Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 54782 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »
80% of government employees were still expected to go to work. The other 20% they should probably lay off anyway.

Well, it's not quite that simple.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/slate_labs/2013/10/federal_government_shutdown_agencies_with_the_most_furloughs.html

Online Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »
i've been a registered 'pub for 9 of the last 10 years, but i can't see myself voting for one, for any national office for the foreseeable future.  they're rough ridin' children.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2013, 12:04:43 AM »
i've been a registered 'pub for 9 of the last 10 years, but i can't see myself voting for one, for any national office for the foreseeable future.  they're rough ridin' children.

Sys just hasn't had that good pussy like the pubs.  Stop demeaning them as white men.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2013, 07:29:31 AM »
everyone survive with out the government yesterday?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »
Is it bad that I feel almost completely detached from all of this shut down stuff?  I know that all of this stuff effects me, but whatever happens in the government doesn't really seem to make a difference in my life, or really too many people that I know, outside of them bitching about politics.

it's not bad. it just means that you are like most people. if you were felix though and you can't use your sick or annual leave now and you just had a kid, then it would probably be a big deal to you. or if you are the primary wage earner in your family and you got sent home yesterday with no idea when you might be able to go back to work and start making money again, then it would probably be a big deal to you as well. you'd probably have an opinion and feeling about stuff then. but you aren't and you don't know a lot of people that are, so it's not a big deal to you. normal.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
Pretty amazing that the democrats can elect extreme left wingers like Pelosi as their party leaders, then call the republicans extremists and get away with it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2013, 08:24:28 AM »
Must suck to be a federal employee, knowing that if you can last you're first year of employment you are set up with above average pay and incredible benefits for the rest of your life.  But these two weeks without pay every 17 years really makes the rest of the country feel for you guys.

GMAFB you assclown

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Must suck to be a federal employee, knowing that if you can last you're first year of employment you are set up with above average pay and incredible benefits for the rest of your life.  But these two weeks without pay every 17 years really makes the rest of the country feel for you guys.

GMAFB you assclown

If you find yourself envying the salary of a federal employee, then it's probably time to move on and get a better job.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »

GMAFB you assclown

so you aren't a federal employee either? got it. i never would've guessed. also, it's your not you're.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
Boohoo, I don't get paid for two weeks out of my 30 year meaningless career that affords me above average salary, exceptional benefits and a fixed 830 to 5 job with 10 paid holidays.  Oh yeah, I can't get fired absent some atrocious behavior after my one year probationary period.  But feel sorry for me, pleeeeeaaase!

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »

GMAFB you assclown

If you find yourself envying the salary of a federal employee, then it's probably time to move on and get a better job.

Who are you offering this advice to?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »
Someone I know Federal Gov't Job as a middle manager at Federal Agency:

Salary:  $102K (Plus regular cash bonuses)

PTO:  Tons

Work week:  Flex Time 4-10 Hour Days and 3 day weekends, including 2 of the 4 days "working" at home.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »

Work week:  Flex Time 4-10 Hour Days and 3 day weekends, including 2 of the 4 days "working" at home.

I guess I just don't see your point. This doesn't seem outrageous at all.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
When I worked for the fed I got a paid day off work because a president from before I was born died.  If I put 6% into my 401k they matched 10% of my inflated salary, plus an annual bonus.  I got 39 days paid vacation.  I was supposed to work 40 hours a week but was only assigned enough stuff to do to keep me busy ~20.  My health insurance was free with a $250 deducable and no copay.

Also, I was "essential" so this bullshit would have had no effect on my life.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »

good for him. sounds like an ok gig. the guy who lives across the street from me is pharma sales guy. hardly ever works, small territory, good drug, always at home, car paid for, three kids, wife does not work, lives in 350-400k house. it's also a pretty decent job and he's a great guy. i'm happy for him.

and yes to what nk said, if you find yourself complaining about how much federal employees get paid or how much time off they have or whatever then my goodness it's time to start looking for a different job.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »
The Fed or the federal government?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Pharma guy can get fired, and typically the bottom 50% of the sales force get laid off.

Pharma sales is an aristocracy for doctors' children, fwiw.  You can thank the federal govt. in large part for their bloated pay.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2013, 09:03:44 AM »
Back to the point at hand, I think it's hilarious that the Dems closed down the monuments in DC with those fences and SHUTDOWN signs, and the WWII vets said "eff that, you're not using our monument as a prop for your phony shutdown" and stormed the barricade. That's why they're the greatest generation.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »
Pharma guy can get fired, and typically the bottom 50% of the sales force get laid off.

Pharma sales is an aristocracy for doctors' children, fwiw.  You can thank the federal govt. in large part for their bloated pay.

well i mean i don't really think any of that is true, but then again i don't really care. i like the guy and i want him to do well, just the same as i like pretty much every human and want them to also do well. but then again, i also make enough money of my own and have a good enough life that it doesn't anger me to see other people succeeding and happy.  :dunno:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »

Back to the point at hand, I think it's hilarious that the Dems closed down the monuments in DC with those fences and SHUTDOWN signs, and the WWII vets said "eff that, you're not using our monument as a prop for your phony shutdown" and stormed the barricade. That's why they're the greatest generation.

Yeah fences and guards cost money. Political clownshowery.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
this gov. shutdown really has k-s-u whipping ass in these threads

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »
And if you wondering what the point is,

This thread is about defunding a law that has caused millions of people to work reduced hours and lose employer provided  healthcare coverage all so some neophyte can claim he accomplished something I during his trite and meaningless presidency.

So complaining about not working for no pay for a couple weeks looks pretty fuckimg insensitive when you consider the unemployment/ underemployment in this country in large part caused by obamacare.

SHUT UP

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
And if you wondering what the point is,

This thread is about defunding a law that has caused millions of people to work reduced hours and lose employer provided  healthcare coverage all so some neophyte can claim he accomplished something I during his trite and meaningless presidency.

So complaining about not working for no pay for a couple weeks looks pretty fuckimg insensitive when you consider the unemployment/ underemployment in this country in large part caused by obamacare.

SHUT UP

Just how much funding has Obamacare lost because of this power move? Can we just expect it to go away now?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »
threads like this one make me feel a lot better when i do something stupid. like, oh, maybe you shouldnt have microwaved that fork this morning. oh well, at least im not rough ridin' fake sugar dick calling people libtards. #soblessed
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.