Author Topic: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)  (Read 23414 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:50:04 PM by Trim »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Journalist persecution/heroism (spinoff from The riot thread)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:57:25 AM »
How do you “stop” a guy who had no intention of hurting anyone?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »
My fav so far is def the pic of the guy’s bruise with an explanation that he’ll be ok.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
Maybe goes better in greatest K-State beat writer threat, but whatever.

https://twitter.com/Matthew_D_Hall/status/1267094247829839875

https://twitter.com/Matthew_D_Hall/status/1267098623285833728

I’m really starting to worry about him
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »
Splitting the Matt Hall stuff out, mocking journalists for covering the police going after journalists doesn't show what you think it does.

Journalists have covered war zones with more safety than is being provided on city streets in America. These tough guy cops can't even be as restrained as third world dictators.  The CNN thing should have gotten even more coverage. Knowing what the MPD knew about what is going on in the city and in this country, they couldn't even be bothered to let two black journalists do their job, when there were white media members all over the rough ridin' place. How many black members of the press do you think those cops saw that day, in comparison to the white media members. It wasn't some coincidence that those two guys were the ones arrested.

The media are the only things providing the checks to the cops causing havoc and destruction. God knows the districts attorney won't rough ridin' do anything about these abusive cops. All we have are cameras and potential shame from being exposed.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »
Splitting the Matt Hall stuff out, mocking journalists for covering the police going after journalists doesn't show what you think it does.

Journalists have covered war zones with more safety than is being provided on city streets in America. These tough guy cops can't even be as restrained as third world dictators.  The CNN thing should have gotten even more coverage. Knowing what the MPD knew about what is going on in the city and in this country, they couldn't even be bothered to let two black journalists do their job, when there were white media members all over the rough ridin' place. How many black members of the press do you think those cops saw that day, in comparison to the white media members. It wasn't some coincidence that those two guys were the ones arrested.

The media are the only things providing the checks to the cops causing havoc and destruction. God knows the districts attorney won't rough ridin' do anything about these abusive cops. All we have are cameras and potential shame from being exposed.
You make good points. I think my issue is that there's this attitude that what is happening to the press is far worse than what is happening to protestors based on the level of condemnation you see from them.

Also you have to admit the CNN sign tweet was pretty bad.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »

completely agree.  the media can slip into unattractive navel gazing at times, but it is vital that they cover these events (and everything else).  it is a huge deal that law enforcement, broadly speaking, appears to be targeting them and preventing or impeding their ability to observe and communicate the events to the public.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
media navel gazing

I'm keeping my thread title, but yes, that's what this thread is for.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »
wesley lowery hits at what I was trying to say better than I did (thread):

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/1267163200979636224

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »
I don't get the impression that the media thinks what is happening to them is any worse than what happens to the protesters. I actually think of the media as a whole the same way that I do the protesters. Their role in this is to tell the story of the protesters, they are right there along side of them. They're getting arrested, gassed, and assaulted just like the protesters are.

The CNN tweet was cringy, but I agree with the sentiment. I also think that the media gets undue crap and not enough credit for doing good, this was before they had to deal with the orange ape and his fake news army. The fact that they're always being mocked, from all sides, probably has a bit to do with the navel gazing.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 12:02:08 AM »
garrett haake (good dude) gets hit by a police projectile (he later said he thought it was a bean bag or something, not one of the rubber bullets). this is kind of a funny clip, but i've seen a couple of photos on twitter of people who have apparently lost an eye or lost vision in an eye from rubber bullets.

https://twitter.com/getti_hulahoops/status/1267293389860384768

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 12:12:10 AM »
delete
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 12:13:41 AM »
garrett haake (good dude) gets hit by a police projectile (he later said he thought it was a bean bag or something, not one of the rubber bullets). this is kind of a funny clip, but i've seen a couple of photos on twitter of people who have apparently lost an eye or lost vision in an eye from rubber bullets.

https://twitter.com/getti_hulahoops/status/1267293389860384768
Lol. That is pretty funny.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 12:14:24 AM »
Yeah I definitely do not envy the journos in the middle of this crap.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 12:16:16 AM »
Apparently a rare incident of gun play in BHAM

https://twitter.com/BrittanyDtvNews/status/1267321985475936257?s=20

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile