Author Topic: amazing animal stories thread (post your own)  (Read 234014 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: amazing animal stories thread (post your own)
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
:surprised:

pretty cool but not that scary.  there were 9 of us.  3 of us w/ bear spray.  my wife and sister freaked out a little as they didn't do a good job of bunching up into tight group.  i didn't do good job taking trigger lock off my spray and got a little in my bro-in-law's eyes; he was blind for about 5 minutes as we tried to stay out of this grizzly's path.  in the end we found out this guy was a little curious fracker and used to being around human beings which is not good in my book.  should have run away from us when we made ourselves known about a third of a mile up the trail.  instead as you can see he booked it up the trail to get a better look at us.   5 year old male with big claws (see last image)

Bear spray? Did you have your bear whistle with you too?   I can imagine you pulling a little bottle out of your fanny pack and trying to hit the bear in the eyes with a tiny little stream of spray while he rips your limbs off and eats your face.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »

pretty cool but not that scary.  there were 9 of us.  3 of us w/ bear spray.  my wife and sister freaked out a little as they didn't do a good job of bunching up into tight group.  i didn't do good job taking trigger lock off my spray and got a little in my bro-in-law's eyes; he was blind for about 5 minutes as we tried to stay out of this grizzly's path.  in the end we found out this guy was a little curious fracker and used to being around human beings which is not good in my book.  should have run away from us when we made ourselves known about a third of a mile up the trail.  instead as you can see he booked it up the trail to get a better look at us.   5 year old male with big claws (see last image)

Bear spray? Did you have your bear whistle with you too?   I can imagine you pulling a little bottle out of your fanny pack and trying to hit the bear in the eyes with a tiny little stream of spray while he rips your limbs off and eats your face.

Bear spray is not something to eff around w/.  it's not something you carry around on your keychain.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »

I was thinking about this earlier.  No offense mcmwcat but I would say, "Does a bear crap mcmwcat in the woods?" instead of "yes" on the board for months, MONTHS.  

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »
I thought bear spray was like bug spray.  Put it on to repel the bears away. 

Friend - Hey look there's a bear, we should get outta hear

Me - No problem, I put on my bear spray this morning he won't even bother us.

Friend - Bear spray why didn't you give me any?

Me - Sorry bro, didn't ask.

Friend - He's getting closer, give me some bear spray.

Me- Didn't bring it with me.

Friend - ahhhhh

Bear - nom nom nom

Me _  :gocho:

Offline ltrain

• Combo-Fan
  • go cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
When I was a kid we had an English Setter named Chip.  One day Chip ran away.  He didn't go far.  We lived on a dead-end and there was a huge empty lot next to our house.  We would see Chip hanging out in the lot but he would always run away before we got to him.  Like 6 months later my dad and brother caught him and brought him back home.  He picked up some amazing skills while he was away...he became really fast and could jump up and sit on our privacy fence.  A couple years later he had a brain anuerism (sp?) and died.  The end.
Wondering who is running this hot dog stand and seriously considering heading out for tacos.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcy78rnDKiQ

Absolutely heartwarming stuff folks

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2010, 08:06:05 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcy78rnDKiQ

Absolutely heartwarming stuff folks

:(  thought for a second i would be seeing feline centipede

Offline KSU176

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
We had a dog that had a 40 lb tumor removed from her spleen and she lived.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »
I once saw two squirrels fighting and they rolled so close to me that I could have reached out and touched them!  :surprised:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »
One time I had to lure a possum out of my shed with cat food and then sweep him off the patio with a broom.   :surprised:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »
i'll bump this thread with what has always been and will always be the most insane thing i've ever seen an animal do. there are no words. just watch it dudes.

if you haven't seen it already, here it is. the infamous "Eagle Vs. Mountain Goat"

:surprised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XafAdkZIYKA :runaway:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »
i'll bump this thread with what has always been and will always be the most insane thing i've ever seen an animal do. there are no words. just watch it dudes.

if you haven't seen it already, here it is. the infamous "Eagle Vs. Mountain Goat"

:surprised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XafAdkZIYKA :runaway:

That's a ruthless rough ridin' bird.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
Seems like way too much good footage and camera angles to be real. Also, when mountain goats got on our porch, momma just chased them off with a broom.  :dunno:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
Seems like way too much good footage and camera angles to be real. Also, when mountain goats got on our porch, momma just chased them off with a broom.  :dunno:

Pretty sure it was discovered to be a hoax...

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2010, 05:29:36 AM »

It's not fake. All the footage has been verified real. There's some rumor about the crew that filmed it using a trained eagle or weakened goats, maybe but that sounds kinda doubtful.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
I would honestly still be pretty impressed that you could train an eagle to do that. Wish I had one at my house to swoop down on the deer that keep eating my trees and drop them off an overpass or something.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2010, 05:42:47 PM »

It's not fake. All the footage has been verified real. There's some rumor about the crew that filmed it using a trained eagle or weakened goats, maybe but that sounds kinda doubtful.

definitely looks like a trained eagle.  also the second animal is dead before the eagle grabs it and drops it.  the resolution is pretty shitty, so it's hard to tell what the animals are.  the first looks like maybe a spanish or alpine ibex, but could possibly be a wild-pattern domestic goat.  the second looks like a chamois, maybe.  both are juveniles (hornless, even adult females are horned), so they aren't as big as you might assume.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »
Turns out it footage from an old Spanish wildlife series.  The goat was dead an the scene staged but it's a wild eagle.  Guess the director was outed as having staged lots of scenes for his shows, including throwing capybaras into schools of paranhas.  (Totally spacing on the spelling of that fish here...)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Turns out it footage from an old Spanish wildlife series.  The goat was dead an the scene staged but it's a wild eagle.  Guess the director was outed as having staged lots of scenes for his shows, including throwing capybaras into schools of paranhas.  (Totally spacing on the spelling of that fish here...)

the first animal is definitely alive.  and there is no way the eagle was wild.  absolutely none.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »
Just google that crap.  Bunch of stuff of about some Hombres something or other series.  Not sure about live goat or wild eagle, but definitely staged.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
definitely staged.

yeah, no crap.  pretty much all but the very biggest budget nature films are staged.  you try wandering randomly around w. a camera and see how long it takes you to film an animal doing something youtubeable.

Offline ksu1982

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »

lol.

http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=32809.0

On the 2nd page of that link, 2nd post there is a video of a eagle taking down a small deer :surprised:

Offline VGibsonLives

• Fan
  • Old School Purple Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
Saw an amazing donkey act in Nuevo Laredo once. Think the trainer's name was Maria.   :fatty:
"I deleted all of my threads.  You guys don't deserve them."   BMW

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »
Saw an amazing donkey act in Nuevo Laredo once. Think the trainer's name was Maria.   :fatty:

Did you get beheaded or murdered in any other way while you were there?