Poll

how many people will have died from covid 19 by the end of july?

130-145k
4 (18.2%)
145-155k
9 (40.9%)
155-165k
6 (27.3%)
165-175k
1 (4.5%)
over 175k
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: July 04, 2020, 11:43:35 AM

Author Topic: death poll 7.0 (the deaths of july)  (Read 5757 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: death poll 7.0 (the deaths of july)
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2020, 09:24:16 PM »
What was KSU-W's prediction again? 40k? I mean his modified prediction, of course. I believe his initial prediction was around 10k.

That was def his first prediction, it was stupid as hell. I do think he revised to to 40 or 50k.

I will say barring anything spectacular one way or another, I think by the end of 2020, we'll probably be pretty close to 300k (and at least past 250k), and by full calendar year (March 2021) I think we'll be probably around 400k. Now that we have entered the nearly 1000/day average pretty regularly we'll unfortunately probably hang around that value for several weeks.
“Assuming nothing crazy happens,” I think 300k by year end would be highly unlikely.   100k more by March seems even more unlikely.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2020, 09:49:22 PM »
What was KSU-W's prediction again? 40k? I mean his modified prediction, of course. I believe his initial prediction was around 10k.

That was def his first prediction, it was stupid as hell. I do think he revised to to 40 or 50k.

I will say barring anything spectacular one way or another, I think by the end of 2020, we'll probably be pretty close to 300k (and at least past 250k), and by full calendar year (March 2021) I think we'll be probably around 400k. Now that we have entered the nearly 1000/day average pretty regularly we'll unfortunately probably hang around that value for several weeks.
“Assuming nothing crazy happens,” I think 300k by year end would be highly unlikely.   100k more by March seems even more unlikely.

Hard to tell what flu season will bring.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2020, 10:08:31 PM »
Schools are a major wildcard

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2020, 11:12:05 PM »
yeah.  i think we have another 50k or so deaths baked in.  after that, who knows.  depends on how stupid we are.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
yeah.  i think we have another 50k or so deaths baked in.  after that, who knows.  depends on how stupid we are.

We elected trump so....
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2020, 06:48:07 AM »

Schools? People now being cooped up inside? It seems more likely to me, and this thing has powered through summer pretty well and is still slowly building.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2020, 08:13:02 AM »

Schools? People now being cooped up inside? It seems more likely to me, and this thing has powered through summer pretty well and is still slowly building.
We go over 155K today.

The Sept Death Poll is going to be a challenge to get right.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2020, 06:31:16 PM »

We go over 155K today.

The Sept Death Poll is going to be a challenge to get right.

And it has happened

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2020, 08:06:00 PM »
we really accelerated into the finish line.  congratulations to the 155-165kers.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
I finally won one!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
Congrats lib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2020, 09:12:54 PM »
This crap has been as easy to predict as 2010's KSU football.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2020, 10:43:48 PM »

Yeah I want to walk that back.  When I wrote that I was miscalculating how many days were left in the year. :blindfold:

300k by year's end is certainly possible.  I'd bet against it, but i'm chronically and incorrectly optimistic about this.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2020, 07:25:18 AM »

Yeah I want to walk that back.  When I wrote that I was miscalculating how many days were left in the year. :blindfold:

300k by year's end is certainly possible.  I'd bet against it, but i'm chronically and incorrectly optimistic about this.

Hey, I don't want it to happen either, but yeah, I can understand that it seems damn near impossible that this year still has over 150 days/5 months to more to go. Feels like the end of the year should happen like two months from now, but it was like when we crossed the "100 days to election!" a few days ago and I'm like, "100 days? holy crap this is still forever away"

That's just where my calcs (guess) came from, I will admit I think 300k is probably on the high end, but like, not that high. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2020, 07:50:39 AM »
From a populous state viewpoint, who hasn't had a big spike above normal death rate? That will give some insight to what we can expect for the next few months.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
we really accelerated into the finish line.  congratulations to the 155-165kers.
Thanks, sys. I'm taking a [tragic] victory lap today.

What day/s does Death Poll 8.0 open / close?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
From a populous state viewpoint, who hasn't had a big spike above normal death rate? That will give some insight to what we can expect for the next few months.

I think Ohio? but it looks like a lot of states are slowly trending back up

https://rt.live/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2020, 12:16:47 PM »
What day/s does Death Poll 8.0 open / close?

i haven't thought of a question i'm excited to poll yet.  not really feeling a generic august poll, feels to me like those numbers are pretty set.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2020, 05:35:41 PM »
two days into the new cov2 stats week (which starts on tuesdays), deaths aren't up this week over last.  not what i'd have expected.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1291139988801847297

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »
I heard on the national news today that positive cases were down this week, but that total testing was also down. I wasn't sure why that would be the case.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »
i think testing is down because of inclement weather in florida and texas along with reporting delays in california.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2020, 08:11:49 PM »
California becomes the third state to go over 10k deaths.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile