Author Topic: Supreme Court Cases Thread  (Read 29584 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Cases Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2022, 05:10:52 PM »
so the only potential recourse would be to impeach a sitting Justice...i guess my question would be "is lying during your confirmation hearing an impeachable offense?"

I am not joking when I say that if decision comes down as expected, the Supreme Court just tazed their balls off. eff around and find out kinda stuff.

This.  Knowing that the SC is a partisan group of hacks who lie will have an effect on all levels of appellate law.  and holy crap when unhealthy shits like Alito and Thomas pass watch out for justices Kalen and Ellen if there is a dem in the WH.  They literally turned it into the House

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »
so the only potential recourse would be to impeach a sitting Justice...i guess my question would be "is lying during your confirmation hearing an impeachable offense?"

I am not joking when I say that if decision comes down as expected, the Supreme Court just tazed their balls off. eff around and find out kinda stuff.

They tazed their balls off with the original Roe decision.

You mean the one you've never read?

Can you explain to me again why Biden's employer vaccine mandate will be found constitutional again?

The one that this Court found unconstitutional? Or the government employees one? Thanks for admitting you found Roe wrongly decided without having actually read it, btw.

Roe was wrongly decided. I don't have to read the decision if the conclusion it reached was wrong.

Regardless, there are plenty of legal scholars that think Roe was poorly reasoned and there are many in favor of the conclusion that believe it was poorly reasoned. That's enough for me to conclude it was poorly reasoned, especially given that I think the conclusion it reached was wrong.

Here's a version you can read for free. Don't take my or anyone else's word for it. Read it for yourself! https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/410/113

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2022, 06:45:40 PM »
I’d need to check the transcript, but assuming there is apparent perjury and Congress doesn’t look to impeach one of the new guys then we should just abolish confirmation hearings.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2022, 09:05:04 PM »
Ol' Uncle Rukus ass

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2022, 11:43:52 AM »
Ridiculous

John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Sonia Sotomayor, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett -- are Catholic.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2022, 12:21:10 PM »
Protestants don’t read.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2022, 06:50:54 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2022, 07:20:03 PM »
Matt Bruenig made a point that I don’t think has been appreciated much yet and that is the 6-3 majority is likely to be extremely durable now that strategic retirement is just completely baked in the cake for republicans as it would take like 3-4 straight presidential elections to guarantee getting a seat back for dems.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2022, 07:36:11 PM »
i don't think people are actually that good at predicting either of when they'll no longer want to work or when they'll die.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2022, 07:43:11 PM »
Matt Bruenig made a point that I don’t think has been appreciated much yet and that is the 6-3 majority is likely to be extremely durable now that strategic retirement is just completely baked in the cake for republicans as it would take like 3-4 straight presidential elections to guarantee getting a seat back for dems.

I don't think I've said this yet in my countless conversations I've had about this lately (I'm pissed), but if I know John Roberts (I do), and were I John Roberts (I'm not), I would announce my retirement during this session and allow Biden to break serve.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2022, 08:33:26 PM »
Roberts is the only one who isn’t hyper partisan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2022, 12:16:04 AM »
i don't think people are actually that good at predicting either of when they'll no longer want to work or when they'll die.

Agreed

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2022, 12:16:39 AM »
Roberts is the only one who isn’t hyper partisan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How exactly did you determine this?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2022, 06:47:10 AM »
Yeah, in hindsight, pretty obvious that they were itching to do this.

https://twitter.com/irin/status/1523486887834701824

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2022, 08:04:17 AM »
I would be scared shitless 24/7 to be on the Supreme Court. A bullet to the head is pretty cheap and there have to be people out there considering it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2022, 10:36:41 AM »
Yeah, in hindsight, pretty obvious that they were itching to do this.

https://twitter.com/irin/status/1523486887834701824

comey and kav were all they needed to cert this thing.  I think the R v. W questions should have been a little more exhaustive

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2022, 03:27:48 PM »
@Dr Rick Daris now on several federal watchlists...

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2022, 05:20:19 PM »
I consider myself pro life but I don’t believe in completely banning abortion.

If I were the philosopher king I’d probably make abortion legal up to a few weeks before viability. Then ban it starting around 20 weeks or so, allowing exceptions where the fetus is not viable or where the mother’s health is at serious risk by continuing the pregnancy. I’d probably make an exception to that last exception in cases where the baby is far enough along it could reasonably be “birthed” just as much as it could be terminated.

All of this stuff about abortion IMO always dances around to me the real issue I have with abortion, and really more people who advocate "prolife". I get all what I'm about to say (and by the way not really directed at you, just the idea of let's philosopher king thing makes me just want to say what I think is best and what we should really work towards) is going to be a lil long, and bit straw man and ad hoc to make it work, but I'll keep it as brief as I can.

IMO my biggest beef with anti-abortion/prolife people is they never either follow through on their philosophy or provide viable alternatives to the issue at hand that basically make the idea of abortion the solution, even if it's perceived as morally heinous. Those people tend to shut down any avenue of reprieve that makes you either want to have the kid, or because having the kid will put you in the poor house, you want to prevent it.

Comprehensive sex education? Not in my school. Free/reduced contraception and education on it? It'll turn kids into fornicators. Then shame them for when they're out of wedlock and have a kid in high school or whatever. The only solution to them is sex in marriage, and abstinence outside, and anything less you're an awful person (can you tell I went to a Catholic Church growing up at this point).

Then what about actually getting the child born. Maternity/Paternity leave? Nope, get back to work, provide for that child. Childcare? Nope, should've thought of that and make enough money! Education, ugh, this little crap is causing my property taxes to rise, let's gut the education system especially since it's going to turn that kid liberal. Healthcare? Better work! Ain't nothing for free!. On and on, there is no "prolife" from many of them, it's pro birth and take care of it on your own you heathen, don't bother me with it the second the poor kid is ushered into a world that celebrates it's completion of pregnancy and curses the burden it now apparently puts on society. The only real alternative is adoption, which is good, but often leaves that kid in foster care or in a very uncertain situation, and hardly the answer for an additional 600k births/year.

If pro-lifers really were pro-life, they should do everything they can to care of the kid after it's born, and teach their sons and daughters the importance and responsibility of being a parent, and give them every tool out there to keep it from happening until the mom was ready to actually have the kid, and when she did know that by having the kid she could get some goddamn paid time off, some childcare, and an education system that will help them thrive, and some damn healthcare to care for them when they're sick regardless of their employment status. We become a better society when we secure our basic needs, not make it crush us under the weight of indifference.

That's what I'd do as the philosopher king, abortion would be legal, but I'd do everything I could to make it be the last resort, and not the resort from narrow hallways and giant hoops to jump through, but because you are armed with the things to prevent it, and even if you do want it you'll have the means to do it. Pie in the sky? Of course, but ugh it bothers me so goddamn much. I guess in summary if there was a perfect solution it'd be to somehow codify the right for a woman to get pregnant when she wants to is all I'm really looking for, with the out she can still abort even if I think that's not the answer I want.

Which is also one last thing, I do feel so many pro-birthers think pro-choice people get off somehow on having abortions, which is such a misread of the situation, but it's also only how it's presented to them.

Hello. I would like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

Seriously, so much of this resonated with me (including the Catholic part). Sometimes I wonder (a) how I survived this long on the Earth, and (b) whether I'm permanently mumped up.

For sure, hmu if you want.

Also yeah, totally still deal with a lot of things to this day
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
Looks like the courts effectively stripped us of our right to legal counsel yesterday.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »
In 2012 the court ruled that when a state court "substantially" interferes with a defendant's constitutional right to be represented by counsel, the defendant, with a new lawyer, may appeal to federal court to show that he was denied his right to effective counsel. Back then, the majority was 7-to-2, with Justice Clarence Thomas in dissent. On Monday Thomas wrote the majority decision hollowing out that 2012 ruling on behalf of the court's new six-justice conservative super majority.

He said that federal courts may not hear "new evidence" obtained after conviction to show how deficient the trial or appellate lawyer in state court was. To allow such evidence to be presented in federal court, he said, "encourages prisoners to sandbag state courts," depriving the states of "the finality that is essential to both the retributive and deterrent function of criminal law."

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/23/1100852386/supreme-court-hobbles-challenges-by-inmates-based-on-bad-legal-representation

I'm really not sure if Thomas is actually this stupid or if there is some sort of benefit to him if innocent people have to stay in prison or get put to death.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »
In 2012 the court ruled that when a state court "substantially" interferes with a defendant's constitutional right to be represented by counsel, the defendant, with a new lawyer, may appeal to federal court to show that he was denied his right to effective counsel. Back then, the majority was 7-to-2, with Justice Clarence Thomas in dissent. On Monday Thomas wrote the majority decision hollowing out that 2012 ruling on behalf of the court's new six-justice conservative super majority.

He said that federal courts may not hear "new evidence" obtained after conviction to show how deficient the trial or appellate lawyer in state court was. To allow such evidence to be presented in federal court, he said, "encourages prisoners to sandbag state courts," depriving the states of "the finality that is essential to both the retributive and deterrent function of criminal law."

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/23/1100852386/supreme-court-hobbles-challenges-by-inmates-based-on-bad-legal-representation

I'm really not sure if Thomas is actually this stupid or if there is some sort of benefit to him if innocent people have to stay in prison or get put to death.

Yeah this is unreal dumb!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2022, 11:58:07 AM »
Yeah, why attempt to get found not guilty and go home when you can sandbag the court in a years-long appeal process to get your conviction overturned later?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2022, 12:06:35 PM »
He has to be a real functioning moron with that reasoning.