Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32656 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How much are we going to pay our players?
« on: June 21, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »
Let's be the top paying school in the country. This is our chance to level the playing field!

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1406978733999788033

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:39:05 AM »
Presently, they will have to make some attempt to tie the benefits to some educational purpose beyond merely paying for paying's sake.  You CAN give educational related goods, such as Mac Book Pros.  You CAN give paid internships to watch oil wells go up and down, or whatever else remotely passes for an internship in their field of study.  You CAN promise and give graduate school scholarships that extend well past their playing days.

I think we have to start with badass computers, unlimited meals, unlimited tuition for life (at any level or program they are accepted into), free transportation to and from the airport, free flights home and back during breaks, free flights to internships and back....

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »
I also think we need to immediately sue the NCAA to drop the minimum number of sports.  We should only have revenue sports and whatever else is needed to achieve title 9 compliance for women's scholarship counts.  No other sports.   All funds must now be injected into the revenue stream.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 08:33:53 AM »
Kids need fast cars to get to class on time, right?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
We need mean Gene to read the New to Investing thread to set up some sort of player paying endowment fund.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 09:01:27 AM »
Yeah let's get them macbook pros except that the macbook pros are made out of gold and diamonds.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/byaustinmeek/status/1407046535054082059

There's no can of worms, the media narrative around student athlete compensation is absurd. The nationwide trend is that the academic arm of universities are disinvesting in athletic departments. It's insane to think that universities are going to start supplementing athletic departments and student athletes on this scale.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 06:54:25 AM »
Instead of ICAT, maybe we should create ICAMP.   I contributed a MacBook Pro.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »

There's no can of worms, the media narrative around student athlete compensation is absurd. The nationwide trend is that the academic arm of universities are disinvesting in athletic departments. It's insane to think that universities are going to start supplementing athletic departments and student athletes on this scale.

I can't believe that with as much money involved in college athletics these days that you think they won't!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:30:57 AM »

I can't believe that with as much money involved in college athletics these days that you think they won't!

First, we have to gut the NCAA of nearly all authority, or get rid of it.  Dennis Dodd thinks the NCAA is at risk of law suits that my do the trick, for example.  Once the NCAA rules on the minimum number of scholarships are out of the way, we can then dedicate all of those dollars to revenue sports and benefits to those players.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »

They've managed to keep the money out of athlete's hands this long and I don't think that will change overnight.  There is no can of worms.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »
Our old, white and small timey AD from North Dakota is going to absolutely and totally get smoked in this arms race.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »
As long as pole vaulters are on scholarship, we cannot pay football and basketball players the exorbitant amounts that we'd like.  We gotta get rid of the scholarship minimums before we can open this highly desirable can of worms.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 11:41:23 AM »
A decent amount of our donor base is like Kietz and thinks none of them should get paid a cent.  this is going to kill us.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 11:54:43 AM »
A decent amount of our donor base is like Kietz and thinks none of them should get paid a cent.  this is going to kill us.

After we starting getting our assess absolutely owned at a whole new level, they'll come around.  You'd like to think that they will be forward looking, but I share your skepticism about the grapes (aka taters).

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
I know the vast majority of our fanbase doesn't care, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with elite talent in non-revenue sports. For example, under the new status quo, a guy like Erik Kynard probably gets some $$$ because he was the No. 1 high jumper in the country and lots of schools wanted him. Can/will K-State be able to compete for elite athletes in the non-revenue sports? Probably not, but I'm curious to see how we approach it (and how mean gene probably messes it up).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 02:07:12 PM »
I can only assume that when this actually turns into actual payments to players gene will get a $3mm retirement parachute and leave.  He doesn't have the talent to get into this

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
As long as pole vaulters are on scholarship, we cannot pay football and basketball players the exorbitant amounts that we'd like.  We gotta get rid of the scholarship minimums before we can open this highly desirable can of worms.

Are you going to get rid of the federal title IX law as well?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 02:31:57 PM »
Carl and Mary for AD imo

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 02:38:43 PM »
I know the vast majority of our fanbase doesn't care, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with elite talent in non-revenue sports. For example, under the new status quo, a guy like Erik Kynard probably gets some $$$ because he was the No. 1 high jumper in the country and lots of schools wanted him. Can/will K-State be able to compete for elite athletes in the non-revenue sports? Probably not, but I'm curious to see how we approach it (and how mean gene probably messes it up).

So many people get this discussion wrong, the way this is framed is absolutely not what the reality of athlete compensation is. This board sounds exactly like the olds on KSO/GPC.

First of all everyone needs to stop talking about what K-State or Gene will pay football players, basketball players, track athletes, rowers, whoever. I'm going to shout this in hopes everyone hears it.
THERE IS NO CURRENT MODEL BEING DISCUSSED THAT ENTAILS ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS PAYING STUDENT ATHLETES OUTSIDE OF WHAT AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT WILL MAKE FROM INDIVIDUAL ATHLETES APPAREL SALES. PERIOD.

We're not talking about Baylor and K-State in a bidding war for a four star running back from Round Rock. The current changes in laws and policy are simply allowing student athletes to participate in the same free market that everyone else is in. This has nothing to do with Gene, or any coach, scholarship limits, minimum varsity teams, none of that.

NCAA v. Alston, NIL legislation, neither of those make student athletes employees, there's no bidding or payroll involved here.

The biggest frustration about K-State fans in particular gnashing our teeth about this is that the reform that allows athletic departments to put cash in student athletes pockets has already happened. Remember the cost of living payments? When we instituted those K-State gave out the highest disbursement per player in the conference and were top 5 nationwide. I don't know where we are now because that hasn't been reported since after the second year it was instituted.

Intentional or not but misframing NIL and the Alston ruling gives fuel to the olds who are bent because they think this means athletic departments will be out there bidding for the services of poor black kids, then it's all like "what about me" or "what about my kid."

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »

So many people get this discussion wrong, the way this is framed is absolutely not what the reality of athlete compensation is. This board sounds exactly like the olds on KSO/GPC.

First of all everyone needs to stop talking about what K-State or Gene will pay football players, basketball players, track athletes, rowers, whoever. I'm going to shout this in hopes everyone hears it.
THERE IS NO CURRENT MODEL BEING DISCUSSED THAT ENTAILS ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS PAYING STUDENT ATHLETES OUTSIDE OF WHAT AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT WILL MAKE FROM INDIVIDUAL ATHLETES APPAREL SALES. PERIOD.

We're not talking about Baylor and K-State in a bidding war for a four star running back from Round Rock. The current changes in laws and policy are simply allowing student athletes to participate in the same free market that everyone else is in. This has nothing to do with Gene, or any coach, scholarship limits, minimum varsity teams, none of that.

NCAA v. Alston, NIL legislation, neither of those make student athletes employees, there's no bidding or payroll involved here.

The biggest frustration about K-State fans in particular gnashing our teeth about this is that the reform that allows athletic departments to put cash in student athletes pockets has already happened. Remember the cost of living payments? When we instituted those K-State gave out the highest disbursement per player in the conference and were top 5 nationwide. I don't know where we are now because that hasn't been reported since after the second year it was instituted.

Intentional or not but misframing NIL and the Alston ruling gives fuel to the olds who are bent because they think this means athletic departments will be out there bidding for the services of poor black kids, then it's all like "what about me" or "what about my kid."

I don't disagree with what you've shared on it's face. But, the reality is that the savvy/forward-thinking athletic departments will be able to "connect" student-athletes with organizations that will then pay them in the form of endorsements, etc. That could be any number of things - from being an "influencer" on social media (product endorsement, etc.) to appearances in advertising, etc. Frankly, I think it's a bit obtuse to take the view that athletic departments won't play a crucial role (particularly in those states where legislation is set to take effect). It may not be the athletic department directly paying the athletes. But, I would be absolutely shocked if they don't serve as a facilitator in many instances. And, those that can't/won't/refuse to play that game are likely to be left behind.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 04:16:57 PM »

I don't disagree with what you've shared on it's face. But, the reality is that the savvy/forward-thinking athletic departments will be able to "connect" student-athletes with organizations that will then pay them in the form of endorsements, etc. That could be any number of things - from being an "influencer" on social media (product endorsement, etc.) to appearances in advertising, etc. Frankly, I think it's a bit obtuse to take the view that athletic departments won't play a crucial role (particularly in those states where legislation is set to take effect). It may not be the athletic department directly paying the athletes. But, I would be absolutely shocked if they don't serve as a facilitator in many instances. And, those that can't/won't/refuse to play that game are likely to be left behind.

Yes, you're 100% correct about this, and some schools, like Oklahoma State, already have firms working with players to maximize their earning potential. There is some work that athletic departments can and will do but there are a lot of people think that work involves scratching players checks and that isn't the case, now or anytime soon.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 04:26:57 PM »
If this isn't a Cold War level arms race, everyone is doing it wrong.