Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 11768 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2023, 12:21:50 PM »
Leave no witnesses is an interesting approach
Mercifully leave only yourself with the guilt of knowing that you lived at the expense of others.

It’s noble…almost beautiful.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2023, 07:15:03 PM »
Three people can keep a secret if two are dead.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2023, 08:33:18 AM »
does the breath coming out of your nose smell the same as the breath coming out of your mouth?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2023, 11:12:06 PM »
does the breath coming out of your nose smell the same as the breath coming out of your mouth?
No, different microbiome and you don't pack funyuns in your nose

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2023, 11:12:42 PM »
Should I own Crocs?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2023, 05:57:56 AM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2023, 11:23:38 AM »
Taking a few steps back, I really don’t get the trolley problem. If you’re standing next to the switch it seems pretty irrelevant whether it is in one place or another by default. Either way you’re deciding which way it goes.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2023, 11:26:24 AM »
Taking a few steps back, I really don’t get the trolley problem. If you’re standing next to the switch it seems pretty irrelevant whether it is in one place or another by default. Either way you’re deciding which way it goes.

I think the question is whether you have a duty to act (or not act!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2023, 11:50:28 AM »
Should I own Crocs?
Yeah
I like the camo crocs, and think I might get some.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2023, 11:51:35 AM »
Should I own Crocs?
Yeah
I like the camo crocs, and think I might get some.
I mean you're a boat owner now, do you have any idea how practical they will be?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 11:55:21 AM by michigancat »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2023, 11:56:32 AM »
Pete seems like a sport mode kinda guy
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2023, 01:04:24 PM »

Not acting in that scenario seems clearly to be the moral equivalent of acting. The decision isn’t whether to pull the lever, it is whether to cause it to route to one track or the other. It just so happens that one of those choices requires not pulling the lever.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2023, 07:07:25 PM »
I really should get some crocs. Agree on the utility and sport mode, safety first when you are topside on my water craft.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2023, 07:24:20 PM »
Chacos > Crocs

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2023, 07:46:21 PM »
Chacos > Crocs
Hmmmmm, lemme check

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2023, 10:26:47 PM »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2023, 09:39:53 AM »
I’m a heydudes guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »

Not acting in that scenario seems clearly to be the moral equivalent of acting. The decision isn’t whether to pull the lever, it is whether to cause it to route to one track or the other. It just so happens that one of those choices requires not pulling the lever.

I think in the last few years we have been forced to reckon with so many atrocities that people are starting to understand that taking no action is still making a choice. But when this thought experiment was drawn up I think it was en vogue to think that taking no action was akin to having no agency in the outcome.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2023, 01:55:52 PM »

I think in the last few years we have been forced to reckon with so many atrocities that people are starting to understand that taking no action is still making a choice. But when this thought experiment was drawn up I think it was en vogue to think that taking no action was akin to having no agency in the outcome.

Yeah, I agree with cat. No action is action in this scenario. And once you accept that, it's a really stupid thought experiment, unless like Alec Baldwin is one of the 5, in which case, sorry other 4.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »
what is the threshold between "knowing" something vs memorizing? Like for example, if I'm watching Jeopardy! and the answer is the president of the united states in the year 1904. Maybe with a little luck Mayim sneaks in the word "bull" or "moose" but I bet for most of us our brains would have to go back to memorizing the presidents in order...I know for myself personally I do not know all the presidents in order off the top of my head, but I do have a few milestones that I know for sure...like Lincoln being the president during the civil war, Wilson being the president during WWI, as an example. Whereas like someone who really KNOWS history knows oh yeah, 1904 that's when they started building the Panama Canal and that was like a whole thing for Teddy Roosevelt so yeah 1904, Teddy Roosevelt was the president. But like, if you ask me who was the president in 2011 I don't need to try to remember any order, I know it was Obama b/c I was an alive adult at the time so like, i didn't really have to memorize that, I feel like I just inherently know in my bones who the president was in 2011.

Or like, another example, my friend Carl like, really KNOWS music. Knows music theory. And I can just be like "hey Carl how do you play a D# with a suspended 7th?" and like, I just made that up because i'm pretty sure all those words i just said are actual things, and there are a few chords i've memorized like Dsus4 that's a pretty common one, but I say that to Carl and Carl is like okay yeah lets see so you need to cover these notes for the D# and then to suspend the 7th that's X fret on the Y string.

I'm sure i could come up w/ several more examples, but like, what would you consider the threshold between knowing vs memorizing? Or is this a distinction without a difference?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2023, 01:16:54 PM »
There’s no difference between knowing and memorizing as long as your memory is correct, imo. A common definition of knowledge is “a true belief.” That doesn’t lead to a satisfying answer in every conceivable context, but if you stray very far outside of that then you’re inevitably going to end up with some version of “well maybe you just can’t ever REALLY KNOW anything,” which is also pretty unsatisfying.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2023, 01:48:39 PM »
I don't really care what happens to my body after I die. Like at all really. Within reason anyway, i don't want to be just thrown in the street. If I was forced to choose, my answer would be whatever my kids want. If my kids make me say, i'd say cremate and spread me around some place cool. Some in my family are obsessed with this. They want very specific grave sites, stones, positions, etc. They also want me to choose like right now where I want to be and get frustrated when I say I don't want to be in a giant box in the ground with a big shrine above me. I think its ridiculous. They really get mad when I say things like, "what if all those people under there were wrong and are just trapped down there forever instead of being spread out and being part of a tree or something".

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2023, 02:18:42 PM »
I don't really care what happens to my body after I die. Like at all really. Within reason anyway, i don't want to be just thrown in the street. If I was forced to choose, my answer would be whatever my kids want. If my kids make me say, i'd say cremate and spread me around some place cool. Some in my family are obsessed with this. They want very specific grave sites, stones, positions, etc. They also want me to choose like right now where I want to be and get frustrated when I say I don't want to be in a giant box in the ground with a big shrine above me. I think its ridiculous. They really get mad when I say things like, "what if all those people under there were wrong and are just trapped down there forever instead of being spread out and being part of a tree or something".

I'm pretty modest about it, myself. I only expect a medium- to medium-large sized pyramid to be constructed in my honor.

But seriously, in the event that I die and any of you remember this, I just want to be cremated, and then do with my cremains (lol word) as you see fit. I will be dead and won't care one way or another.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2023, 02:27:11 PM »

My mother's side of the family has pre-purchased plots and my mom reminded me the other day she has one at Sunset next to her parents and that her entire funeral was paid for and I was like okay, that is good I guess but dang

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2023, 09:25:16 PM »

My mother's side of the family has pre-purchased plots and my mom reminded me the other day she has one at Sunset next to her parents and that her entire funeral was paid for and I was like okay, that is good I guess but dang

Then donate your organs!!

Seriously, maybe let your residual cells and tissues have a purpose?