Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 33759 times)

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »
impossible to fully quantify but would be interested to know if the dollar amounts changing hands has even changed

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2021, 12:11:20 PM »
impossible to fully quantify but would be interested to know if the dollar amounts changing hands has even changed

Not impossible to qualify, the answer is yes, a lot more athletes are getting money. My frustration on NIL conversations are they are almost always extremely narrow in scope and it's what football and men's basketball players are getting large sums of money. That's not even the point of NIL. There were so many ridiculous restrictions on ways these athletes can get money that are no longer there. It's not really about someone handing someone else the mythical bag of cash but it's about athletes having the ability to cultivate their own brands from doing anything from television ads to now being able to tutor and give sports lessons.

Everybody can eat now if they want to, all of this money is just sitting there. If Deuce decided to run his own boot camp this summer he'd absolutely clean up.

Offline PhoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2021, 12:31:31 PM »
Everybody can eat now if they want to, all of this money is just sitting there. If Deuce decided to run his own boot camp this summer he'd absolutely clean up.

I can see it now.  Deuce Vaughn and Daniel Green run their own camp.  They call it the "Double Deuce." 

If only Patrick Swayze were still alive, he could show up for a day and show some super secret special moves.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2021, 12:32:06 PM »

Not impossible to qualify, the answer is yes, a lot more athletes are getting money. My frustration on NIL conversations are they are almost always extremely narrow in scope and it's what football and men's basketball players are getting large sums of money. That's not even the point of NIL. There were so many ridiculous restrictions on ways these athletes can get money that are no longer there. It's not really about someone handing someone else the mythical bag of cash but it's about athletes having the ability to cultivate their own brands from doing anything from television ads to now being able to tutor and give sports lessons.

Learn how to Texas Deuce-Step, or How to Drop a Deuce on the Defense with Deuce Vaughn
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »

That's all true.  But also true is that any rich superfan who's way too into college football or basketball can effectively pay players to play for the school.  There's no business sense or cost-benefit analysis happening in those scenarios, just Happy from Blue Chips wanting to spend his money on Western whipping ass at hoops and feeling like a big shot in making it happen.  Maybe that big shot status peripherally translates into some financial gain by common fans then supporting that person's business, but I don't think that's a driving consideration.

So we'll see if there's that many weirdos out there into college sports that they will make such large payments in exchange for whatever satisfaction that brings them.  I know you don't think that will happen much because you wouldn't throw your money at something like that that offers no/little financial return to you or a business you own, but there are definitely people who will and find it more productive/satisfying than paying the school to put their name on a jumbotron.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2021, 02:26:16 PM »
It's not really any different than a large donor contributing to buy out a coach.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »
My favorite quote from Kiffin was you can’t sign them to a contract lol
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2021, 02:33:27 PM »
It's not really any different than a large donor contributing to buy out a coach.

They get stuff for that though - whatever rewards come from absurd donations to the respective versions of Ahearn Fund, getting crap named after them, etc.  Here, the school is ostensibly cut out of that so there isn't that certain tangible reward for giving money to a kid.  Of course, it'll be good if there's informal coordination that connects players and donor fans that help make it a win-win-win for all.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »

That's all true.  But also true is that any rich superfan who's way too into college football or basketball can effectively pay players to play for the school.  There's no business sense or cost-benefit analysis happening in those scenarios, just Happy from Blue Chips wanting to spend his money on Western whipping ass at hoops and feeling like a big shot in making it happen.  Maybe that big shot status peripherally translates into some financial gain by common fans then supporting that person's business, but I don't think that's a driving consideration.

So we'll see if there's that many weirdos out there into college sports that they will make such large payments in exchange for whatever satisfaction that brings them.  I know you don't think that will happen much because you wouldn't throw your money at something like that that offers no/little financial return to you or a business you own, but there are definitely people who will and find it more productive/satisfying than paying the school to put their name on a jumbotron.
Like that guy from Miami a few years ago, right?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »

Like that guy from Miami a few years ago, right?

Yeah and it earned them the 63rd ranked recruiting class

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2021, 07:43:31 PM »

They were already doing it, we just didn’t see it.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2021, 07:43:20 AM »
If the richest fans care enough, it's a golden opportunity to raise Kstate's profile as a football program.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2021, 08:14:46 AM »
No it isn't.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2021, 08:28:01 AM »
When are Carl and Mary Ice gonna start gifting duffle bags full of money is my question in all of this.

Better question, when is goEMAW going to start using the piles of cash they have to get us a Natty?

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »
The fact Carl Ice loves Oscar Weber and Gene Taylor indicates he is not going to play the give guys money game and is content on being baad to average in sports.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »
The fact Carl Ice loves Oscar Weber and Gene Taylor indicates he is not going to play the give guys money game and is content on being baad to average in sports.

lol

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »
No it isn't.
I want you to be clear here, so you do not think we could increase our recruiting progress and wins if we paid recruits a eff ton of cash?

Because I think both would be better in that scenario. And I'm right about that.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2021, 10:04:16 AM »
No it isn't.
I want you to be clear here, so you do not think we could increase our recruiting progress and wins if we paid recruits a eff ton of cash?

Because I think both would be better in that scenario. And I'm right about that.

I don't think it would hurt but with the first NIL class nearly completely in the books, it doesn't appear as if NIL has been a difference maker at all for anyone. The two most high profile NIL team deals were for Miami and BYU and neither of them had even what would be construed as good classes.

Globally, I do think it's somewhat insulting that all of these recruits and their families would base their decisions simply on who has the best NIL deal. There are a lot of factors that go into these college choices, in most cases that choice is an investment in their future. Look at Mudia Reuben, his NIL potential is way higher being a local kid signing at a school that cares deeply about football, that didn't help us one bit and I'm certain the guarantee of $10,000 a year wouldn't have changed that.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2021, 10:42:12 AM »
Did Quinn Ewers get 1 million in a deal to go to tOSU?  That was a hilarious waste of money.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »
 :dunno: but if one dude getting a million dollars isn't enough to keep him for even the entire season doesn't indicate that NIL isn't going to be this thing that will make Arizona as good as LSU, nothing will.

If that deal was even real Ewers clearly felt he had a lot more to lose in future earnings by staying there.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »
I think it's foolish to look at 1 year's data set to try and predict how this will affect recruiting forever.

Of course schools that pay the most are going to increase their recruiting prowess. It's absurd to think otherwise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2021, 03:16:10 PM »
I think it's foolish to look at 1 year's data set to try and predict how this will affect recruiting forever.

Of course schools that pay the most are going to increase their recruiting prowess. It's absurd to think otherwise.

I'm willing to bet that after five years, there will be no power shift due to NIL. You'll see the little guys get one offs, like Jackson State did yesterday. But 150 years of college football tradition isn't going to get flipped on it's head because of this. The powers have not changed and won't change. I think NIL will do what the scholarship reduction did and that's expanding the middle class, it didn't change who the elites are.

If Carl Ice decided to dedicate his millions exclusively to NIL, it might pull us out of the 50s into the fringes of the top 25 classes. If we were able to match Carl's millions with a top 5 coach with a dynamite recruiting staff, we might have a great year or two, until a school with 8 Carl Ice's comes and take that coach.

This thought that a booster could pull a program into something they aren't, without consideration of all the other things that make a program elite is a fantasy. We have all the evidence you want to see already out there. Oregon has now lost two straight pedestrian head coaches to programs who were currently terrible but are historical powers with built in advantages that Oregon doesn't have. Ole Miss had the #1 recruiting class with a dude perceived to be a decent coach, they couldn't even get a division title and couldn't sustain being top 25 while that class was still in school.

There's been no restrictions on a school simply buying a championship, ever wonder why it hasn't happened yet?

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2021, 03:17:37 PM »
I think kids ultimately want to get to the NFL and want to go to the place that they think gives them the best chance of doing that.  Getting 200k over four years to go to an other wise shitty school with poor coaching and sub par facilities is a penny wise pound foolish thing for a kid to do.  I think you will just see the powerhouse programs continue to be the powerhouse programs and maybe the gap between those schools and the rest widens a bit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2021, 07:58:01 PM »

I'm willing to bet that after five years, there will be no power shift due to NIL. You'll see the little guys get one offs, like Jackson State did yesterday. But 150 years of college football tradition isn't going to get flipped on it's head because of this. The powers have not changed and won't change. I think NIL will do what the scholarship reduction did and that's expanding the middle class, it didn't change who the elites are.

If Carl Ice decided to dedicate his millions exclusively to NIL, it might pull us out of the 50s into the fringes of the top 25 classes. If we were able to match Carl's millions with a top 5 coach with a dynamite recruiting staff, we might have a great year or two, until a school with 8 Carl Ice's comes and take that coach.

This thought that a booster could pull a program into something they aren't, without consideration of all the other things that make a program elite is a fantasy. We have all the evidence you want to see already out there. Oregon has now lost two straight pedestrian head coaches to programs who were currently terrible but are historical powers with built in advantages that Oregon doesn't have. Ole Miss had the #1 recruiting class with a dude perceived to be a decent coach, they couldn't even get a division title and couldn't sustain being top 25 while that class was still in school.

There's been no restrictions on a school simply buying a championship, ever wonder why it hasn't happened yet?
I'm going to ignore all the strawman in your post and just say thanks for acknowledging I was right. I think having rich donors, with no concern about spending on recruits, could take us 20-30 spots up in recruiting.