Author Topic: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)  (Read 10874 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2023, 01:39:02 PM »

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2023, 01:39:06 PM »
Are you able to tell people that you have the knowledge and show them the schematics, even though no one will be able to decipher them? If so, I'd take the trade off. I'd write everything down and publish it, knowing that at some distant point in the future, I would be vindicated in the fullness of time, and my legacy would live on forever.
You have the ability to say the words "I know how a time machine works" but yeah, when it comes to explaining how to do it your words and your schematics will not even come close to describing it in any sort of meaningful way. Your best hope is that your journals and rolled up schematic drawings and discovered some many generations in the future for them to say oh wow spracne was really out there understandin that crap way back in 2023. But like, man, imagine that you have in your brain composed quite literally the greatest masterpiece of a symphony and homeboy that is a concert for 1.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2023, 01:44:16 PM »
That hypothetical makes no sense. In that scenario knowing how to build a time machine is no different than not knowing.

What you’re describing (knowing how to do incredibly complicated things but unable to do them or explain to others) is an overconfident moron.

yes i mean it is kind of an existential question of what it means to "know" something. If you can't communicate that information then do you really "know" it? I would argue that one's ability to communicate an idea isn't essential to knowing something...more just like, an element of a greek tragedy. FWIW i have this kind of stuff happen to me maybe once a month when i have a dream and in that dream i tell you what buddy...i like, solved some serious problems. Or, more frequently, i came up with an Oscar worthy screenplay or literally the funniest joke that has ever been told. but of course i can't seem to remember it when i wake up. So like, I only know this stuff when i am in a state of being asleep, and i suck at communicating with awake people when i'm sleeping.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2023, 01:45:35 PM »
So the problem is a lack of wokeness?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2023, 01:52:29 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2023, 03:02:10 PM »
That hypothetical makes no sense. In that scenario knowing how to build a time machine is no different than not knowing.

What you’re describing (knowing how to do incredibly complicated things but unable to do them or explain to others) is an overconfident moron.

yes i mean it is kind of an existential question of what it means to "know" something. If you can't communicate that information then do you really "know" it? I would argue that one's ability to communicate an idea isn't essential to knowing something...more just like, an element of a greek tragedy. FWIW i have this kind of stuff happen to me maybe once a month when i have a dream and in that dream i tell you what buddy...i like, solved some serious problems. Or, more frequently, i came up with an Oscar worthy screenplay or literally the funniest joke that has ever been told. but of course i can't seem to remember it when i wake up. So like, I only know this stuff when i am in a state of being asleep, and i suck at communicating with awake people when i'm sleeping.

Still, to be in a perpetual state that you know something but cannot explain it just seems like mental illness to me.

It’s like saying if given the choice would you be a bird but you can’t fly and actually you look and talk and think exactly like you do now.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2023, 03:19:14 PM »

Still, to be in a perpetual state that you know something but cannot explain it just seems like mental illness to me.

It’s like saying if given the choice would you be a bird but you can’t fly and actually you look and talk and think exactly like you do now.

I feel like you're (intentionally?) misrepresenting his hypothetical.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2023, 04:26:45 PM »

In what way? I actually think the hypothetical is a pretty decent thought experiment for what it would be like to experience some mental illnesses.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2023, 04:46:38 PM »

In what way? I actually think the hypothetical is a pretty decent thought experiment for what it would be like to experience some mental illnesses.

It might come across as mental illness to others, but it's not mental illness. It's absolute clarity. And you have an opportunity to advance humanity in future generations, once your genius is understood.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2023, 04:52:27 PM »
If you could accurately describe how a nuclear fission reactor works to Julius Caesar, say, you would probably be identified by Julius Caesar as having a mental illness

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2023, 04:53:40 PM »
The hypothetical is that you would never be understood. Even if such advances were ever made, the only thing you could get credit for is insisting they were possible.

The only thing I’m adding is my contention that there is no practical difference between falsely believing you know something and “actually” knowing something that you can never explain.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2023, 05:14:47 PM »
The hypothetical is that you would never be understood. Even if such advances were ever made, the only thing you could get credit for is insisting they were possible.

The only thing I’m adding is my contention that there is no practical difference between falsely believing you know something and “actually” knowing something that you can never explain.

BAC clarified that future generations could possibly decipher your writings.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »
Yeah maybe how people “decipher” all the things Nostradamus totally predicted.

The thing is that possibility is also within the realm of outcomes if you are a lunatic who writes down a lot of random crap.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »

The thing is that possibility is also within the realm of outcomes if you are a lunatic who writes down a lot of random crap.

You're doing it again. BAC said you, hypothetically, have access to all the secrets of the Universe. This is not a Nostradamus situation.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2023, 07:07:16 PM »
And the implications of the hypo are indistinguishable from being insane. Do not want.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2023, 07:09:00 PM »
Insane might be harsh. Maybe schizophrenic or something.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2023, 07:36:01 PM »
if you were given the opportunity...you can have the brain function to understand literally anything...quantum mechanics, time travel, music theory, etc. but you have to surrender the ability to express/demonstrate/convey that knowledge, would you take that deal? And when i say you are unable to convey or demonstrate i mean, for example, you know how a time machine works but you don't have the ability to build it yourself nor do you have the ability to explain to someone else how to build it or to draw up schematics on how to build it. And i'd say like okay yeah you can have some journal with all your equations and stuff but they are so high level that not even the most brilliant scientists or mathematicians can decipher it at all. Oh and for the sake of this hypothetical, possessing this knowledge will not in and of itself kill you, its not like that the 1996 John Travolta movie Phenomenon (SPOILER ALERT SORT OF EVEN THOUGH THAT MOVIE IS OVER A QUARTER CENTURY YEAR OLD SO EFF YOU)where like he suddenly is wicked smaht but its because he's got some kind of tumor that drastically shortens his life. No no, in this scenario you will continue to live out your life just as you would have before you knew exactly how everything in the universe works. I suppose maybe it could drive you mad with frustration that you like, understand how to do nuclear fusion and could provide free electricity for the entire world forever but you don't have the ability to build that machine or show someone else how to build it. That might drive me crazy.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to build the machine I'd you knew how to do it.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2023, 07:39:05 PM »
If we started now, and our species started favoring humans with long, dexterous, toes, how many generations before we had feet comparable to hands in their utility.

@Pete last night on 60 minutes I learned all of the selective breeding we see that produces such variance in dog breeds has been done in the past 200 years. I think we can get the toe thing done in like 500 years.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »
And the implications of the hypo are indistinguishable from being insane. Do not want.

Insane would imply being delusional. Think of it like if some new medical procedure is developed and you’re just like oh yeah I’ll definitely get that procedure or conversely you would realize oh wait this one is going to lead to all these other complications so I think I’ll pass

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2023, 08:53:52 PM »

You're doing it again. BAC said you, hypothetically, have access to all the secrets of the Universe. This is not a Nostradamus situation.

Yes exactly. You’re not confined to speaking in cryptic riddles, you just cannot explain any of these mysteries of the universe to anyone. Like trying to explain a smart phone to Julius Cesar like his brain probably could not even comprehend that sort of thing, it would take several hundreds of years before anyone would have any hope of being able to pick up what you’re puttin down.

The hard part is making sure you impress upon your contemporaries why they should preserve your journals and schematics. For that reason, I think I would eat the Mona Lisa.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2023, 09:15:53 PM »
If we started now, and our species started favoring humans with long, dexterous, toes, how many generations before we had feet comparable to hands in their utility.

@Pete last night on 60 minutes I learned all of the selective breeding we see that produces such variance in dog breeds has been done in the past 200 years. I think we can get the toe thing done in like 500 years.
Wonderful news. This is how we take the next great step as a species.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Deep Thoughts (shower thoughts ok too but no Pit stuff)
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2023, 09:17:41 PM »
Question for the board, would you willingly have sexual intercourse with a partner who looked like a super model in every way, except they had long dexterous toes that could function like fingers?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2023, 09:30:59 PM »
Question for the board, would you willingly have sexual intercourse with a partner who looked like a super model in every way, except they had long dexterous toes that could function like fingers?

Yeah. Why not?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2023, 09:35:44 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2023, 10:17:29 PM »
Gross toes? Would not bang
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite