Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 54675 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
So apparently just 6.6% of EPA employees are deemed "essential" to work through the SHUTDOWN. That.... actually makes perfect sense. So if we can keep this thing going, are these guys effectively fired? Kinda like "fixing the glitch" in Office Space?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
And if you wondering what the point is,

This thread is about defunding a law that has caused millions of people to work reduced hours and lose employer provided  healthcare coverage all so some neophyte can claim he accomplished something I during his trite and meaningless presidency.

So complaining about not working for no pay for a couple weeks looks pretty fuckimg insensitive when you consider the unemployment/ underemployment in this country in large part caused by obamacare.

SHUT UP

Just how much funding has Obamacare lost because of this power move? Can we just expect it to go away now?

Whose fault is that?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
Studs.

WASHINGTON — Wheelchair-bound elderly veterans pushed aside barricades to tour the World War II Memorial Tuesday morning, in defiance of the government shutdown which closed all of the memorials in the nation’s capital.

The four bus loads of veterans — visiting from Mississippi as part of a once-in-a-lifetime Honor Flight tour — ignored National Park Police instructions not to enter the site as lawmakers and tourists cheered them on.

“We didn’t come this far not to get in,” one veteran proclaimed.

The scene was both emotional and comical at once. After it was clear they had lost control of the situation, Park Police officials stood aside, telling press that they had “asked for guidance on how to respond” to the breach of security.

As 80-something veterans slowly walked around the massive war memorial, Park Police stood quietly to the side, advising other tourists that the site was technically still closed. But they made no moves to stop the wishes of the war heroes.

“It’s great to be here, but it’s really disappointing that we can’t get closer to see it,” said Gene Tolley, a Marine Corps veteran who served in the Pacific during the war. “I came through the city back in high school, but I was looking forward to coming back and seeing this.”

He got his wish.

As Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, distracted a Park Police representative, other lawmakers and their staff helped topple the metal fences. A bagpiper on hand for the event led the men past the crowd and into the heart of the memorial, attracting a large, applauding crowd.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »
Can we go back to the guy only getting 10 paid holidays? Seems like a 3rd world country thing. Also, that guy working 40 hour weeks that FSD was talking about... Man, what a slacker!
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
This was unfortunate timing for baby rex
:sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek:

No leave pay. Bad time to take a 3-month medical leave. I mean, it's really our fault for having a due date around the end of the fiscal year. Irresponsible, really. But you know how those crazy Cairo winters can be.  :sdeek: :sdeek:
yikes. well at least legal hiring in DC is booming. heh.

ts and ps, fr.

Time to start the tv show and book based on your thread

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
We're seeing the beginning of a new era folks! Hopefully everyone can open their eyes and treat healthcare like the good/service it really is. If you can't afford it, i'm sorry but you can't get treated. It's the same principle that runs everything else in the world. If you don't have money to buy a nice car, you don't get to.

This may get me blasted, but it's how things have worked for hundreds of years. Everything has been going downhill since we've been giving a crap about not hurting everyones feelings.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
We're seeing the beginning of a new era folks! Hopefully everyone can open their eyes and treat healthcare like the good/service it really is. If you can't afford it, i'm sorry but you can't get treated. It's the same principle that runs everything else in the world. If you don't have money to buy a nice car, you don't get to.

This may get me blasted, but it's how things have worked for hundreds of years. Everything has been going downhill since we've been giving a crap about not hurting everyones feelings.

I have no idea what you are even talking about.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »

not having a nice car isnt a matter of living or dying. apples and oranges you heartless prick.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »

I have no idea what you are even talking about.

He is saying "let them eat cake"

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »

not having a nice car isnt a matter of living or dying. apples and oranges you heartless prick.

It's really not though...

Why do you feel the need for everyone that works hard for a living to pay for people that don't even want to find jobs? I work my ass off in order to do what I want and i'm tired of people freeloading off successful people. This country was built off of hard work and opportunity. Everyone has the opportunity to achieve more and have more success, but they have to work for it. Whether it's a minimum wage job that provides small healthcare or one where you have all the money in the world. The problem with Americans now is that we're lazy and feel like we're entitled to everything and that's just not how it works.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Boohoo, I don't get paid for two weeks out of my 30 year meaningless career that affords me above average salary, exceptional benefits and a fixed 830 to 5 job with 10 paid holidays.  Oh yeah, I can't get fired absent some atrocious behavior after my one year probationary period.  But feel sorry for me, pleeeeeaaase!

This is a bit dickish but every person in this country runs the risk of losing their job if their employer runs out of money.  I would feel sorry for all of them equally, but its life and if you didn't like it you should find a way to be immune (be your own boss).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »
Someone I know Federal Gov't Job as a middle manager at Federal Agency:

Salary:  $102K (Plus regular cash bonuses)

PTO:  Tons

Work week:  Flex Time 4-10 Hour Days and 3 day weekends, including 2 of the 4 days "working" at home.

good for him. sounds like an ok gig. the guy who lives across the street from me is pharma sales guy. hardly ever works, small territory, good drug, always at home, car paid for, three kids, wife does not work, lives in 350-400k house. it's also a pretty decent job and he's a great guy. i'm happy for him.

and yes to what nk said, if you find yourself complaining about how much federal employees get paid or how much time off they have or whatever then my goodness it's time to start looking for a different job.

You moved to Windmere?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »

Human rights tho.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »

Human rights tho.

At what expense? Yours? Mine? A middle class family that brings just enough home to take care of themselves because they're responsible? It's not everyone else's burden to carry the people that can't carry themselves. Human rights are one thing, but health insurance is a completely different animal.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
Boohoo, I don't get paid for two weeks out of my 30 year meaningless career that affords me above average salary, exceptional benefits and a fixed 830 to 5 job with 10 paid holidays.  Oh yeah, I can't get fired absent some atrocious behavior after my one year probationary period.  But feel sorry for me, pleeeeeaaase!

This is a bit dickish but every person in this country runs the risk of losing their job if their employer runs out of money.  I would feel sorry for all of them equally, but its life and if you didn't like it you should find a way to be immune (be your own boss).

Great post! The idea that you have to work hard/smart for what you want is a very simple idea that has been gnarled and twisted by the government over time by making you pay for people that don't share the same ambitions as you do.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
shellshock has made some excellent points here and ive decided to change my mind about everything. thanks, ss, for showing me the light!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

Human rights tho.

At what expense? Yours? Mine? A middle class family that brings just enough home to take care of themselves because they're responsible? It's not everyone else's burden to carry the people that can't carry themselves. Human rights are one thing, but health insurance is a completely different animal.

We spend trillions on killing people on the other side of the planet.  Are you saying a baby whose mom just got laid off should go without medical care? 

Your posts read like a very simple minded version of a some bad Kristol article.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »

Human rights tho.

We spend trillions on killing people on the other side of the planet.  Are you saying a baby whose mom just got laid off should go without medical care? 

Your posts read like a very simple minded version of a some bad Kristol article.

oil security and less expensive gas.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »

I don't know man, having a nice car makes you feel good.  I bet people with nice rides are healthier than people who drive clunkers.  Placebo effect?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »

Human rights tho.

Well you should have pulled up your boot straps when you decided to get cancer you lazy slob.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
Rules don't apply to WWII vets

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
Hey guys I think Shellshock is on to something here.  If you can't pay for defense we should allow Russian communists to come here and rape your family.  I mean pull up your boot straps and pay for soldiers like a real man, amIrite!

Also as long as we're on this....maybe we can charge people for exercising certain other rights.  Maybe, like a tax, on voting, at the polls.  Yeah, that could really generate some revenue.  :Wha:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
Hey guys I think Shellshock is on to something here.  If you can't pay for defense we should allow Russian communists to come here and rape your family.  I mean pull up your boot straps and pay for soldiers like a real man, amIrite!

Also as long as we're on this....maybe we can charge people for exercising certain other rights.  Maybe, like a tax, on voting, at the polls.  Yeah, that could really generate some revenue.  :Wha:

I already don't vote, so this sounds fine to me.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »

I already don't vote, so this sounds fine to me.

haha, best pike post ever  :thumbs:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
Someone I know Federal Gov't Job as a middle manager at Federal Agency:

Salary:  $102K (Plus regular cash bonuses)

PTO:  Tons

Work week:  Flex Time 4-10 Hour Days and 3 day weekends, including 2 of the 4 days "working" at home.

good for him. sounds like an ok gig. the guy who lives across the street from me is pharma sales guy. hardly ever works, small territory, good drug, always at home, car paid for, three kids, wife does not work, lives in 350-400k house. it's also a pretty decent job and he's a great guy. i'm happy for him.

and yes to what nk said, if you find yourself complaining about how much federal employees get paid or how much time off they have or whatever then my goodness it's time to start looking for a different job.

You moved to Windmere?

The Pharma Sales probably has everything he does or doesn't do looked at on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in a highly qualified, objective and quantifiable manner.   Poor results will likely lead to corrective action if not dismissal taking place with no one to turn to for recourse or delay of said action.