Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 10875 times)

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2023, 10:18:15 PM »
And the implications of the hypo are indistinguishable from being insane. Do not want.

Insane would imply being delusional. Think of it like if some new medical procedure is developed and you’re just like oh yeah I’ll definitely get that procedure or conversely you would realize oh wait this one is going to lead to all these other complications so I think I’ll pass
Using the knowledge to benefit yourself would be demonstrating your knowledge of it.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2023, 10:21:18 PM »
Yeah maybe how people “decipher” all the things Nostradamus totally predicted.

The thing is that possibility is also within the realm of outcomes if you are a lunatic who writes down a lot of random crap.

You're doing it again. BAC said you, hypothetically, have access to all the secrets of the Universe. This is not a Nostradamus situation.

Yes exactly. You’re not confined to speaking in cryptic riddles, you just cannot explain any of these mysteries of the universe to anyone. Like trying to explain a smart phone to Julius Cesar like his brain probably could not even comprehend that sort of thing, it would take several hundreds of years before anyone would have any hope of being able to pick up what you’re puttin down.

The hard part is making sure you impress upon your contemporaries why they should preserve your journals and schematics. For that reason, I think I would eat the Mona Lisa.
What would be the point of preserving your work if it would be of no use in the eventual discovery? And why would people care to try to find out if your super complex calculations could somehow get to the same result if they’ve already solved the problem?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »

The thing is that possibility is also within the realm of outcomes if you are a lunatic who writes down a lot of random crap.

You're doing it again. BAC said you, hypothetically, have access to all the secrets of the Universe. This is not a Nostradamus situation.

Yes exactly. You’re not confined to speaking in cryptic riddles, you just cannot explain any of these mysteries of the universe to anyone. Like trying to explain a smart phone to Julius Cesar like his brain probably could not even comprehend that sort of thing, it would take several hundreds of years before anyone would have any hope of being able to pick up what you’re puttin down.

The hard part is making sure you impress upon your contemporaries why they should preserve your journals and schematics. For that reason, I think I would eat the Mona Lisa.
What would be the point of preserving your work if it would be of no use in the eventual discovery? And why would people care to try to find out if your super complex calculations could somehow get to the same result if they’ve already solved the problem?

The notebook/books would be indecipherable to current humans, not future humans. That's my understanding of the hypo.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2023, 10:54:31 PM »

The notebook/books would be indecipherable to current humans, not future humans. That's my understanding of the hypo.

Precisely. So way off in the distant future they’ll be like “huh…that dude that ate the Mona Lisa also knew how to design a fission reactor. Interesting fella”

I mean wouldn’t you lose your crap if they find some old sketchbook belonging to Leonardo da Vinci and he had sketched a perfect i phone, open to the Home Screen with a bunch of apps like whaaaaaaaaåaaaãAaat??

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2023, 10:56:20 PM »
If we started now, and our species started favoring humans with long, dexterous, toes, how many generations before we had feet comparable to hands in their utility.

@Pete last night on 60 minutes I learned all of the selective breeding we see that produces such variance in dog breeds has been done in the past 200 years. I think we can get the toe thing done in like 500 years.
Wonderful news. This is how we take the next great step as a species.
Dogs can get pregnant anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after birth, depending on the breed. Their pregnancies only last 60-75 days, and they can get pregnant every six months.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:25 PM »
If we started now, and our species started favoring humans with long, dexterous, toes, how many generations before we had feet comparable to hands in their utility.

@Pete last night on 60 minutes I learned all of the selective breeding we see that produces such variance in dog breeds has been done in the past 200 years. I think we can get the toe thing done in like 500 years.
Wonderful news. This is how we take the next great step as a species.
Dogs can get pregnant anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after birth, depending on the breed. Their pregnancies only last 60-75 days, and they can get pregnant every six months.

I think we should assume that CF3 did his due diligence, but his estimate does look like an uphill climb.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2023, 11:12:38 PM »

Precisely. So way off in the distant future they’ll be like “huh…that dude that ate the Mona Lisa also knew how to design a fission reactor. Interesting fella”

I mean wouldn’t you lose your crap if they find some old sketchbook belonging to Leonardo da Vinci and he had sketched a perfect i phone, open to the Home Screen with a bunch of apps like whaaaaaaaaåaaaãAaat??

So your hypo is not that you are unable to convey your knowledge. It is that a person alive today would not be able to understand it? I think you could find dozens of actual examples of people with ideas that were only executed when current technology caught up.

Why the heck would anyone choose not to have the capacity to positively impact the world for future generations?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2023, 11:30:43 PM »

So your hypo is not that you are unable to convey your knowledge. It is that a person alive today would not be able to understand it? I think you could find dozens of actual examples of people with ideas that were only executed when current technology caught up.

Why the heck would anyone choose not to have the capacity to positively impact the world for future generations?

Selfishly, if I was told that I could hear the greatest song ever written, just an absolutely perfect composition that would bring me to my knees, but I could only hear it in my head…I would be interested. And I would ask Jack black to write a fitting tribute song.

The whole point of the hypo was just one of those monkey paw hypos…would you want to know the greatest work of art but you can’t describe it, to know the mysteries of the universe but you can’t explain it. There are going to be a million “ok but what about” bc it’s a hypo. The point is to ask yourself if you can reconcile having that perfect clarity but you can’t share it with any living person that is able to comprehend it. Would it drive you crazy with frustration? Or would you take comfort in knowing that you are the smartest person alive?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2023, 11:57:01 PM »
But you switched the hypo to where you CAN describe it, just for the benefit of future generations rather than your own. You’ve got to be a real jerk to not take that deal solely because you won’t be alive when people appreciate your contribution.

FTR I think the original hypo was more interesting. But I think you changed the rules because you wanted to be more comfortable with saying yes to it.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2023, 08:03:27 PM »
Dude claims to have traveled back in time to the Gettysburg address. Claims he is in photo

https://www.strangerdimensions.com/2017/01/30/andrew-basiagos-1863-gettysburg-time-travel-photo/
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2023, 08:36:08 PM »
Dude claims to have traveled back in time to the Gettysburg address. Claims he is in photo

https://www.strangerdimensions.com/2017/01/30/andrew-basiagos-1863-gettysburg-time-travel-photo/

You just solved BAC's riddle.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2023, 10:11:56 PM »
Ok, look, you guys…here’s the thing. My strongest piece of evidence for why time travel is real…The Doors. Specifically, Jim Morrison. Like if you ever hear old interviews from Ray Manzarek he would describe their process of writing songs as sometimes Jim would just sorta sing a melody and then Ray and Robbie would try to reverse engineer and figure out what the melody is bc Jim couldn’t read music and couldn’t play any instruments. And he apparently wasn’t a very good singer, he had to work pretty hard at it.

So how does that happen? I think I’its pretty obvious that some day in the future a guy who is a big fan of The Doors is going to memorize as best he can all of their songs and then travel back in time and assume the identity of Jim Morrison (if that even was the name of the original lead singer) and then he’s just some guy trying to write all these doors songs that haven’t been written yet and he doesn’t know crap about music so he’s just kinda wingin it.

When you think about it, it really is the most likely scenario

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2023, 10:12:13 PM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2023, 09:46:31 PM »
I wonder if - in the 1800s - when the United States was admitting new states into the union every couple of years…if private citizens who choose to fly the flag like in their yard would fly an older version like, in the same way you still see people wear a Joe Montana chiefs jersey

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2023, 11:57:32 PM »
I just assumed that flying flags was a fairly recent thing.  Like since WW2.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2023, 12:00:19 AM »
It's actually very popular in the south to display old flags
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2023, 09:10:23 AM »
It's actually very popular in the south to display old flags

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
What if this reality we live in is a matrix, and we get pulled out of the matrix all the time and just don't know it?  What if they pull us out and say something like "Looks like you haven't learned your lesson yet," and then we are like "man, I can do it, just put me back in where I left off, and I'll keep trying."

That could have JUST happened to us.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2023, 07:45:50 PM »
Who is "they"?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2023, 08:21:11 PM »
Who is "they"?

Well obviously I don't know and can only speculate.  Probably it's the United Federation Planets' elaborate species conditioning scheme to prep us for full membership in the Federation. The higher score you get, the more social status and power you are entrusted with in the real world...the economic accoutrements, if you will.

So, we probably keep getting a rating that qualifies us to be a diamond miner in the real world Federation of Planets, and we are like "no way, Jose" and ask them to keep putting us back in until we get that score up.  We are probably shooting for something like a planetary ambassadorship, or at least interplanetary travel and leisure reporter.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2023, 08:42:59 PM »
Who is "they"?

Well obviously I don't know and can only speculate.  Probably it's the United Federation Planets' elaborate species conditioning scheme to prep us for full membership in the Federation. The higher score you get, the more social status and power you are entrusted with in the real world...the economic accoutrements, if you will.

So, we probably keep getting a rating that qualifies us to be a diamond miner in the real world Federation of Planets, and we are like "no way, Jose" and ask them to keep putting us back in until we get that score up.  We are probably shooting for something like a planetary ambassadorship, or at least interplanetary travel and leisure reporter.

Wait, does this mean we are close to developing warp speed technology?!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2023, 08:56:19 PM »
Who is "they"?

Wait, does this mean we are close to developing warp speed technology?!

Technically it already exists, but we may or may not know about it in the real world yet.  It's complicated.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2023, 09:03:25 PM »
So when we go back to the matrix how would we know what we need to improve to get the right job? Do "they" not clear "our" mind on reinsertion( :Keke: )?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2023, 09:09:20 PM »
So when we go back to the matrix how would we know what we need to improve to get the right job? Do "they" not clear "our" mind on reinsertion( :Keke: )?

I'm glad you asked.  Our memories from our time outside the matrix are cleared upon insertion into the matrix.  Conversely, when we are pulled out of the matrix, we retain our matrix memories and our real world memories are inserted into our brains somehow. 

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2023, 09:25:23 PM »
So you're saying insertion is a very pleasant experience but the pull out method can be quite a bit more intense? Very interesting.