Author Topic: what if avery johnston is a complete badass??  (Read 39160 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: what if avery johnston is a complete badass??
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2023, 09:58:15 AM »
We need to get AJ some weapons in a bad way.  My concern is he has a brand new O-line and we lose Sinnott and Brooks for his debut next year.  Definitely needs some more biscuits.  That said, kind of looked like Jonny Football out there.  He wasn't exactly a big QB either.....
I think we're going to be pretty healthy at WR for the foreseeable future.  Keegan, RJ, Spivey, Jayce Brown...The younger part of our WR room is in the best shape it's been in in a long long time. And CK hasn't been shy about hitting the portal for WRs if need-be -- and given Avery's hype, we should be a relatively attractive destination.  But I'm pretty comfortable with our anticipated WR group in '24 as is.  And maybe BEN leaves early, but he's a junior this year. 

OL is a bit of a concern, but it was always going to be a concern when you lose 4 starters.  Plus Leingang and other young guys (e.g. Hecht) have gotten plenty of time early in their careers.  I think Avery will have plenty to work with from a #weapons perspective.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2023, 09:59:16 AM »
I am conflicted.....

I want to see AJ play as much as possible this season because he is an explosive and exciting player.

I would also want him to only play in 4 games so he can redshirt while eating all the biscuits to bulk up for next year....but then again if he really is that DUDE the redshirt won't matter because he will be in the league after 3 years. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2023, 10:00:31 AM »
I think redshirting is effectively obsolete for bigtime players anymore -- especially skill position players.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2023, 10:00:56 AM »
I think it's more likely that the OL is pretty good next year than it is that they suck. Our coaches seem to do a pretty good job there.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2023, 10:02:14 AM »
I guess it depends on how he feels, but yeah, probably not worth the redshirt.

Also, I think we got a good shot of getting plenty of weapons down the line. I am more worried about a new oline than anything.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2023, 10:03:12 AM »
I think redshirting is effectively obsolete for bigtime players anymore -- especially skill position players.

I don't think you should plan your season around it, but it's also not worth putting anyone into their 5th game during garbage time if they aren't a starter. Sometimes people get injured and that extra year of eligibility can be the difference between having a pro career or not having one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2023, 10:04:03 AM »
how on earth could someone watch like, two plays of Avery and think he needed to be redshirted.

good grief

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2023, 10:04:12 AM »

I don't think you should plan your season around it, but it's also not worth putting anyone into their 5th game during garbage time if they aren't a starter. Sometimes people get injured and that extra year of eligibility can be the difference between having a pro career or not having one.

Most accurate answer
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2023, 10:17:36 AM »
We need to get AJ some weapons in a bad way.  My concern is he has a brand new O-line and we lose Sinnott and Brooks for his debut next year.  Definitely needs some more biscuits.  That said, kind of looked like Jonny Football out there.  He wasn't exactly a big QB either.....

Our OL depth is ridiculously deep and Tre Spivey looks like he could be a #1 receiver as early as next season. RJ Garcia is a sophomore.

I don't know what the fascination is with this board and Avery's weight. Y'all have beat the word biscuits to death, it stopped being clever years ago. He's one game into his freshman year at college, he'll be fine, we don't need to mention it every day.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2023, 10:26:00 AM »
I mean we haven't even seen Keagan Johnson yet and he will have Sinnot next year too. Plus with the transfer portal you are only an off season away from an elite #1 receiver.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2023, 10:50:48 AM »

Agree.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2023, 10:50:59 AM »
Maybe not on Sinnot. I think it was the 3MAW podcast that said he's already the #3 TE on Kiper's board :surprised:

Online Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2023, 10:52:26 AM »
Maybe not on Sinnot. I think it was the 3MAW podcast that said he's already the #3 TE on Kiper's board :surprised:

The Athletic's guy had him at No. 2...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2023, 10:53:35 AM »
He gone

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2023, 11:10:52 AM »
I feel really good about our WR's. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2023, 11:13:34 AM »

Sure.  If all else is equal, you might as well put in Rubley or Knuth or Lara (!!) in for mop up duty against Kansas or whomever if Avery's been in 4 games already.  But if we actually legit need to put in our backup qb for any meaningful snaps, I hope it's Avery (assuming coaches believe he's the second best option we've got).

Point is, if Avery is our answer at QB next year (and currently the second best option we have at QB), then we probably shouldn't be banking on him being around for his RS Senior season.  Making decisions today based on who is going to be our QB in 2027 just seems too far off anymore.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2023, 11:15:33 AM »

Our OL depth is ridiculously deep and Tre Spivey looks like he could be a #1 receiver as early as next season. RJ Garcia is a sophomore.

I don't know what the fascination is with this board and Avery's weight. Y'all have beat the word biscuits to death, it stopped being clever years ago. He's one game into his freshman year at college, he'll be fine, we don't need to mention it every day.

BISCUITS

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2023, 11:16:45 AM »

Yeah, Avery's weight doesn't concern me in the slightest, tbh.  He's already got all the physical tools he needs to play QB.  I think really the only reason to put more weight on him is for durability purposes, and I'm not really sure how much value there is in that anyway.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2023, 11:18:45 AM »
He needs to stay skinny so he’s max fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2023, 11:50:53 AM »
He needs to stay skinny so he’s max fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of sensible injections along with some biscuits could allow him to be max fast and bigger  :dunno:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2023, 11:56:21 AM »
Everyone is talking like Will is definitely gone after this season. Is he on any mock drafts? I can't see him transferring.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2023, 11:57:33 AM »
Everyone is talking like Will is definitely gone after this season. Is he on any mock drafts? I can't see him transferring.
Who is talking like that? I assume he'll be back

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2023, 11:58:50 AM »
I think Will probably goes pro. He's going to have a monster season.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »
Who is talking like that? I assume he'll be back

Everyone. I mentioned this in my post.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2023, 12:02:52 PM »
I thought it's will's senior season?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite