Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32659 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
I expect to see every member of the Jayhawks basketball team sign a NIL deal with this company shortly, if it's not already done.

http://firstconstructionllc.com/about.html

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2021, 03:53:33 PM »
I expect to see every member of the Jayhawks basketball team sign a NIL deal with this company shortly, if it's not already done.

http://firstconstructionllc.com/about.html

That would be a pretty poor ROI. Makes sense for football players to endorse a MMA gym. Not sure people spending money on commercial construction will be swayed to spend 7 or 8 figures from a Mitch Lightfoot tweet. Doug Compton is getting full value from whatever arrangement he already has with Kansas Athletics.

I really think this will be an opportunity more for businesses that already don't have preexisting business relationships with these schools athletic departments and that's what we've seen almost exclusively early. Doug Compton gives his 6 or 7 figures annually to KU and he gets all of the access to the athletes, coaches, and facilities he wants. Giving that money straight to the players means he would have to shell out more money to keep the access, what's the benefit to that?

NIL isn't really for Doug Compton, Carl Ice, Melvin Weatherwax, T. Boone (rip); it's for people like the guy owning the MMA Gym, like the owner of Braum's, or the  marketing department at Little Apple Toyota. Even though this type of revenue won't make up most of the money most student-athletes will make. Small to medium businesses will realize real fast that college sports fans don't see the players as much more than laundry hangers with legs. These athletes, for the most part, won't change purchasing habits or drive foot traffic to brick and mortar businesses and the ROY for these businesses won't be worth it. Initially, it will be hilarious who will jut light money on fire for clout though.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »
I think you are entirely missing the point.  They don't give a crap about ROI, unless you are talking about wins.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2021, 08:37:42 AM »
“Ksu cat running back deuce vaughn here. When I’m not scoring touchdowns on the field, I love cruising for chicks in my new Dodge Challenger. And with Briggs auto dot com easy pay financing you can too. So come on down and get your pussy wagon today. Tell em deuce sent ya.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
The KSU football program probably already has someone doing this ( :pray:), but they need to be going to every big donor and asking them to pay $X per month to every player to sponsor their products, which would require the player to tweet about the product like once a month, or do something like show up and watch an oil well go up an down once a month.  This, of course, will result is almost zero real economic benefit for the people/organizations paying the sponsorship fees.  There is no reasonable pitch for an economic ROI. 

We need to get the "base pay" for every KSU football player to a level where we can go on the recruiting trail and say every single one of our players makes at least $X a month on sponsorship deals. That's where this is all going. Miami is leading the way, but the SEC, USC, etc will be close behind them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2021, 06:00:16 PM »
YOU LOVE TO SEE IT!

https://twitter.com/skylar7thompson/status/1413240226412056576
When does the first church step up and employ skyler?

#skyler 3:16(?)
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2021, 07:36:51 PM »
The KSU football program probably already has someone doing this ( :pray:), but they need to be going to every big donor and asking them to pay $X per month to every player to sponsor their products, which would require the player to tweet about the product like once a month, or do something like show up and watch an oil well go up an down once a month.  This, of course, will result is almost zero real economic benefit for the people/organizations paying the sponsorship fees.  There is no reasonable pitch for an economic ROI. 

We need to get the "base pay" for every KSU football player to a level where we can go on the recruiting trail and say every single one of our players makes at least $X a month on sponsorship deals. That's where this is all going. Miami is leading the way, but the SEC, USC, etc will be close behind them.

We have no chance in that arms race.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2021, 08:42:06 PM »
I think you guys overestimate how many houses need painted in whatever backwoods Alabama town the University of Alabama is in.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 08:43:30 PM »
Manhattan's looking pretty rough ridin' incred when you A) get the same house painting money and B) don't have to live in AL/MS/Etc.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2021, 09:39:17 PM »
Thank you for your support, college works painting
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2021, 10:27:39 PM »

It's also very illegal and not at all what's happening at Miami

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2021, 07:07:44 AM »
The players in Miami are rough ridin' tweeting about the gym, then getting paid.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2021, 07:28:04 AM »

It's also very illegal and not at all what's happening at Miami

I forgot that nothing illegal or sketchy ever happens in Miami, and it certainly never happens with the football program.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
The players in Miami are rough ridin' tweeting about the gym, then getting paid.

In theory it wasn't arranged by the athletic department, that's the illegal part. Could it have been, sure, but if the Kansas State athletic department are asking donors to give players money, they are definitely going to get caught.

K-State nor any other athletic department are doing that though. Why would they incentivize either current partners or potential partners to give money to 19 year old kids instead of to the department?

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »
This seems like one of those things that could be "arranged" by the athletic department without being officially arranged by the athletic department extraodinarily easily.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2021, 03:53:59 PM »
K-State nor any other athletic department are doing that though. Why would they incentivize either current partners or potential partners to give money to 19 year old kids instead of to the department?

It would be smart to encourage both, but even just giving money to players naturally and eventually boosts money going to the school.  If fans/donors were paying players in a way that made it much more attractive to recruits to go to a team, that team would be good and popular and make it where fans/donors pay the school more for sponsorship, tickets, etc.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2021, 04:04:47 PM »
I'd be telling four star recruits, "look, you can go sit on the bench in obscurity at a place like Texas. Or you can be on the field making a name for yourself and signing endoresement deals at K-State. Seems like a no brainer to me!"

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2021, 04:09:38 PM »
This seems like one of those things that could be "arranged" by the athletic department without being officially arranged by the athletic department extraodinarily easily.

Certainly
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2021, 05:35:42 PM »

Sure, but what's the motivation for that. This is a high risk, low reward proposition.

It would be smart to encourage both, but even just giving money to players naturally and eventually boosts money going to the school.  If fans/donors were paying players in a way that made it much more attractive to recruits to go to a team, that team would be good and popular and make it where fans/donors pay the school more for sponsorship, tickets, etc.

In what scenario in your head could this happen? Who is the school that is going to become appreciably better simply by finding a way to get their players excessive NIL payments? How does this even work? Corvallis gonna become the place to be by offering marketing contracts to student athletes that no one else are offering money to?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »
This rogue NIL landscape some of you are painting is very GPC'y.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2021, 06:14:13 PM »

In what scenario in your head could this happen? Who is the school that is going to become appreciably better simply by finding a way to get their players excessive NIL payments? How does this even work? Corvallis gonna become the place to be by offering marketing contracts to student athletes that no one else are offering money to?

Whoever does it first/most.  Miami?  I certainly don’t have a cost analysis at my desk here; my point is that it’s not illogical for a school to want money going from supporters to players, whether that’s to get ahead or keep pace.

I’m the one who said we should’ve hired Saban or Dabo at $30m/year and make money off of whipping ass at football.