Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 33473 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2022, 10:36:33 PM »
I don't doubt his knowledge of NIL at all, in fact I use opendorse quite a bit when talking about NIL, I sites it on the football board just yesterday. What I find dubious or misleading is that NIL deals are north of $2 million. Sure there are some, like a very small few of them but the overwhelming majority of NIL deals aren't anywhere close to that, source, Blake's own website.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2022, 11:25:08 AM »
I think you misread the quote.  He said $2 million deals are rare, but $200,000 deals aren't.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »
I think you misread the quote.  He said $2 million deals are rare, but $200,000 deals aren't.

Yeah, 100% my fault, I shouldn't have said he's lying. This is a mix of me misreading the quote, adding intent that he may have not meant, and me not being articulate enough.

I do think that $200,000 is wild, not in the sense that they don't exist, they clearly do, but most NIL deals aren't anything close to $200,000, although there are plenty that are. My response is due more to what I think NIL alarmists can do with that quote and less about what he actually said.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2022, 05:39:32 PM »
Two different collectives now, nice! For this one from Sisco to not be affiliated with the university, they are sure using quite a bit of trademarked imagery. I'll take it!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2022, 09:48:38 PM »
hopefully, the NCAA drops the booster rule.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »
hopefully, the NCAA drops the booster rule.

What are you talking about, katpappy? You keep bringing this up. You know that alumni can sign players to NIL deals, right?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2022, 06:42:16 AM »
I just read the other day that the NCAA still has the rule about alumni not being allowed to recruit athletes for their school.  How they will enforce it is a question that needs to be answered.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2022, 08:14:22 AM »
I just read the other day that the NCAA still has the rule about alumni not being allowed to recruit athletes for their school.  How they will enforce it is a question that needs to be answered.

The NCAA?  Rarely and selectively, I'm sure

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2022, 10:03:59 AM »

As it relates to NIL, they won't be able to, in a lot of cases. It's important to note that NIL, is also illegal to use as a recruiting tool. So what this means is that a school can't be explicit with "if you sign here we will give you a $100,000 deal with Briggs Auto," a quid pro quo. The problem for the NCAA is that 28 states have already passed NIL legislation, many of those NIL laws allow the schools to go much further than their rules do. By the way, the only states with P5 schools without NIL legislation are Washington, Utah, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, New York, and Virginia, so they really can't enforce something that's allowed at some member schools but not at others. I mean they could but they'd get sued and would definitely lose.

The issue the NCAA has is that they definitely need to address the issue of alumni participating in recruiting, because if there aren't guardrails, schools and alumni will definitely go too far. The problem for them is that these state laws have made it difficult for this to ever happen.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2022, 05:57:04 PM »
I agree and it would be nice if the NCAA got away from enforcing outdated rules and admit they don't have much control with the government involved.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 16, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »
Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2022, 09:33:28 PM »
Seems kind those are the wrong guys to get all that cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2022, 07:40:32 AM »
All this NIL window dressing by KSU is horse crap until we see recruits coveted by other Power 5 programs showing up on campus. 

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »
@mikec2w

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2022, 10:10:00 PM »
Seems kind those are the wrong guys to get all that cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting walkons is the wrong intent for NIL.  This money should be locked on 5 stars or high-level types.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2022, 10:36:29 PM »
I think paying walk on tuitions is the right place to start. There will be plenty to go around.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2022, 11:04:06 PM »
Paying walk ons will be how the big programs skirt scholarship limits.  Maybe we will too and get kids who would normally balk at a walk on role to stick around instead of going FCS.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2022, 11:01:46 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2022, 08:09:18 AM »
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2022/4/20/k-state-athletics-announces-academic-incentive-award-program.aspx

About rough ridin' time. Had to get Myers outta rough ridin' here and to get bullied by ESPN to do some crap we should have been doing years ago.

The NCAA started allowing this 2 years ago and the Supreme Court ruling was last year. We got exposed, that's why this is being announced now. We didn't announce details of what we're doing, hopefully won't be the bullshit that flood aggie is doing.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33684066/only-21-130-ncaa-fbs-level-schools-say-plans-provide-allowed-academic-bonus-payments-athletes-year

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2022/4/20/k-state-athletics-announces-academic-incentive-award-program.aspx

About rough ridin' time. Had to get Myers outta rough ridin' here and to get bullied by ESPN to do some crap we should have been doing years ago.

The NCAA started allowing this 2 years ago and the Supreme Court ruling was last year. We got exposed, that's why this is being announced now. We didn't announce details of what we're doing, hopefully won't be the bullshit that flood aggie is doing.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33684066/only-21-130-ncaa-fbs-level-schools-say-plans-provide-allowed-academic-bonus-payments-athletes-year

These details or are you looking for something more?

Scholarship student-athletes who earn all individual APR points will be awarded 25 percent of the permissible award amount based on his/her individual scholarship equivalency on a semester-by-semester basis. The remainder of the permissible award will be held for the student-athlete as an incentive to graduate with their first baccalaureate degree within six (6) years of initial full-time enrollment.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »

What's Flood Aggie doing?