Author Topic: oscar's Press Conference  (Read 14269 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar's Press Conference
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2022, 09:12:52 PM »
His dumbass should have retired after he won his second big 12 championship but his ego wouldn’t allow it. 2 ships 5/7 NCAA appearances and an elite 8.  Would have been a legend.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2022, 09:20:48 PM »
His dumbass should have retired after he won his second big 12 championship but his ego wouldn’t allow it. 2 ships 5/7 NCAA appearances and an elite 8.  Would have been a legend.
Unless you’re chasing endorsement deals the absolute dumbest thing anyone could do would be quitting your job at your highest value.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2022, 09:20:57 PM »
Which was better - his illinois career or his ksu career?  Or were they the same?

you are 100% what your NCAA tourney career says you are. Illinois by miles.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2022, 09:23:58 PM »
The second B12 title was a more impressive accomplishment because it was 100% him.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2022, 09:25:46 PM »
I think even the most ardent haters would have to unconditionally tip their cap to the man and they would appreciate him that much more bc that would also mean Brad was in his 3rd year at the helm of the U.S.S. Purplecats with the sole mission of kicking total ass 24/7/365

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2022, 09:26:26 PM »
The second B12 title was a more impressive accomplishment because it was 100% him.

I didn't even remember the first one until it came up in these "legacy" conversations. so I'd agree.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2022, 09:27:18 PM »

I didn't even remember the first one until it came up in these "legacy" conversations. so I'd agree.
I mean relative to what he did at Illinois. He never recovered after he lost the Self recruits

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2022, 09:28:28 PM »
Not easy to win at Illinois.

Come home Brad.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2022, 09:40:30 PM »
It’s true, he had some ups. I have always been Anti-oscar so obviously I love to nitpick but I will admit we had a few fun times. But more than anything, his legacy for me will be the way he absolutely killed the OOD. I mean that place was insane when Frank was here and our teams were absolutely full of JYCs. We were once the Angriest Fanbase in America. We are now the most vanished. Almost no one can be bothered to go to games, and those who do simply aren’t even remotely angry. The OOD is dead and it solely falls on the feet of one guy.

To think, we could’ve had oscar Pearl, but instead we got this dweeb.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2022, 09:44:54 PM »
We couldn't have hired oscar Pearl

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2022, 09:57:49 PM »
Yeah, Pearl was still under the show cause and couldnt have coached when we hired weber.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2022, 09:58:35 PM »
I think oscar might have had the most successful tenure on this list outside of Kevin Ollie? (Who was eventually fired)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/analysis-of-the-2012-coaching-changes/amp/

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2022, 10:01:08 PM »
Which was better - his illinois career or his ksu career?  Or were they the same?

you are 100% what your NCAA tourney career says you are. Illinois by miles.

By miles? I'd say Illinois was better too but it really comes down to winning a single game his first year at Illinois that he lost his 6th year at K-State.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2022, 10:02:50 PM »
I will go to the grave believing that The Flush is solely responsible for saving oscar’s job. No Barry and oscar is fired four years ago. oscar owes Barry at least a million dollars. I guess oscar recruited Barry and whatever though so 🤷???

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2022, 10:09:46 PM »
I can't believe he only missed two NCAA tournaments, in the middle of his time here, after the Marcus Foster roster rebuild, it seemed like so many more. Those were two long ass years.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2022, 10:16:41 PM »
I can't believe he only missed two NCAA tournaments, in the middle of his time here, after the Marcus Foster roster rebuild, it seemed like so many more. Those were two long ass years.
Expectation is a hell of a drug

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2022, 10:19:38 PM »
Bounced from the play-in round barely counts as being in the tournament :jerk:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2022, 10:21:54 PM »
I will go to the grave believing that The Flush is solely responsible for saving oscar’s job. No Barry and oscar is fired four years ago. oscar owes Barry at least a million dollars. I guess oscar recruited Barry and whatever though so 🤷???

Sure it wasn’t the unicorn from St John KS that gets 20 minutes a game in the league?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2022, 10:24:12 PM »
Yeah, Pearl was still under the show cause and couldnt have coached when we hired weber.

Nah, I remember gE hatched a plan to have rule following tyrant John Currie make a case to the NCAA or something and for us to sit out those two years of the tourney. ("The Show-cause penalty wiki entry says this: Contrary to popular belief, an NCAA member school is allowed to hire a coach who is under an ongoing show-cause order.")

Anyway, I still would've taken two oppressive probation years under oscar Pearl to have fun basketball now. We'd be ballin' in the top 10 right now instead of on a coach search and we would've been partying the whole time with shirtless Pearl on a pontoon boat in Tuttle Creek. Longshot hire? Duh. Still seemed like less of a longshot than Gottleib, who also would've been more fun than milquetoast oscar.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:48:04 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2022, 10:47:33 PM »

Sure it wasn’t the unicorn from St John KS that gets 20 minutes a game in the league?

The random once every thirty year small town Kansas kid whose family loved the cats certainly helped as well. That was barry’s team though.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2022, 01:19:55 AM »
I very much enjoyed the couple good years, and very much either disliked or (more recently) lost interest in the bad years. He'll be remembered for those couple good years and also for being shitty for the majority of his time here and getting fired for being shitty. it is what it is, ups and downs. I hope the next coach is way better!
This is the summary for me. He achieved a lot on paper but there was never any real excitement surrounding the team save one year and that showed in Bramlage.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2022, 01:30:53 AM »

i love this. Claws was barely a 4 star, The Flush wasn't even top 150. if anything he's more unlucky that a lot of similarly ranked players were complete busts that i don't think any coaches could have saved.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2022, 04:34:22 AM »
Bounced from the play-in round barely counts as being in the tournament :jerk:

We didn't tho. We won the play in round, beat Danny Manning with Wake Forest. Beat the crap out of them iirc.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2022, 08:17:09 AM »
Holy crap, some of you are impossible to talk sports with… :lol: I can’t even imagine how much of a loser you have to be to try and devalue his successes here. It makes you look dumb, gross, and petty as crap.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2022, 08:26:24 AM »
Holy crap, some of you are impossible to talk sports with… :lol: I can’t even imagine how much of a loser you have to be to try and devalue his successes here. It makes you look dumb, gross, and petty as crap.

everyone seems to be having reasonable discussions about his legacy here. why are you freaking out and calling names (and who are you directing that at)?