Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32658 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »
As long as pole vaulters are on scholarship, we cannot pay football and basketball players the exorbitant amounts that we'd like.  We gotta get rid of the scholarship minimums before we can open this highly desirable can of worms.

Are you going to get rid of the federal title IX law as well?

No.  Besides, that would be very difficult if not impossible to do.  Getting rid of the minimum scholarship count requirement is comparatively easy.  We'll always have equal men's and women's scholarships. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
Giving athletic scholarships for non-revenue sports, or in addition the minimum required to satisfy title 9 is a waste of money.  Give that same money to students in the form of needs based scholarships, including the money spent on the equipment and support service required for those non-revenue/non-title 9 sports. In the end, more kids get more scholarships.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »
If this isn't a Cold War level arms race, everyone is doing it wrong.
Yea, and we should be working every gray area and loophole that exists.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »
Who will be the first goEMAW recruit?
:adios:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2021, 10:02:57 PM »
I know the vast majority of our fanbase doesn't care, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with elite talent in non-revenue sports. For example, under the new status quo, a guy like Erik Kynard probably gets some $$$ because he was the No. 1 high jumper in the country and lots of schools wanted him. Can/will K-State be able to compete for elite athletes in the non-revenue sports? Probably not, but I'm curious to see how we approach it (and how mean gene probably messes it up).

So many people get this discussion wrong, the way this is framed is absolutely not what the reality of athlete compensation is. This board sounds exactly like the olds on KSO/GPC.

First of all everyone needs to stop talking about what K-State or Gene will pay football players, basketball players, track athletes, rowers, whoever. I'm going to shout this in hopes everyone hears it.
THERE IS NO CURRENT MODEL BEING DISCUSSED THAT ENTAILS ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS PAYING STUDENT ATHLETES OUTSIDE OF WHAT AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT WILL MAKE FROM INDIVIDUAL ATHLETES APPAREL SALES. PERIOD.

We're not talking about Baylor and K-State in a bidding war for a four star running back from Round Rock. The current changes in laws and policy are simply allowing student athletes to participate in the same free market that everyone else is in. This has nothing to do with Gene, or any coach, scholarship limits, minimum varsity teams, none of that.

NCAA v. Alston, NIL legislation, neither of those make student athletes employees, there's no bidding or payroll involved here.

The biggest frustration about K-State fans in particular gnashing our teeth about this is that the reform that allows athletic departments to put cash in student athletes pockets has already happened. Remember the cost of living payments? When we instituted those K-State gave out the highest disbursement per player in the conference and were top 5 nationwide. I don't know where we are now because that hasn't been reported since after the second year it was instituted.

Intentional or not but misframing NIL and the Alston ruling gives fuel to the olds who are bent because they think this means athletic departments will be out there bidding for the services of poor black kids, then it's all like "what about me" or "what about my kid."

I don't disagree with what you've shared on it's face. But, the reality is that the savvy/forward-thinking athletic departments will be able to "connect" student-athletes with organizations that will then pay them in the form of endorsements, etc. That could be any number of things - from being an "influencer" on social media (product endorsement, etc.) to appearances in advertising, etc. Frankly, I think it's a bit obtuse to take the view that athletic departments won't play a crucial role (particularly in those states where legislation is set to take effect). It may not be the athletic department directly paying the athletes. But, I would be absolutely shocked if they don't serve as a facilitator in many instances. And, those that can't/won't/refuse to play that game are likely to be left behind.

This is exactly what's going to happen. To believe that places like Miami or A&M for example, who have already had boosters take recruits out to strip clubs and bought them cars, won't create organizations to pay top players and recruits, is simply being blind to the college landscape of today. You're about to see certain college athletic programs never fall from grace again because they'll simply be able to buy the players they need to get into the 8-12 team playoff every year.

Hell, even if it were to only work like MIR claims, what's to stop a wealthy booster from purchasing (for example), enough t-shirts/jersey's from a department to generate $10k for a player, donate the shirts to charity as a tax write off, and then go out for a drink as the AD hands the kid a check while saying "If you don't transfer, these checks will keep coming"?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 10:31:32 PM »
I know the vast majority of our fanbase doesn't care, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with elite talent in non-revenue sports. For example, under the new status quo, a guy like Erik Kynard probably gets some $$$ because he was the No. 1 high jumper in the country and lots of schools wanted him. Can/will K-State be able to compete for elite athletes in the non-revenue sports? Probably not, but I'm curious to see how we approach it (and how mean gene probably messes it up).

So many people get this discussion wrong, the way this is framed is absolutely not what the reality of athlete compensation is. This board sounds exactly like the olds on KSO/GPC.

First of all everyone needs to stop talking about what K-State or Gene will pay football players, basketball players, track athletes, rowers, whoever. I'm going to shout this in hopes everyone hears it.
THERE IS NO CURRENT MODEL BEING DISCUSSED THAT ENTAILS ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS PAYING STUDENT ATHLETES OUTSIDE OF WHAT AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT WILL MAKE FROM INDIVIDUAL ATHLETES APPAREL SALES. PERIOD.

We're not talking about Baylor and K-State in a bidding war for a four star running back from Round Rock. The current changes in laws and policy are simply allowing student athletes to participate in the same free market that everyone else is in. This has nothing to do with Gene, or any coach, scholarship limits, minimum varsity teams, none of that.

NCAA v. Alston, NIL legislation, neither of those make student athletes employees, there's no bidding or payroll involved here.

The biggest frustration about K-State fans in particular gnashing our teeth about this is that the reform that allows athletic departments to put cash in student athletes pockets has already happened. Remember the cost of living payments? When we instituted those K-State gave out the highest disbursement per player in the conference and were top 5 nationwide. I don't know where we are now because that hasn't been reported since after the second year it was instituted.

Intentional or not but misframing NIL and the Alston ruling gives fuel to the olds who are bent because they think this means athletic departments will be out there bidding for the services of poor black kids, then it's all like "what about me" or "what about my kid."

I don't disagree with what you've shared on it's face. But, the reality is that the savvy/forward-thinking athletic departments will be able to "connect" student-athletes with organizations that will then pay them in the form of endorsements, etc. That could be any number of things - from being an "influencer" on social media (product endorsement, etc.) to appearances in advertising, etc. Frankly, I think it's a bit obtuse to take the view that athletic departments won't play a crucial role (particularly in those states where legislation is set to take effect). It may not be the athletic department directly paying the athletes. But, I would be absolutely shocked if they don't serve as a facilitator in many instances. And, those that can't/won't/refuse to play that game are likely to be left behind.

This is exactly what's going to happen. To believe that places like Miami or A&M for example, who have already had boosters take recruits out to strip clubs and bought them cars, won't create organizations to pay top players and recruits, is simply being blind to the college landscape of today. You're about to see certain college athletic programs never fall from grace again because they'll simply be able to buy the players they need to get into the 8-12 team playoff every year.

Hell, even if it were to only work like MIR claims, what's to stop a wealthy booster from purchasing (for example), enough t-shirts/jersey's from a department to generate $10k for a player, donate the shirts to charity as a tax write off, and then go out for a drink as the AD hands the kid a check while saying "If you don't transfer, these checks will keep coming"?

In this insanely unlikely scenario, I'd say, who cares it's the market speaking so we'll done for the athlete. In this scenario of everybody will cheat and football players will be up for the highest bidder, why isn't it happening now with cost of living payments?

You really don't think someone is going to buy $500,000 dollars worth of some college football player's jersey and t-shirt do you? That's absurd, why wouldn't this person just hire the athlete for a gig?

This crazy hypocritical notwithstanding it still isn't universities spending money on this. The point, PurpleOil, is that NIL won't have any negative effect on the bottom line of athletic departments.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »

In this insanely unlikely scenario, I'd say, who cares it's the market speaking so we'll done for the athlete. In this scenario of everybody will cheat and football players will be up for the highest bidder, why isn't it happening now with cost of living payments?

You really don't think someone is going to buy $500,000 dollars worth of some college football player's jersey and t-shirt do you? That's absurd, why wouldn't this person just hire the athlete for a gig?

This crazy hypocritical notwithstanding it still isn't universities spending money on this. The point, PurpleOil, is that NIL won't have any negative effect on the bottom line of athletic departments.

I've watched our own alumni spend several grand on a buffalo dick cane (yep, that's a thing) just to give money to the football team. So no, it's not a stretch at all to believe that boosters and the university will now collaborate to find new 'legal' methods to funnel money to top recruits and players.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 10:35:18 AM »

Athletic departments do not set the cost of attendance stipends.  It is set by financial aid offices and affects the entire student body at a university.  It is part of the determination of how much in loans students can take out.  I imagine the federal government would have something to say if there were extremely high cost of attendance amounts being set.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 04:21:41 PM »

I've watched our own alumni spend several grand on a buffalo dick cane (yep, that's a thing) just to give money to the football team. So no, it's not a stretch at all to believe that boosters and the university will now collaborate to find new 'legal' methods to funnel money to top recruits and players.

Are you really not going to ignore the difference between making a tax deductible donation to an athletic department to someone using the athletic department to in your words, funnel money to players?

You keep ignoring that a businessman doesn't need the athletic department to illegally pay a player anymore, they can just do it themselves and it's perfectly legal and they can and will contract the athlete. Bringing in the athletic department is the only thing in your fantasy scenario that makes the transaction illegal. It won't happen because it doesn't need to

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »
@Justwin good to know thanks. Do you have any explanation as to how a university with a miniscule cost of living had, at least initially, such a large stipend?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:39 PM »
A buffalo dick cane, huh? Our rich alumni must do some really weird crap behind closed doors.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
So who is the richest K-State booster that can start giving out 100k internships? We need someone who owns their own business so that HR cant block them.

Now that Carl Ice has retired from BNSF maybe he starts "ICE Consulting" and brings some athletes on board each summer to glad hand with railroad execs?

How many athletes can Garth's bull farm support?

I'm sure gE could put together 10k a year to hire a some lower level starter as an Admin? :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »
BTW we'll be able to put the power of NIL to the test right away. Jaren Kanak's value here is significantly higher than it will be at Clemson, Alabama, or anywhere else. This doesn't mean he'll pick K-State but we have a pretty clear advantage here.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
A buffalo dick cane, huh? Our rich alumni must do some really weird crap behind closed doors.

Fun stuff goes down at the Scott City nut fry. That I can vouch for!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2021, 08:34:16 AM »
Good follow for the NIL stuff.

https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/1408774466554023946?s=19

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
Good follow for the NIL stuff.

https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/1408774466554023946?s=19

She's not referring to NIL, she's referring to schools paying players and I could not disagree with her more. She's ignoring the fact that this has always been an option for athletes in all sports other than football. She's also under the assumption that all three of those leagues are long term solutions for players, they're not, and she's forgetting that the best pro pathway for NBA players is still big time college basketball. This year, depending at what mock you look at there are only 5 projected first rounders who didn't play college basketball, of those 5 only 1 is an American who chose not to play college basketball.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2021, 08:56:22 AM »
She is referring to the nil ruling. She's just five steps ahead. Read her timeline.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2021, 09:06:47 AM »
She is referring to the nil ruling. She's just five steps ahead. Read her timeline.

Am I missing something here?
https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/1408773396247220234

I can't emphasize this enough, NIL is great for student athletes, turning college athletics into a minor league is awful for almost all college athletes it will deemphasize education and literally 98% of these dudes are going pro in something other than sports.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2021, 07:43:20 AM »

If I were marketing that cane, it would be the Buffalo Billdo.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »

If I were marketing that cane, it would be the Buffalo Billdo.

:D

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2021, 01:10:18 PM »
@Justwin good to know thanks. Do you have any explanation as to how a university with a miniscule cost of living had, at least initially, such a large stipend?

I don't have a specific explanation for that and those cost of living amounts were being set long before the NCAA started allowing the stipends.  It includes things like traveling to and from school from home and just all living expenses.

I did notice the seemingly unexplainable disparities between schools in the cost of living amounts.  I've wondered if a a study could be done to show that schools that had low cost of living amounts increased their allowances faster than schools with high amounts.  This would presumably be from pressure from the athletic departments.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2021, 06:19:27 AM »
NIL is survival for the NCAA.

They could take a hard line stance relative to student-athletes (a label they cooked up to win a lawsuit decades ago)  and ask the NBA to drop the 1 year rule and attempt to drag the NFL kicking and screaming into their own academy/development league.   They could wrap themselves in the flag of the student-athlete and declare them's the rules and if you don't like it go to the development/GLeauge/academy/International.   But that waters down the NCAA product (even though they don't get much from football, which if you think about it, is just the weirdest arrangement ever) and upsets the gravy train that is ultimately controlled by the UP's . . . and it hurts a bunch of athletes who have way-to-inflated opinions of their overall abilities.  Found out quickly once it's a job with a paycheck on the line.

The worst part is, the NCAA has had nearly 40 years since OU Regents vs NCAA to prepare for this eventuality, and their preparation over most of that period was ever more draconian rules.  While countless AD's and coaches at least at the P5 level stuffed millions of dollars into their own pocket and UP's charged $1500 bottles of wine and private jet flights off on their athletic department. 

This ultimately culminated in lawsuits and threatened legislative action relative to NIL and a total beatdown in the SCOTUS relative to FCoA/full rights and privilege's. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2021, 08:30:02 AM »
I don't think watering down the product really harms college athletics all that much. The universities draw more eyes than the athletes.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »
Are there any Kansas State players that have announced any partnerships so far?