Author Topic: oscar's Press Conference  (Read 14237 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: oscar's Press Conference
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »
It doesn’t really matter how many games he won, he left the program in worse shape than when he got here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disagree

It’s a dumb point because bball can be turned around quickly. Also most of the time someone gets canned, the program is worse than before.

OOD atmosphere, tho. Angriest Fanbase status isn’t something that just falls out of the sky to the best team in the league that year, tho. That’s a culture that takes a few consecutive years. Hopefully Brad can get our atmosphere rejuvinated.
This is more of a testament to Frank leaving. Not hiring oscar.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2022, 08:45:15 AM »
So, current talent on the basketball team is worse than it was when frank left and oscar showed up. There is more fan apathy now and ticket sales/fan attendance is WAY worse than it was when frank left and oscar showed up.

However, oscar is not leaving the program in worse shape than when he got it because ticket sales, apathy and talent level can change and get to pre oscar hire levels if kstate hires the right coach? Gotcha.

I will be sure to check this thread in three years to figure out the current status of the program because god forbid we actually form an opinion based on its current status, attendance, ticket sales, win/loss record and compare them to what they were immediately before oscar was hired.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 08:54:03 AM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2022, 08:58:31 AM »
In related news, no program can either be better or worse than it ever was because it’s always possible to get better or worse in the future. Just keep that in mind.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2022, 09:06:11 AM »
Nice to have RowdyyBoyy back and posting with vim and vigor
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2022, 09:14:42 AM »
If Andy Reid died today, did he leave the chiefs better of than when he showed up? Impossible to say because the chiefs had Todd Haley before him and I remember a chiefs game under Todd Haley where they lost and there weren’t a lot of fans at the game 🤷???

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »

Did you intentionally miss the point that badly? Do you really think that me or anyone else thinks we would have been top 25 if oscar stayed? The point, justwin, is that I don't think the program is worse off, because with the right hire the fans will come back. We're just as fickle now as we were in 2012 as we were in 2004. I saw the occasional sell out even when wooly was here. I know it's the thing to do to act like everything involving K-State is the worst ever, but as long as the next dude wins, we'll be fine.

How many fans will be at the conference opener next year, no rough ridin' idea. Ask me again when I know what the coach is and what will happen in the noncon

The program is undoubtedly in worse shape now than when oscar took over. That's not really even debatable. Of course the program can bounce back, but that doesn't change the fact that the program is worse now than oscar took over. He's the only coach of the last four where you could say that.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
you know how when they clean up all the trash from a filthy beach and then the sea turtles will come back and start laying their eggs again? I mean Asava is back and Daris is bringin the spicy mustard. I don't think _FAN will be making an appearance but hey anything could happen

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2022, 09:31:17 AM »
In related news, no program can either be better or worse than it ever was because it’s always possible to get better or worse in the future. Just keep that in mind.

Fairly accurate, yes. There can be a point with a fan base that they give up, see Missouri after Kim Anderson, but we aren't close to that yet.

You're playing a bit of shell game with the roster. While I don't believe in the so called mass exodus was actually a thing, there were certainly going to be some hits to that roster, two starters for sure, maybe three. You are also discounting how quickly it is to build a roster now than it was in 2012. That has to be acknowledged, unless we're just going to do the oscar is a poopy head thing and ignore everything else. Texas Tech on April 15th of last year did not look like a team that was even going to compete for the Big 12, and now they are a trendy pick to go to the final four. It's much easier to win quickly now, just as it's much easier to see a championship roster decimated. That can be acknowledged without having to give oscar any credit for it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »
you know how when they clean up all the trash from a filthy beach and then the sea turtles will come back and start laying their eggs again? I mean Asava is back and Daris is bringin the spicy mustard. I don't think _FAN will be making an appearance but hey anything could happen

In this analogy, _FAN didn't leave because of apathy, he doesn't post here because the toxicity of the place dove people off. He's still doing his thing other places.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »

Fairly accurate, yes. There can be a point with a fan base that they give up, see Missouri after Kim Anderson, but we aren't close to that yet.

You're playing a bit of shell game with the roster. While I don't believe in the so called mass exodus was actually a thing, there were certainly going to be some hits to that roster, two starters for sure, maybe three. You are also discounting how quickly it is to build a roster now than it was in 2012. That has to be acknowledged, unless we're just going to do the oscar is a poopy head thing and ignore everything else. Texas Tech on April 15th of last year did not look like a team that was even going to compete for the Big 12, and now they are a trendy pick to go to the final four. It's much easier to win quickly now, just as it's much easier to see a championship roster decimated. That can be acknowledged without having to give oscar any credit for it.

In fairness, I didn’t even know that a shell game was being played, more/less agree to actively participate in it.

You however just spent a majority of your response as to whether the Kansas state basketball program is better, worse or the same now as it was when oscar was hired, discussing Texas tech.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »
I will be sure to check this thread in three years to figure out the current status of the program because god forbid we actually form an opinion based on its current status, attendance, ticket sales, win/loss record and compare them to what they were immediately before oscar was hired.

Since SD checked wacky, I'll do the same here. You're a bit emotional and I'm confused as to why. No one said you weren't allowed an opinion, we are allowed to disagree. I don't care if the program is worse off or not, have your point, my larger one is whether the program is worse off or not, it doesn't matter because the new guy will still have expectations. It's not like everyone will just be like "oh well" if he finishes in 8th place next year. If it makes y'all better to say oscar left the program in worse shape, can all of you be held to that with patience for the new hire?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »

In fairness, I didn’t even know that a shell game was being played, more/less agree to actively participate in it.

You however just spent a majority of your response as to whether the Kansas state basketball program is better, worse or the same now as it was when oscar was hired, discussing Texas tech.

It was literally one sentence. Here, does that change the point of the post?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:32 AM »
When oscar got here, we had just hired oscar Weber. Now he's gone, so it seems the program might be in better shape. But, it depends on who we hire to replace him...

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2022, 09:47:25 AM »
I think the issue is that people use “program in better/worse shape” in different ways. You’re literally taking a snapshot of now vs. when oscar took over. I don’t think that’s a meaningful way to view a coach’s legacy or impact on a program. That means oscar could have left at various different times during his tenure and that suddenly makes him a better coach at KSU?

Like MIR has said ad nauseum, we’re an exciting hire and solid non-con away from plenty of buzz and crowded stands in OOD. We’re only a few years removed from a Big 12 championship and Elite Eight run! The program overall is fine.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2022, 09:52:23 AM »

Maybe? I guess it seems like your point is that given the current state of college basketball, it is currently impossible for a single college basketball coach to leave a program any better or worse off than it was when they started the job. Therefore, the Kansas state program by default is not better or worse than it was when oscar took over. Is that your point?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2022, 10:10:36 AM »
Garbage attendance and fan apathy during a not insignificant portion of the oscar era certainly counts at least a little bit as leaving the program in worse shape since years worth of OOD-level ticket sales would further pad the pile of :kstategrad: that we could throw at a better coach to replace oscar  :dunno:

oscar is lucky Covid happened during a stretch where his teams already stunk and fans had mostly given up. To say a coach who was here ten years can have no material affect for better or for worse on a program just because basketbally teams can get good again quicker than football teams is kind of bonkers.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2022, 11:00:58 AM »

What's up?

Plenty of good, get your final oscar thoughts out comments here. oscar should have just released a statement the next morning and called it good. I thought his postgame comments were pretty good actually and a fine end to his tenure. (and it should be the end). But in the zoom he couldn't help himself and IMO while he used the general words fanbase/social media he was really talking about Fitz and the portion of the fanbase (of which I was a part at the time) pining for Brad in 2016 and 2017. That's what he truly took offense at, especially when he recovered from that dark moment to get an Elite 8 and conference title. These coaches always say they don't pay attention to the media and never forget, but that stuff is burned into their brains. Heck, he even brought up the Gottlieb meeting (of which I was also a part, pre sink breaking).

In the end oscar got in front of the media and made very oscar comments. He had a terrible end to his era, yet we as fans can bring up his accomplishments when we compare ourselves to other programs vying for coaches right now. None of the others programs can claim a pair of Elite 8s and a pair of conference titles in the last dozen or so years and that's what Gene and K-State need to be selling; come here and you can win just like the last 3 coaches have.

I will remember oscar fondly overall and appreciate the good times though the last 3 seasons (I enjoyed this one much of the time though) and his final presser weren't his best moments for sure.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:09:50 AM by kso_FWN »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2022, 11:03:20 AM »

Maybe? I guess it seems like your point is that given the current state of college basketball, it is currently impossible for a single college basketball coach to leave a program any better or worse off than it was when they started the job. Therefore, the Kansas state program by default is not better or worse than it was when oscar took over. Is that your point?

My point is that none of that matters, at all. You're hung up of something that has no consequence to what is going to happen next year. If the new coach goes 9-21 next year, we aren't going to accept the excuse of "my roster sucked." Taking the 2021-22 to 22-23 roster as a tangible example. If Pack leaves, that means five of the top six in the rotation are will need to be replaced. Eight of the top ten on the current roster will have either no eligibility left or have a free transfer left. Which means other than Nowell and Massoud, everyone has the ability to be replaced. If we do go that 9-21, are we going to be  :curse: oscar, or will the narrative be the new coach either missed a bunch of his targets then misevaluated the transfers he did land?

Sounds like you're setting up a narrative not to hold the new coach accountable if he has a bad season.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »
The program right now is absolutely worse than when oscar took over and I don't know how that is even debatable.

People can debate if oscar was better than Frank or if oscar was a good coach here if they want.  The program, at this point in time, is certainly not as good as it was in 2013 when he took over.  We had a program in 2012 that caused another P5 team to steal our coach and a program in 2022 that caused our coach to be fired.  oscar certainly deserves some credit for winning it in 2013 but he inherited a roster capable of winning a B12 title and this roster is nowhere near that.

If Pack leaves, that means five of the top six in the rotation are will need to be replaced. Eight of the top ten on the current roster will have either no eligibility left or have a free transfer left. Which means other than Nowell and Massoud, everyone has the ability to be replaced. If we do go that 9-21, are we going to be  :curse: oscar, or will the narrative be the new coach either missed a bunch of his targets then misevaluated the transfers he did land?

Sounds like you're setting up a narrative not to hold the new coach accountable if he has a bad season.

This whole section talks about how shitty the current roster is which is exactly the point.  lol @ talking about the potential of a 9-21 season with the roster Frank left.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2022, 11:21:08 AM »
Discussion on this thread is interesting as far as it goes, but does no answer the one question that seems important:

Does oscar Weber have enough gravitas within the coaching community to influence (negatively) KSU's replacement coach search?  Every coach interviewed and asked about oscar Weber always give him the highest coaching accolades, and they sound sincere.  I've heard lots of insincere praise, so know the difference. 

Can oscar cause us headaches in the coaching community?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2022, 11:27:30 AM »
Discussion on this thread is interesting as far as it goes, but does no answer the one question that seems important:

Does oscar Weber have enough gravitas within the coaching community to influence (negatively) KSU's replacement coach search?  Every coach interviewed and asked about oscar Weber always give him the highest coaching accolades, and they sound sincere.  I've heard lots of insincere praise, so know the difference. 

No and he sounds like a scorned lover

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar's Press Conference
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
He can say whatever he wants I guess, but the facts speak for themselves:

Coached here 10 years

Given multiple second chances, most notably after the Marcus Foster blowup

After an absolutely horrible 3 season stretch, given the opportunity for a graceful exit

If you’re a coach with any confidence in your abilities, it seems like an attractive job. We aren’t historically quick to fire bball HCs, and the ones we’ve had have all been able to achieve some great things while here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2022, 11:56:27 AM »

No. We gave him a decade and his complaint wasn't that he wasn't supported, it was that people are mean on the internet. Even the coach of North Texas isn't concerned with that.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »

My point is that none of that matters, at all. You're hung up of something that has no consequence to what is going to happen next year. If the new coach goes 9-21 next year, we aren't going to accept the excuse of "my roster sucked." Taking the 2021-22 to 22-23 roster as a tangible example. If Pack leaves, that means five of the top six in the rotation are will need to be replaced. Eight of the top ten on the current roster will have either no eligibility left or have a free transfer left. Which means other than Nowell and Massoud, everyone has the ability to be replaced. If we do go that 9-21, are we going to be  :curse: oscar, or will the narrative be the new coach either missed a bunch of his targets then misevaluated the transfers he did land?

I’m not attempting to set up anything other than an honest discussion as to whether oscar left the program better or worse than what it was when he inherited it. You think he either left it better or the same. I disagree.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2022, 12:06:51 PM »
The program right now is absolutely worse than when oscar took over and I don't know how that is even debatable.

People can debate if oscar was better than Frank or if oscar was a good coach here if they want.  The program, at this point in time, is certainly not as good as it was in 2013 when he took over.  We had a program in 2012 that caused another P5 team to steal our coach and a program in 2022 that caused our coach to be fired.  oscar certainly deserves some credit for winning it in 2013 but he inherited a roster capable of winning a B12 title and this roster is nowhere near that.

If Pack leaves, that means five of the top six in the rotation are will need to be replaced. Eight of the top ten on the current roster will have either no eligibility left or have a free transfer left. Which means other than Nowell and Massoud, everyone has the ability to be replaced. If we do go that 9-21, are we going to be  :curse: oscar, or will the narrative be the new coach either missed a bunch of his targets then misevaluated the transfers he did land?

This whole section talks about how shitty the current roster is which is exactly the point.  lol @ talking about the potential of a 9-21 season with the roster Frank left.

You cut out the point of that post that was the actual point and I have said it more than once, I'll say it one more time.

oscar Weber left K-State worse than he found it. We were a top 15 program when he got here now we're not even top 150.

Everyone happy? We good now?

What rough ridin' difference does it make? I'm still waiting for one of you to say that you're going to hold the next coach to a lower standard because the program is in such a bad place.