Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 33674 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2022, 01:30:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/MattRHinton/status/1483498980000641026

But I wasn’t into A&M. First, I didn’t like their uniforms. That was a big factor for me as an 18-year-old who wanted to look cool. Second, the student body was about two-thirds male. When I visited, it seemed like there were no girls, just a bunch of dudes from the school’s Corps of Cadets in military uniforms. They didn’t even have cheerleaders; they had male “yell leaders.” It just wasn’t what I was envisioning for my college experience.

IFUCKINGKNOWRITE!
Anybody that willingly chooses to go to a&m is a certified weirdo

With doughboy Jimbo running the show you know there's money involved.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2022, 01:47:51 PM »
The name, image, and likeness industry is still in its infancy, but after six months, early winners are emerging — and Ohio State athletes top the list.

Since July 1, 220 Ohio State athletes have procured a total of $2.98 million in NIL earnings with 608 reported activities, the school announced. All three stats rank first among departments using Opendorse’s platforms.

Now, the school is implementing a program that creates a new athletic department role that could help maintain its standing.

Ohio State’s NIL Edge Team will “assist in connecting and coordinating NIL activities,” senior associate athletic director Carey Hoyt said. The school will also assign operations directors for “virtually” all of the school’s 36 sports to connect athletes with brands.

If schools can help with NIL, they’ll have a better chance of satisfying current athletes as well as attracting potential recruits.

The NCAA prohibits explicit pay-for-play — or promising a deal based on what school an athlete attends.

Beyond that, the only restrictions are set by schools and state laws. The Buckeyes realized that Ohio’s executive order leaves them free to get creative.

The Buckeyes aren’t the only entity loosening restrictions. Alabama’s state legislature already voted to repeal its state law, giving both schools and athletes in the state more freedom.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2022, 02:55:10 PM »
I'm sure we also have an NIL Edge Team.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2022, 03:58:12 PM »
I’ve always been a viaka man.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2022, 04:15:07 PM »
wild turkey/matthew mcconaughey are not going to be pleased with this news

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2022, 05:13:38 PM »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2022, 05:43:29 PM »

There was a period in my life when I’d simply carry a 1.75 of Viaka or Barton’s and just pull straight from the bottle. I’m not proud of this.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2022, 05:56:39 PM »
If you want excellent bang for buck vodka, you get Sobieski. Just a friendly PSA.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2022, 11:23:41 AM »
Deep Eddy >>> Tito's

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2022, 11:26:32 AM »

There was a period in my life when I’d simply carry a 1.75 of Viaka or Barton’s and just pull straight from the bottle. I’m not proud of this.
In high school I drank it out of a straw once. I can only think of two other times I puked more.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »
USC maybe getting elite again is exciting and I’m here for it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2022, 05:27:08 PM »
who the hell owns the corn our graduates design and where’s their NIL money

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2022, 07:47:01 AM »
NIL is an exciting new time in college sports. The money being thrown around is amazing. 

It will be interesting to see how long it takes KSU to come around. I suspect it will take KSU longer than KU. KU does have the advantage of only needing to find a handful of sweet NIL deals for basketball each year.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »
Good article in The Athletic on NIL deal for a high school kids.  Relevant quotes for those too cheap to sign up.

https://theathletic.com/3178558/2022/03/11/five-star-recruit-in-class-of-2023-signs-agreement-with-collective-that-could-pay-him-more-than-8-million/?article_source=search&search_query=nil

On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”

Blake Lawrence, the founder of the NIL marketing platform Opendorse, said a deal that high seems like an outlier but added, “Whatever casual sports fans or coaches think student-athletes are earning from collectives, they’re (undershooting) by 10X. While $2 million (a year) is wild, $200,000 isn’t, but most people are thinking they’re getting $20,000.”

Lawyer Mike Caspino, who drafted the contract, allowed The Athletic to review and verify the contract in exchange for keeping the player and collectives’ identities anonymous. It provides a window into how donor-driven third parties tied to specific schools operate.

As per NCAA rules, the contract explicitly states, “nothing in this Agreement constitutes any form of inducement for (the athlete) to enroll at any school and/or join any athletic team.” There is no mention of any specific university, only that he be “enrolled at an NCAA member institution and a member of the football team at such institution,” ostensibly to avoid violating the NCAA’s pay-for-play rule. The only specific circumstances by which the collective could terminate the contract early is if the player violates a confidentiality clause or a clause about conducting himself with “the utmost character and integrity.”

Caspino, who says he has worked on deals like this with about 30 high school players, said the original terms were far more one-sided toward the collective. He decried some of the tactics those groups and NIL agents are using to maintain control over the athlete.

In one draft version of another deal The Athletic reviewed, the collective agreed to pay an athlete $1.5 million across two years but could “from time to time” ask for repayment of that money, plus a 10 percent commission and expenses — even if the agreement were to be terminated.

His concern is that most high school players are signing deals like these without running them by an attorney first.

Last month, the NCAA Board of Directors asked the Division I Council to prepare a report by April assessing the impact NIL is having in recruiting, among other issues.

“We are concerned that some activity in the name, image and likeness space may not only be violating NCAA recruiting rules, particularly those prohibiting booster involvement, but also may be impacting the student-athlete experience negatively in some ways,” said board chair Jere Morehead, the president at the University of Georgia.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2022, 03:18:07 PM »
Two things.
1. Blake Lawrence is absolutely, 100% lying about the prevalence of these large deals. He has all the motivation to make people believe that a lot of athletes are receiving 7 figure deals, and only someone working for a collective will push that narrative. It definitely happens, at this point, it's still rare.

2. Your second quote from Caspino has been my biggest concern with these deals and I mentioned it in particular with the Texas non for profit scheme. If I'm a parent I'm not having my kid sign any deal that doesn't have an explicit quid pro quo attached. "I give you $1,000,000 you shoot 5 commercials and allow me to use your image for 3 years in all print advertisement." Any deal that says we'll give you this but you have to do some undefined duty later, is poisonous. The new era for compliance departments is protecting the student athletes from shitty deals. K-State, at this point, looks like they're trying to get ahead of this.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2022, 04:00:41 PM »
Going to need to see a little more detail on that before I get too excited
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2022, 04:46:23 PM »
I'll always be in favor of cats helping cats
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2022, 01:02:24 AM »
Could be a booster violation with Sexton. :surprised:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2022, 10:20:25 AM »
That graphic tells me we are looking to relocate the state Capitol to the agronomy lot and I admire the zeal

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2022, 11:53:26 AM »
That graphic tells me we are looking to relocate the state Capitol to the agronomy lot and I admire the zeal

We all know Manhattan has been the unofficial capital of Kansas forever, time to make it official!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2022, 08:04:38 PM »
Two things.
1. Blake Lawrence is absolutely, 100% lying about the prevalence of these large deals. He has all the motivation to make people believe that a lot of athletes are receiving 7 figure deals, and only someone working for a collective will push that narrative. It definitely happens, at this point, it's still rare.

2. Your second quote from Caspino has been my biggest concern with these deals and I mentioned it in particular with the Texas non for profit scheme. If I'm a parent I'm not having my kid sign any deal that doesn't have an explicit quid pro quo attached. "I give you $1,000,000 you shoot 5 commercials and allow me to use your image for 3 years in all print advertisement." Any deal that says we'll give you this but you have to do some undefined duty later, is poisonous. The new era for compliance departments is protecting the student athletes from shitty deals. K-State, at this point, looks like they're trying to get ahead of this.

Fun Fact. Blake Lawrence was 2 years younger then me in HS. He's pretty smart and has been all over the sports/social media since before it was a thing (He started his company in 2013 to automate the sending of endorsement tweets for athletes). He is probably one of the most credible people when it comes to understanding how NIL will work.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »
Fun Story

Blake subbed in as QB at a 7v7 tournament when the regular starter was hurt. He was a couple of years younger so when the captain started giggling and changed the play from XYZ to "Hook & Ladder Left, hit ben ji on the curl then he'll pitch it to me" he had no choice but to go along.

The play failed horribly of course and he ended up getting chewed out by the coach for not running the play that was called.  :ROFL: