Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32846 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2021, 10:57:47 AM »
You didn't honestly believe K-State would be a pioneer on the NIL frontier now did you?

Most of our alumni believe that we should only recruit kids who want to play football and get a degree the old fashion way. Then, maybe their senior year we'll give them a jersey deal, you know, if the season is going well. Gene and his stance is nothing more than a reflection of this.

We'll get smoked for a few years on this front, and then when the mouth breathers have finally realized that college football is just a minor league for the NFL, we'll finally start trying to compete.

No, I didn't expect K-State to be a pioneer on NIL. I don't even know if that's a thing that exists. What I did expect is that the athletic director didn't sound regressive every time he opens his mouth up about the subject.

K-State's fan bases view on college athletes and college athletics isn't any different than any other school. In fact reading other message boards, our online presence tends to skew a very slight bit more progressive on student athlete issues than certainly SEC schools and most big 12 schools.

Any athletic director can hide their regressive views behind fans if they want to, but only Gene and Vince Tyra have made quotes that seem as if they aren't fully embracing this. Most other athletic directors have the good sense to just stfu.

Despite gene's whining, I don't think us or anyone else will "get smoked" on NIL. Like with implementation of the cost of living checks, I think fans will and are freaking out about this but the overall impact on the sport won't be anywhere close to what people think it is.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2021, 12:38:21 PM »
Pound the Stone; Don't Cross the Line

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2021, 06:39:40 PM »
This is a great incentive for gE.  Grab a few emaw players and interview them for some pocket cash.  With all the fees and spare cash in your vault, mods could pay a nice fee and see a lot of pocket cash.  :thumbsup:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2021, 08:09:18 PM »
TexAgs lol of course they'd do something that stupid.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
I sure in hell hope every school is doing that, all the way down to D3.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
:adios:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2021, 09:28:10 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2021, 09:36:06 AM »
I don't understand that at all. I'm so happy these athletes are starting to get something, but from a business perspective that makes zero sense at all. That deal isn't keeping Rattler at OU and no one is buying a $40,000 vehicle because Spencer Rattler had one given to him.

I guess I underestimated the need for some people to be close to 20 year old football players.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »
I don't understand that at all. I'm so happy these athletes are starting to get something, but from a business perspective that makes zero sense at all. That deal isn't keeping Rattler at OU and no one is buying a $40,000 vehicle because Spencer Rattler had one given to him.

I guess I underestimated the need for some people to be close to 20 year old football players.

I think you’re grossly overestimating the business acumen of an Oklahoma car dealership owner.

They’re not doing it because it helps their business, they’re doing it because it gives them a little bit of access to OU football and so they can brag to their friends.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »

Just spitballing here, but my guess is that it has less to do with “oh I wanna drive what Spencer rattler is driving!” And more along the lines of “I am in the market for a new car, and I’m also a big fan of ou football and I know that Fowler auto is shelling out a lot of boondoggles to attract top talent to play football at ou and like I said I’m a huge fan so I’ll probably buy a car from Fowler in the hopes that they will continue to use some of that money to entice talented athletes to come to ou”

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
BAC is right on plus they probably will mke more money when these signed Rattler vehicles after writing them off as advertising

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »
That deal isn't keeping Rattler at OU and no one is buying a $40,000 vehicle because Spencer Rattler had one given to him.

It's possibly less about Rattler and more about the next guy, and the next guy.  Establishing a precedent of such perks has to be a solid recruiting tool.

kono

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »

He doesn’t get those vehicles though (not saying you are saying he does btw). He gets to drive them. Local radio personalities, college and nfl coaches, etc have been getting to drive demo vehicles in exchange for their work forever. It’s not much of an expense to the dealer. They will turn around and sell that thing at close to new value as a demo vehicle.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:25:16 PM by steve dave »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »

He doesn’t get those vehicles though (not saying you are saying he does btw). He gets to drive them. Local radio personalities, college and nfl coaches, etc have been getting to drive demo vehicles in exchange for their work forever. It’s not much of an expense to the dealer. They will turn around and sell that thing at close to new value as a demo vehicle.

Good points :thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »
the last thing a kid his age needs to be driving is a charger scat pack wide body.  those things are a million times easier to wrap around a tree than they are to drive. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2021, 06:44:14 PM »
Briggs needs to step the eff up
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
the last thing a kid his age needs to be driving is a charger scat pack wide body.  those things are a million times easier to wrap around a tree than they are to drive.
  :cyclist:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2021, 08:09:33 PM »
wildcat creek should offer free carts

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2021, 08:18:34 PM »
Free fries from Vista! STEP THE eff UP, VISTA!!!

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2021, 09:22:00 PM »
Free fries from Vista! STEP THE eff UP, VISTA!!!
Do they still sell the box o' fries?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »
This is all going to make the Mustang very uncomfortable.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2021, 10:03:56 PM »
This is all going to make the Mustang very uncomfortable.

Well if so hopefully he doesn't feel the need to call up the media, again, to vent about it.