Author Topic: oscar's Press Conference  (Read 14288 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar's Press Conference
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2022, 12:09:01 PM »
The program right now is absolutely worse than when oscar took over and I don't know how that is even debatable.

People can debate if oscar was better than Frank or if oscar was a good coach here if they want.  The program, at this point in time, is certainly not as good as it was in 2013 when he took over.  We had a program in 2012 that caused another P5 team to steal our coach and a program in 2022 that caused our coach to be fired.  oscar certainly deserves some credit for winning it in 2013 but he inherited a roster capable of winning a B12 title and this roster is nowhere near that.

If Pack leaves, that means five of the top six in the rotation are will need to be replaced. Eight of the top ten on the current roster will have either no eligibility left or have a free transfer left. Which means other than Nowell and Massoud, everyone has the ability to be replaced. If we do go that 9-21, are we going to be  :curse: oscar, or will the narrative be the new coach either missed a bunch of his targets then misevaluated the transfers he did land?

Sounds like you're setting up a narrative not to hold the new coach accountable if he has a bad season.

This whole section talks about how shitty the current roster is which is exactly the point.  lol @ talking about the potential of a 9-21 season with the roster Frank left.

You cut out the point of that post that was the actual point and I have said it more than once, I'll say it one more time.

oscar Weber left K-State worse than he found it. We were a top 15 program when he got here now we're not even top 150.

Everyone happy? We good now?

What rough ridin' difference does it make? I'm still waiting for one of you to say that you're going to hold the next coach to a lower standard because the program is in such a bad place.

If you also include fan apathy, attendance, season ticket sales and current roster talent in your reasons as to why he left it worse then yes. Yes, I will be happy.

Also and this is a completely separate conversation- my expectation for the next coach is to keep all of the good players and make the tournament next year. Should be doable.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2022, 12:10:22 PM »
The last twelve pages are because you said you disagreed with my post that he left the program worse than he found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2022, 12:39:00 PM »
you know how when they clean up all the trash from a filthy beach and then the sea turtles will come back and start laying their eggs again? I mean Asava is back and Daris is bringin the spicy mustard. I don't think _FAN will be making an appearance but hey anything could happen

What's up?

Plenty of good, get your final oscar thoughts out comments here. oscar should have just released a statement the next morning and called it good. I thought his postgame comments were pretty good actually and a fine end to his tenure. (and it should be the end). But in the zoom he couldn't help himself and IMO while he used the general words fanbase/social media he was really talking about Fitz and the portion of the fanbase (of which I was a part at the time) pining for Brad in 2016 and 2017. That's what he truly took offense at, especially when he recovered from that dark moment to get an Elite 8 and conference title. These coaches always say they don't pay attention to the media and never forget, but that stuff is burned into their brains. Heck, he even brought up the Gottlieb meeting (of which I was also a part, pre sink breaking).

In the end oscar got in front of the media and made very oscar comments. He had a terrible end to his era, yet we as fans can bring up his accomplishments when we compare ourselves to other programs vying for coaches right now. None of the others programs can claim a pair of Elite 8s and a pair of conference titles in the last dozen or so years and that's what Gene and K-State need to be selling; come here and you can win just like the last 3 coaches have.

I will remember oscar fondly overall and appreciate the good times though the last 3 seasons (I enjoyed this one much of the time though) and his final presser weren't his best moments for sure.

Glad to see the master make an appearance
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »
The program right now is absolutely worse than when oscar took over and I don't know how that is even debatable.

People can debate if oscar was better than Frank or if oscar was a good coach here if they want.  The program, at this point in time, is certainly not as good as it was in 2013 when he took over.  We had a program in 2012 that caused another P5 team to steal our coach and a program in 2022 that caused our coach to be fired.  oscar certainly deserves some credit for winning it in 2013 but he inherited a roster capable of winning a B12 title and this roster is nowhere near that.

If Pack leaves, that means five of the top six in the rotation are will need to be replaced. Eight of the top ten on the current roster will have either no eligibility left or have a free transfer left. Which means other than Nowell and Massoud, everyone has the ability to be replaced. If we do go that 9-21, are we going to be  :curse: oscar, or will the narrative be the new coach either missed a bunch of his targets then misevaluated the transfers he did land?

Sounds like you're setting up a narrative not to hold the new coach accountable if he has a bad season.

This whole section talks about how shitty the current roster is which is exactly the point.  lol @ talking about the potential of a 9-21 season with the roster Frank left.

You cut out the point of that post that was the actual point and I have said it more than once, I'll say it one more time.

oscar Weber left K-State worse than he found it. We were a top 15 program when he got here now we're not even top 150.

What rough ridin' difference does it make? I'm still waiting for one of you to say that you're going to hold the next coach to a lower standard because the program is in such a bad place.

If you also include fan apathy, attendance, season ticket sales and current roster talent in your reasons as to why he left it worse then yes. Yes, I will be happy.

Also and this is a completely separate conversation- my expectation for the next coach is to keep all of the good players and make the tournament next year. Should be doable.

I went to almost every KSU home game from 2006-2013 but have been totally apathetic after Currie and Oscar killed my optimism. Seeing Oscar get forced out made me more excited about K-State basketball than I've been in a decade.

Hopefully our next coach can get us out of the first round more than once per decade and elevate our program to compete with the likes of Le Salle, UC Irvine, and the Loyola Ramblers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »
The last twelve pages are because you said you disagreed with my post that he left the program worse than he found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quite clearly expressed why I disagreed as well, but it doesn't matter either way. Do I need to type that a 6th time or was this succinct enough for you to get it?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2022, 01:18:19 PM »
In the end oscar got in front of the media and made very oscar comments. He had a terrible end to his era, yet we as fans can bring up his accomplishments when we compare ourselves to other programs vying for coaches right now. None of the others programs can claim a pair of Elite 8s and a pair of conference titles in the last dozen or so years and that's what Gene and K-State need to be selling; come here and you can win just like the last 3 coaches have.

this is a great point and the two conference titles in ten years (with a pretty losery coach that was fired) is a pretty strong argument that the program is more attractive to potential coaches than we were when we lost our most successful coach in 30 years to a shitty loser program.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2022, 01:21:28 PM »
new coach also possibly gets nijel rough ridin' pack

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »

So there are measurables here, namely ticket sales and season ticket holders. Certainly those are down, I won't argue otherwise, and I won't even use COVID and an industry wide decrease in sales as an excuse. Although, that negative momentum started with how Frank's time here ended, not with the hiring of oscar. And yes, like I already said, I'm sure the overall feelings about K-State basketball isn't great, but that can change pretty quickly.

I'm not conceding anything as regards to the condition of the roster. If you thought the roster was in good shape, that's a testament to oscar just as much, if not more, than it was to Frank. And rosters now today are just a different measurement. He could have 3 All Americans on the roster now and it has no bearing on what what roster will look like in n November.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »

I'm not holding the next coach to a lower standard long term but if there is a down year, it could be more forgivable to me.  9-21 isn't going to be good enough under any circumstance.  If he has a oscar-ish 14-17 record, I could potentially overlook some of it if there are positives in recruiting or elsewhere to give me hope.  The current roster and quality of the program absolutely result in lower expectations for me in the first year or two.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2022, 01:58:22 PM »

I'm not holding the next coach to a lower standard long term but if there is a down year, it could be more forgivable to me.  9-21 isn't going to be good enough under any circumstance.  If he has a oscar-ish 14-17 record, I could potentially overlook some of it if there are positives in recruiting or elsewhere to give me hope.  The current roster and quality of the program absolutely result in lower expectations for me in the first year or two.

The current roster has a 1st team all conference player and a point guard who will likely be preseason 2nd team all conference next year. oscar didn't get that.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2022, 02:16:05 PM »

The current roster has a 1st team all conference player and a point guard who will likely be preseason 2nd team all conference next year. oscar didn't get that.

Those two players are very good!!  They're better but very comparable to Rod (2nd team all-conference) and Angel (couldn't find a preseason all-conference list from 2012-13 but stats are similar).  The biggest difference though is that the rest of the roster this year was mostly trash.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2022, 02:42:31 PM »
downgrading the two conference titles because they were shared is really dumb to me.

what is probably also dumb but i can't help but do it: downgrading the two conference titles because we really didn't get to savor them, since they were immediately followed up with two colossal first round faceplants in the tornament

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2022, 02:58:55 PM »
I theoretically don't care that they're shared but I am glad that one wasn't shared with KU, thus ending their streak.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2022, 03:00:00 PM »
2019 tournament I get because Wade was out and Barry was basically playing on one leg.  I’ll have PTSD the rest of my life losing to La Salle in a de facto home game in the Sprint Center with a full compliment of players.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2022, 03:07:27 PM »
Losing to LaSalle was oscar's worst mistake of his era. He didn't win everybody over by winning the conference, it was hilarious that he mentioned in his last press conference that he didn't even watch the KU/Baylor game, but the people who weren't sold felt like that LaSalle game confirmed their fears. There were some who were reluctantly in, who jumped right out because that loss scared them.

Then he spent the next 4 seasons giving people reasons to not believe in him and his program.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
2019 tournament I get because Wade was out and Barry was basically playing on one leg.  I’ll have PTSD the rest of my life losing to La Salle in a de facto home game in the Sprint Center with a full compliment of players.

100% on the La Salle game, just an utterly terribly showing, and I can't remember who was in that next round but they probably would've rolled them too, it would've been nice to at least gotten a S16 outta that tourny.

Edit: was Ole Miss, who then went on to lose to eventual F4 team Wichita State, which either of those outcomes I'd been fine with
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 03:29:25 PM by cfbandyman »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2022, 06:03:29 PM »
If that’s the worst mistake it’s pretty meh because good seeds lose all the time.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2022, 06:12:49 PM »
Like going to the e8 mooooooooore than makes up for it. Especially without our unicorn once-in-a-generation job-saving NBA center

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2022, 06:55:34 PM »
Context matters and like I said, he spent the next 5 seasons not doing anything, other than a first four win that was any reason to be happy about, and as been documented ad nauseam, for some the first four win wasn't reason to be happy either. I totally understand why some nerve bought in, what I don't get is the need after the fact to relegislate, the accomplishments he had.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2022, 06:56:24 PM »
I think his worst mistake was sucking balls the last three seasons

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
I think his worst mistake was sucking balls the last three seasons
I'd concur with this. Also seemed like the refs who never really had much respect for oscar anyways just completely ignored him this last season.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2022, 10:55:11 AM »
I'm no Massa Seff fan, but I couldn't imagine Seff doing the whining and making the excuses that Oscar had in that Zoom.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2022, 11:48:38 AM »
I'm no Massa Seff fan, but I couldn't imagine Seff doing the whining and making the excuses that Oscar had in that Zoom.

The worst part is that there's still K-State fans out there who think Oscar is a great guy.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2022, 12:08:05 PM »

The worst part is that there's still K-State fans out there who think Oscar is a great guy.

even after he told them to their faces he hates them

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »
oscar did master the art of making an ass of himself during his tenure.