Author Topic: Another school shooting  (Read 492665 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Another school shooting
« Reply #4525 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:40 PM »
I have two AR-15's. I have them because I grew up shooting guns and like to shoot guns at paper. They are a sports car of the gun world that serves no purpose in the home defense or hunting world. They are currently legal so I own them. If there was legislation being suggested to outlaw them I would not protest against that. Should they become illegal I would willingly turn them in as long as I am reimbursed financially (IE tax credits or straight cash homie).

Yeah, you’d have to get paid. And then you could take up the top golf adjace thing there if it ever happens.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: February 16, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
the rural/urban divide on guns is perfectly logical.  for rural person, a gun is a tool useful in a wide variety of situations and if nothing else can contribute peace of mind to people for whom a call to law enforcement might result in a hour wait for a response.  they infrequently come into contact with with any stranger that might harm them with a gun.  basically all positives, no negatives.

for an urban person, they live in a situation where there is virtually no lawful use for a gun and they daily come into contact with thousands of strangers, any of whom might harm them with a gun, if so inclined.  basically all negatives, no positives.
Hypothetically, I could agree to some extent.  I see the tragedy of Chicago and it only strengthens my resolve on the rights of self protection.  The intentional failure of politicians to allow this carnage.  A press that downplays the problem because it shames their own.  I see the consequences of a moral breakdown of the community.   

What tragedy of Chicago are you referring to? KCMO and KCK have higher murder rates most years, no matter what Sean Hannity has told you about Chicago being a war-torn shithole.
:adios:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: February 16, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
especially if it was in all white trash in the back of some gross jeans

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: February 16, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
It's time

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/964571930429935617

I can't imagine feeling good about dropping my daughter off at Kindergarten and her teacher is packing. Good grief.

I remember multiple times kids stealing cigarettes out of teacher's purses in elementary school.  Those little shits would have their hands on the gun within a week.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: February 16, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
Well Republicans have never seemed to care about the accidental deaths and suicides which make up the vast majority of gun deaths, so I think they’d be totally on board with arming kindergarteners to the teeth if it meant preventing even one mass shooting.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: February 16, 2018, 03:54:47 PM »
It's time

I can't imagine feeling good about dropping my daughter off at Kindergarten and her teacher is packing. Good grief.

I remember multiple times kids stealing cigarettes out of teacher's purses in elementary school.  Those little shits would have their hands on the gun within a week.
One would get left in the bathroom on day one.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: February 16, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
Well Republicans have never seemed to care about the accidental deaths and suicides which make up the vast majority of gun deaths, so I think they’d be totally on board with arming kindergarteners to the teeth if it meant preventing even one mass shooting.

What complete bullshit.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: February 16, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
It's time

One would get left in the bathroom on day one.
I can't think of a worse picture to include in that story/tweet than someone pulling a gun from their back waistband.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: February 16, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »

What complete bullshit.

It's okay, they can just send them thoughts and prayers and everything will be okay
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Another school shooting
« Reply #4534 on: February 16, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »
I keep seeing suicide brought up in this thread and on Twitter as a part of the "gun violence" problem. This strikes me as disingenuous, given that the "victim" of this violence is the same as the perpetrator. The may not be in a perfectly lucid mental state, but to lump that in with gun violence in which the victim has no agency is wrong.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: February 16, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »
I keep seeing suicide brought up in this thread and on Twitter as a part of the "gun violence" problem. This strikes me as disingenuous, given that the "victim" of this violence is the same as the perpetrator. The may not be in a perfectly lucid mental state, but to lump that in with gun violence in which the victim has no agency is wrong.

True. However, committing suicide is way easier to complete successfully in a fleeting, impulsive moment of bad judgment if guns are around than if they aren't around, so that's why they're mentioned.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: February 16, 2018, 04:09:36 PM »

What complete bullshit.

It's okay, they can just send them thoughts and prayers and everything will be okay

Right because Republican's are the only ones that do that.  :roll eyes:  And CNN can continue to glorify these killings by continuing to talk about it 24/7
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: February 16, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »

True. However, committing suicide is way easier to complete successfully in a fleeting, impulsive moment of bad judgment if guns are around than if they aren't around, so that's why they're mentioned.
I understand and believe that entirely, but many countries with strict gun laws have similar (or significantly higher) suicide rates, so it doesn't seem to make much of an impact in the death count in the end.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: February 16, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »

I understand and believe that entirely, but many countries with strict gun laws have similar (or significantly higher) suicide rates, so it doesn't seem to make much of an impact in the death count in the end.

link?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Another school shooting
« Reply #4539 on: February 16, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »

link?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/world-suicide-rate-map-2014-4

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: February 16, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
In American culture, suicide is stigmatized and murder is glorified. This in one factor in our Great Mental Health Problem

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39:31 PM »
young adult suicide is absolutely something we should spend more money on. everyone should have the right to not live anymore, but children aren't ready to make that decision imo. that said, wtf is it doing in the thread about children being gunned down by assault rifles in school?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: February 16, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
young adult suicide is absolutely something we should spend more money on. everyone should have the right to not live anymore, but children aren't ready to make that decision imo. that said, wtf is it doing in the thread about children being gunned down by assault rifles in school?
Someone was pissed that gun suicides at schools counted as school shootings

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: February 16, 2018, 09:27:35 PM »
I saw a good idea on Twitter today that I hadn't seen before: mandatory insurance for gun owners

https://twitter.com/edwardsforpa/status/964601090930106368

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: February 16, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
one of the things i understand less than almost anything else is people that decide to kill themselves and don't choose to do so by overdosing on morphine.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: February 16, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: February 16, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
one of the things i understand less than almost anything else is people that decide to kill themselves and don't choose to do so by overdosing on morphine.

probably easier to get a gun than a lethal dose of morphine

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: February 16, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »
you only kill yourself once.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »
If we (America) are ever going to fix this, we need to invest some honest effort in completely answering the two biggest questions:

This kid would not have shot all those people to death if he didn't have a gun. Why did he have a gun?

This kid would not have shot all those people to death if he didn't want to. Why did he want to?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:58 PM »
One side would be happy to address both of those, and one side will not allow it. I'll let you take a guess which one's which.