Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 55067 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
I know of a Pharm Rep from McPherson who had $70k worth of champagne at his retirement party in Seattle.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
:adios:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
Hey guys I think Shellshock is on to something here.  If you can't pay for defense we should allow Russian communists to come here and rape your family.  I mean pull up your boot straps and pay for soldiers like a real man, amIrite!

Also as long as we're on this....maybe we can charge people for exercising certain other rights.  Maybe, like a tax, on voting, at the polls.  Yeah, that could really generate some revenue.  :Wha:

This is what obamacare does. You have the right not to buy health insurance for yourself, but you're going to have to pay the government for that right.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Hey guys I think Shellshock is on to something here.  If you can't pay for defense we should allow Russian communists to come here and rape your family.  I mean pull up your boot straps and pay for soldiers like a real man, amIrite!

Also as long as we're on this....maybe we can charge people for exercising certain other rights.  Maybe, like a tax, on voting, at the polls.  Yeah, that could really generate some revenue.  :Wha:

This is what obamacare does. You have the right not to buy health insurance for yourself, but you're going to have to pay the government for that right.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here, and I don't think you are, either.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »

The only hole in this is that still if you get sick(really sick) you can go to the hospital and they will still provide care.

Who pays for that care?

Should hospitals just turn people away that can't pay?
:dance:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

The only hole in this is that still if you get sick(really sick) you can go to the hospital and they will still provide care.

Who pays for that care?

It's either that, or debtor's jail.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »

Who pays for that care?

I feel like barter is being underrepresented here. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Boohoo, I don't get paid for two weeks out of my 30 year meaningless career that affords me above average salary, exceptional benefits and a fixed 830 to 5 job with 10 paid holidays.  Oh yeah, I can't get fired absent some atrocious behavior after my one year probationary period.  But feel sorry for me, pleeeeeaaase!

This is a bit dickish but every person in this country runs the risk of losing their job if their employer runs out of money.  I would feel sorry for all of them equally, but its life and if you didn't like it you should find a way to be immune (be your own boss).

it's not dickish at all and i 100% completely agree. nobody really cares about anything unless it directly affects them or maybe (maybe) someone they really care about. you think FR is going to say a prayer if some downtown kc law office folds? heck no he isn't. he's going wake up, take a shower, hop in his car and head to kafe leopold for late brunch and some mimosas. that's just life. and no, no move. the house across from me is just bigger and nicer than mine.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »

I feel like barter is being underrepresented here.
"submit to some trials and we'll fix that compound femur fracture, ma'am."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
FTR, I'm not really complaining. The timing sucks for us a little, but our situation is pretty different than the typical 40-50k guy who is gonna feel some strain if he goes two weeks without a check. I'm really more in the detached camp. Plus, I can still work remotely and suck up some extra tax teet dollars.

Also FTR, I've fired three employees in the last 3 years or so. So you're welcome, America.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
our situation is pretty different than the typical 40-50k guy who is gonna feel some strain if he goes two weeks without a check.

whoa there fanning

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
Boohoo, I don't get paid for two weeks out of my 30 year meaningless career that affords me above average salary, exceptional benefits and a fixed 830 to 5 job with 10 paid holidays.  Oh yeah, I can't get fired absent some atrocious behavior after my one year probationary period.  But feel sorry for me, pleeeeeaaase!

This is a bit dickish but every person in this country runs the risk of losing their job if their employer runs out of money.  I would feel sorry for all of them equally, but its life and if you didn't like it you should find a way to be immune (be your own boss).

it's not dickish at all and i 100% completely agree. nobody really cares about anything unless it directly affects them or maybe (maybe) someone they really care about. you think FR is going to say a prayer if some downtown kc law office folds? heck no he isn't. he's going wake up, take a shower, hop in his car and head to kafe leopold for late brunch and some mimosas. that's just life. and no, no move. the house across from me is just bigger and nicer than mine.

glad i'm not a dick!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
FTR, I'm not really complaining. The timing sucks for us a little, but our situation is pretty different than the typical 40-50k guy who is gonna feel some strain if he goes two weeks without a check. I'm really more in the detached camp. Plus, I can still work remotely and suck up some extra tax teet dollars.

Also FTR, I've fired three employees in the last 3 years or so. So you're welcome, America.

Hell yeah bruh, let that strap hanger rough ridin' twist!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »

glad i'm not a dick!

me too! also, mhk housing prices are pretty high for ks. it's not like kc or wichita or something. you'd probably be pretty surprised.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »

glad i'm not a dick!

me too! also, mhk housing prices are pretty high for ks. it's not like kc or wichita or something. you'd probably be pretty surprised.

It is an elite city, so I have no doubt. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »

our situation is pretty different than the typical 40-50k guy who is gonna feel some strain if he goes two weeks without a check.

whoa there fanning

Ha. Really meant that more as our two incomes w/ no kids versus people in our same office with 3 kids and a stay at home wife.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
do you have to pay rent when you're in Cairo?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
This is going to make a pretty slow moving episode.  One of those that saves money by not having a bunch of other non-main characters with lines and stuff.  I mean, we'll watch it because it's on and otherwise wouldn't get our fix for the week, but it won't be entertaining. 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
More guards to keep people out than it would take personnel to keep it open. Also, closing parks on government land not operated by the federal government. It's now obvious obama is trying to make this as painful as possible. What a drama queen.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/shutdown-overreach-more-guards-at-wwii-memorial-than-benghazi-park-service-closes-park-it-doesnt-run/article/2536710

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »

Who pays for that care?

Yes. Just like McDonalds turns me away from a cheeseburger when I forget my wallet.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »

Who pays for that care?

Yes. Just like McDonalds turns me away from a cheeseburger when I forget my wallet.

...to expand: There's no reason why we should treat health insurance any different than other goods/services. If you can't pay, you don't get it. It's really not that hard folks.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »

Who pays for that care?

Should the police help you if you are being beaten in Los Angeles?  Keep in mind, you didn't pay crap in taxes in Los Angeles.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »

Who pays for that care?

Should the police help you if you are being beaten in Los Angeles?  Keep in mind, you didn't pay crap in taxes in Los Angeles.

You're clearly missing the point.  :facepalm:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »

Who pays for that care?

You're clearly missing the point.  :facepalm:

What is the point?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
The point is that he wants free McDonalds if others are getting free health care.