until I get back the next morning…it’s been a few months and been great for my mental health and stress level. I highly suggest it for us old guys who just want to relax and bank some money before our kids go to college.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: September 12, 2022, 11:48:18 AM »
Not to derail the wacky train, but I changed jobs recently after being at the last job for a decade. This job is less rewarding, less responsibility, a little bit more of a drive, extremely boring, but a significant bump in pay.

I leave the office every day and don’t think about work until I get back the next morning…it’s been a few months and been great for my mental health and stress level. I highly suggest it for us old guys who just want to relax and bank some money before our kids go to college.

Congrats!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: September 12, 2022, 01:00:55 PM »

This is it. Huge for work/life balance.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: September 12, 2022, 01:12:19 PM »
Wacks, labor market is kinda weird right now.  You should at least try to leverage it, imo.  Tell them you want $300k, 2 more weeks of vacation, and some kind of profit sharing or something else big.  They can come down from there. 

The big secret about your boss, their boss, and any other boss higher up is that most of them don't totally know what the hell they are doing either.  Most ppl don't have their crap together and are all just worried about getting through today.  If you are able to actually look forward a couple months, work on some 50k ft level view stuff rather than ground level view stuff, and just figure out problems as they come up and how to prevent them the next time they want to come up, you will be better than 90% of the bosses in any industry.  Accept that, move up, solve problems, and be comfy doing so.  You've been slanging dentists for a long time.  You can definitely do this.  Top level management is great.  Hit them with a big ask.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3218 on: September 12, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »
Pro tip:

Never say no without a number.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: September 12, 2022, 02:42:04 PM »
Good stuff, gents!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: September 12, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »
I changed jobs recently after being at the last job for a decade. This job is less rewarding, less responsibility, a little bit more of a drive, extremely boring, but a significant bump in pay.

I leave the office every day and don’t think about work until I get back the next morning.

i second this sentiment.  having a well-paid, no-responsibility and boring job can be quite nice.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: September 13, 2022, 08:54:38 AM »
So I have a friend that makes good $, but crap is burning down at the company. Director of 12 years%u2026 GONE. Regional Director%u2026 GONE! Many others are leaving and they%u2019re trying to throw $ at my friend to stay. It%u2019s getting toxic and lateral moves pay less. What should I tell him. Also, RIP Steve Jobs.

also knowing this is you and you are very dramatic, it's probably not really that bad, and in fact probably is a nice opportunity. Take the extra money and hopefully more responsibility and try to get yourself an elevated title to go with the money and throw on your resume. Even if crap goes down you'd get money and a title to help with the next gig.
The past two times I got dramatic about my toxic work environments, the companies folded in less than a year after leaving them (not because of me, obviously). Just saying, not sure it's dramatic when you see the writing on the wall.  :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: September 13, 2022, 09:59:06 AM »

The past two times I got dramatic about my toxic work environments, the companies folded in less than a year after leaving them (not because of me, obviously). Just saying, not sure it's dramatic when you see the writing on the wall.  :dunno:
Well if you're just going to walk into another truly toxic situation you should take the money and hang on for dear life

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: September 13, 2022, 11:16:16 AM »
Here it goes then... :crossfingers: :pray:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 02:00:59 PM by DreamWeaver69 »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile