Author Topic: critical race theory  (Read 12025 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: critical race theory
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2021, 07:22:27 PM »
Google says 30%+ of the confederacy which is shockingly high to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »

Seems high

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
critical race theory
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2021, 07:48:09 PM »
Joe confederate did not own a slave but would absolutely fight and die for Jeb confederate right to.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2021, 07:50:42 PM »
The economic value of slaves in antebellum America was unthinkable today.

There’s nothing that compares today

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2021, 07:52:57 PM »
This is really worth a watch. First 15 minutes

https://www.pbs.org/video/underground-railroad-william-still-story-underground-railroad-william-still-story/

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »

Seems high

Keep in mind they’re like mostly related, so if you calculated it based on family ownership it’s not surprising at all.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »

Seems high

Because you don't want to think the embarrassing tentacles of slavery reached that deep into the country?

30% doesn't seem high to me at all, there were a much higher percentage of citizens who were land owners and there wasn't as wide of a variance of wealth distribution.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2021, 09:07:40 PM »
Supposedly, at the time of the Civil War, there was something like 6 million ppl in the south that were free and something like 4million slaves.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »

Seems high

Because you don't want to think the embarrassing tentacles of slavery reached that deep into the country?

30% doesn't seem high to me at all, there were a much higher percentage of citizens who were land owners and there wasn't as wide of a variance of wealth distribution.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2021, 10:37:27 PM »
When people say you can’t teach about slavery in schools - is that a thing?  I went to catholic schools growing up, so i imagine our courses weren’t exactly aligned with the prevailing state curriculum in some respects, but we definitely learned about slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, civil rights movement, etc.

Are public schools not touching those topics?

You were not taught about slavery, you were made aware of its existence.
Yeah, most of the slavery I was taught about in school was the Underground Railroad and Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, civil war, Lincoln, etc. Some focus on the cotton fields and plantations, but mostly about escaping or singing and things that minimized the horror.

What's sad is there is a lot of history in Kansas that could be discussed in schools. At K-State I heard a speaker talk about how one route ran through Topeka and it was very interesting. I learned from my parents about a house in a nearby town that was a stop. I don't know how that could have been overlooked in the schools from where I was growing up. It's likely the teachers I had didn't know about it given how little it's discussed.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2021, 10:53:47 PM »
When people say you can’t teach about slavery in schools - is that a thing?  I went to catholic schools growing up, so i imagine our courses weren’t exactly aligned with the prevailing state curriculum in some respects, but we definitely learned about slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, civil rights movement, etc.

Yeah, most of the slavery I was taught about in school was the Underground Railroad and Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, civil war, Lincoln, etc. Some focus on the cotton fields and plantations, but mostly about escaping or singing and things that minimized the horror.

What's sad is there is a lot of history in Kansas that could be discussed in schools. At K-State I heard a speaker talk about how one route ran through Topeka and it was very interesting. I learned from my parents about a house in a nearby town that was a stop. I don't know how that could have been overlooked in the schools from where I was growing up. It's likely the teachers I had didn't know about it given how little it's discussed.

They definitely spoke a lot about Kansas in my experience

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2021, 11:09:15 PM »

I think my point is that focusing curriculum on the Underground Railroad portion of slavery is a great way way to focus on sympathetic whites and free blacks rather than the horrific reality.  I mean, it’s cool there was a stop in Kansas, but…
:adios:

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2021, 11:16:14 PM »

I think my point is that focusing curriculum on the Underground Railroad portion of slavery is a great way way to focus on sympathetic whites and free blacks rather than the horrific reality.  I mean, it’s cool there was a stop in Kansas, but…

I guess I was upset that our focus was strictly on the war aspect. There was a mention of slaves, Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglas, but they were glossed over for the most part. I wish more time had been devoted to other things than just the war. Having some of that history right in your backyard seems like a way to make the connection for students.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2021, 11:52:09 PM »
Supposedly, at the time of the Civil War, there was something like 6 million ppl in the south that were free and something like 4million slaves.
South Carolina slave population was 1.5x white population in 1860. Primarily driven by the rice trade.  Learned that on tour of Ft Sumter and Charleston.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2021, 05:36:50 AM »

I feel like I had a pretty fair grasp on what it was - at least by high school.  I can see 8man’s point about kids only being taught certain elements (I.e. the heroic stories of the resistance and ultimate end) of it though. 

To the extent anyone is saying DO NOT TEACH ABOUT THE HORRORS OF [slavery/Reconstruction/Jim Crow] I think we can all agree that that is absurd. 

That’s part of where my confusion lies, because a lot of what is being discussed as CRT ITT is stuff I was taught 15 years ago in high school, and the curriculum didn’t seem like it was controversial.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
CRT is being made into a boogeyman that the right is using to cancel the things they don’t want kids to learn about.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »
CRT is being made into a boogeyman that the right is using to cancel the things they don’t want kids to learn about.

duh.  It is the caravan

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »

Correct, and it's been well-documented, including in this very thread. It's out in the open. Raise the specter of something most white conservatives have never heard of, and then pack all manner of race-based discussions into the bag and set it on fire.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2021, 12:44:46 PM »

Correct, and it's been well-documented, including in this very thread. It's out in the open. Raise the specter of something most white conservatives have never heard of, and then pack all manner of race-based discussions into the bag and set it on fire.

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1371541044592996352

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2021, 02:38:27 PM »

Seems high

This is unreadable, homie.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2021, 02:53:28 PM »

I feel like I had a pretty fair grasp on what it was - at least by high school.  I can see 8man’s point about kids only being taught certain elements (I.e. the heroic stories of the resistance and ultimate end) of it though. 

To the extent anyone is saying DO NOT TEACH ABOUT THE HORRORS OF [slavery/Reconstruction/Jim Crow] I think we can all agree that that is absurd. 

That’s part of where my confusion lies, because a lot of what is being discussed as CRT ITT is stuff I was taught 15 years ago in high school, and the curriculum didn’t seem like it was controversial.

Part of that is due to how superficial the complaints are, they aren't specific and lack focus. The 1619 Project and CRT have been targeted by conservatives for the sake of culture wars and creating bogeymen to make people scared and uncomfortable, a fundraising ploy as old as time. These arguments aren't anything different than "don't blame us for slavery," something I've heard as long as I can remember. I think for common folks, it's uncomfortable to talk about slavery, and most white people don't have to deal with black people on a day to day basis, so why talk about slavery.

For us, the point of 1619 and to an extent CRT, how we've been taught about slavery is woefully inadequate. Most slavery education ends with the emancipation proclamation and that's very inadequate. The fact that most of you people are just now leaning of Juneteenth is evidence of this. I was largely educated in Kansas but I was born in and my entire extended family are from Oklahoma. I learned about Juneteenth at the Ralph Ellison Library when I was 8 years old in 1984.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
The fact that most of you people are just now leaning of Juneteenth is evidence of this.

this isn't accurate is it?  like i don't recall when i first heard about juneteenth, but i'm reasonably confident that i accurately recall juneteenth celebrations in long's park in like the 90s or so.  so probably at least 25-30 years ago.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2021, 03:47:47 PM »
The fact that most of you people are just now leaning of Juneteenth is evidence of this.

this isn't accurate is it?  like i don't recall when i first heard about juneteenth, but i'm reasonably confident that i accurately recall juneteenth celebrations in long's park in like the 90s or so.  so probably at least 25-30 years ago.

I had learned of it before, but not until I came across the Juneteenth Celebration in Manhattan City Park when I was in graduate school.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2021, 03:51:21 PM »
we can pin down the date from whenever it moved from long's park to city park as the year it went big time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2021, 03:52:07 PM »
I admit to just learning about Juneteenth recently