Author Topic: oscar's Press Conference  (Read 14216 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar's Press Conference
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2022, 11:07:01 AM »
lol, I overlooked that part.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2022, 11:11:00 AM »
Daris is bang on correct about Brad/Frank/Delonte/Huggins. Huggs assistants weren't this group of heralded Xs & Is guys, they were recruiters. Brad isn't some dude like the guy at NW MO St. dominating D3 with tactics, he gets players. I hope our AD is focused on getting a coach who can get players and run a program. Shot making and defense wins games, not some ability to draw up a great inbounds play.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2022, 11:19:15 AM »
Daris is bang on correct about Brad/Frank/Delonte/Huggins. Huggs assistants weren't this group of heralded Xs & Is guys, they were recruiters. Brad isn't some dude like the guy at NW MO St. dominating D3 with tactics, he gets players. I hope our AD is focused on getting a coach who can get players and run a program. Shot making and defense wins games, not some ability to draw up a great inbounds play.

Brad changed the offense during Pullen's senior year and changed the trajectory of that season.  He also took Oklahoma State's roster from firing the head coach to the tournament with largely the same players (I think), although I wouldn't argue with blaming Ford for some of the change.  I don't think it's drawing up plays necessarily but having a system and teaching players how to instinctually make adjustments in that system.  I agree that being a recruiter is more important than anything but I think Brad is a really good coach as well.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar's Press Conference
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2022, 11:37:11 AM »
You know miles more about basketball than I do, but just from the eye test I’ve seen Bill Self win several close games (which happens a lot in college BB) by drawing up a perfect inbounds play in the final seconds.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2022, 01:01:05 PM »
You know miles more about basketball than I do, but just from the eye test I’ve seen Bill Self win several close games (which happens a lot in college BB) by drawing up a perfect inbounds play in the final seconds.

I think you're both right. Self has 5 guys on the floor who can make shots and/or dunk through contact. Heck of a lot easier to draw up a play with options. oscar had 1 option - the only "play" I remember him running was - throw it deep and let Barry/Pack go chase it down in the backcourt and try to iso a bucket. Not saying oscar would have drawn up a play with 5 dudes who can get bucket, but that goes back to recruiting them in the first place. Give me the 4-5 guys first and hopefully the rest takes care of itself.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2022, 01:45:25 PM »
Dumbass burnout Florida Juco coach has a negative connotation in the circles I run in.  Maybe it%u2019s a fair characterization, just feels like a weird thing to say.  Also hope we get Brad, go cats.

Haha fair enough. I guess my point was that Brad wasn’t exactly on the fast track for head coaching stardom when Huggins realized that it might be nice to have a kstater on staff and even then he was only Huggin’s dobo. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:54:26 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2022, 01:48:12 PM »
Looks like we got spurned by Brad anyway, time to see if Jerome Tang can be the Tommy Lloyd to our Arizona.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2022, 07:48:47 AM »
This tweet made me think about this

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1505698706884071426
In the end oscar got in front of the media and made very oscar comments. He had a terrible end to his era, yet we as fans can bring up his accomplishments when we compare ourselves to other programs vying for coaches right now. None of the others programs can claim a pair of Elite 8s and a pair of conference titles in the last dozen or so years and that's what Gene and K-State need to be selling; come here and you can win just like the last 3 coaches have.

this is a great point and the two conference titles in ten years (with a pretty losery coach that was fired) is a pretty strong argument that the program is more attractive to potential coaches than we were when we lost our most successful coach in 30 years to a shitty loser program.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2022, 08:25:18 AM »
I'm assuming the other jobs were the SEC schools? Either way, seeing that tweet made it move a little bit.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles