Author Topic: critical race theory  (Read 12323 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: critical race theory
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »
Dax what are your thoughts on states banning the teaching of CRT?

My thoughts are that we live in a constitutional Republic and states have powers.

StarSeed aka ProgFascist.7, please walk myself and the rest of us through why you support CRT in Public Education.  Please be specific.

Also, please join me in strongly condemning the Stasi tactics of CRT supporter parents.  Please affirm below your total condemnation of these types of things.
There was a series of school board meeting here in Manhattan where a bunch of people read the Bible and yelled about Marxism, although mileage may vary that seems to be a bit more representative than what you are claiming.

That's fantastic KK, but I'm not talking about the bible or school board meetings per se.  I'm leaning more towards the proclivity of ProgFascists to make lists.   Lots of lists being made of anyone who isn't down with the CRT struggle.
It is now becoming an issue in every school board race which is probably not great for furthering any understanding of what it is for most people not posting on gE.
The origins of critical race theory, founded in critical theory are a worthy and appropriate discussion. 

Anyone who says otherwise is either blissfully unaware or purposely trying to avoid the discussion. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2021, 06:00:20 PM »
IMO they should call it something like “un-whitewashed history” or just “history”

When Pluto got kicked out of the solar system it’s not like they called it “dwarf planetary theory” or something. It was just “oops, guess we were looking at it wrong, update the textbooks plz”

So we're still going to do the thing where we're still telling black people what to call things?
Are you talking about calling Pluto a planet? Or are you telling me CRT is a term promulgated by the black community?

I'm completely disinterested in getting cute with you or anyone else with regard to this topic.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2021, 06:08:32 AM »
When people say you can’t teach about slavery in schools - is that a thing?  I went to catholic schools growing up, so i imagine our courses weren’t exactly aligned with the prevailing state curriculum in some respects, but we definitely learned about slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, civil rights movement, etc.

Are public schools not touching those topics? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »

When people say you can’t teach about slavery in schools

Who says that?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2021, 08:46:39 AM »
When people say you can’t teach about slavery in schools - is that a thing?  I went to catholic schools growing up, so i imagine our courses weren’t exactly aligned with the prevailing state curriculum in some respects, but we definitely learned about slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, civil rights movement, etc.

They are, but now that is all being called critical race theory and a lot of school boards are banning it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
critical race theory
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:29 AM »

I think that in some districts they still teach that the Civil War was about states rights. When the Texas legislature is done this session, huge swathes of the country may have their textbooks reflecting some pretty wild notions about US history because Texas and California effectively control the textbook market for everyone else.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2021, 09:11:39 AM »
I'm old as eff and don't really remember the specifics of what was taught in school but I'm pretty sure we never really focused on the lasting impact of racism and Jim Crow even if we were taught that it happened.

I think that's a pretty important subject to hit on.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
I'm old as eff and don't really remember the specifics of what was taught in school but I'm pretty sure we never really focused on the lasting impact of racism and Jim Crow even if we were taught that it happened.

I think that's a pretty important subject to hit on.

yeah, same

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
critical race theory
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2021, 10:18:16 AM »
There’s lots and lots of textbooks that completely whitewash slavery, civil war etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/02/what-kids-are-really-learning-about-slavery/552098/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:21:28 AM by Cire »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »
being from ks I recall about 30% of history class being president/general eisenhower dick sucking

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2021, 10:52:32 AM »
For HS History iirc we focused on early US history alot and really didn't cover anything after WWI in depth. Definitely included a lot of the shitty things done to native populations and to slaves and how ever so slowly our democracy became more inclusive. But I'm going off of my memory of 1 class in particular, basically more recent history was covered briefly at lower levels iirc or also in Civics class.

We didn't cover much of Europe at all outside of WWII. It's weird to me that your school covered WWI and not WWII.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2021, 01:14:48 PM »
Mid '90's NE KS.  We covered slavery quite a bit.  It was noted to be the reason for the Civil War.  We discussed slavery conditions, slave boats, auction block sales, families sold away from each other, the Underground Railroad, etc.  We discussed Jim Crow, but only to touch on separate but equal as an intro to MLK and the Civil Rights movement. 

We discussed the history of it.  We touched on the racism of it during Jim Crow and Civil Rights, but not during pre CW time.  We also didn't really dive in to the racism part.  It was treated as a given. 

The examination of our systems as a structure that continues to disadvantage minorities never came up.  Thinking of that topic, I kinda think of it as I do the WWI and WWII mentions ITT in that it sounds so rough ridin' big, you probably can't do much with it in a high school class unless it's the entire class.  That said, it should be introduced, IMO, as part of the Civil Rights discussion.  I mean, when I was young, I had no idea what statistical differences some of our systems hold for minorities vs white.  Racism just felt like a person to person thing.  Like, some kids are racist, and that's stupid.  I don't think the avg kid is mentally applying that forward in to our government, systems, and social infrastructures.  It would be a good thing to get your average highschooler some of that info at a minimum.   

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »
I don't think my school did a very good job of demonstrating just how recent the 1960s were to teenagers in 2000. I always had it in my mind that this stuff was awful, but in the distant past. Never put it together that a whole lot of people were still alive that actually went through it.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »
Isn't the rub vs CRT the assertion that the US and Western systems themselves were and are inherently designed and used to keep certain types of people down, and thusly must be significantly altered or replaced?

Couldn't this same theory be applied to basically any system of laws, government, or societal structuring throughout history?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2021, 01:47:26 PM »
That sounds like whaddabouting

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2021, 01:50:03 PM »
Mid '90's NE KS.  We covered slavery quite a bit.  It was noted to be the reason for the Civil War.  We discussed slavery conditions, slave boats, auction block sales, families sold away from each other, the Underground Railroad, etc.  We discussed Jim Crow, but only to touch on separate but equal as an intro to MLK and the Civil Rights movement. 

We discussed the history of it.  We touched on the racism of it during Jim Crow and Civil Rights, but not during pre CW time.  We also didn't really dive in to the racism part.  It was treated as a given. 

The examination of our systems as a structure that continues to disadvantage minorities never came up.  Thinking of that topic, I kinda think of it as I do the WWI and WWII mentions ITT in that it sounds so rough ridin' big, you probably can't do much with it in a high school class unless it's the entire class.  That said, it should be introduced, IMO, as part of the Civil Rights discussion.  I mean, when I was young, I had no idea what statistical differences some of our systems hold for minorities vs white.  Racism just felt like a person to person thing.  Like, some kids are racist, and that's stupid.  I don't think the avg kid is mentally applying that forward in to our government, systems, and social infrastructures.  It would be a good thing to get your average highschooler some of that info at a minimum.

Similar.  I remember we definitely covered the supreme court cases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
Isn't the rub vs CRT the assertion that the US and Western systems themselves were and are inherently designed and used to keep certain types of people down, and thusly must be significantly altered or replaced?

Couldn't this same theory be applied to basically any system of laws, government, or societal structuring throughout history?

Sure. And also sure enough, every system of laws, government, or societal structuring throughout history was eventually replaced by something better.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
critical race theory
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »
That’s why I don’t think it needs to be presented as a novel thing. Anyone who spends like a little bit of time actually thinking about it should be able to tell that the same system oppressing minorities during the civil rights movement had significant influence over a lot of the history books about the civil rights movement.

My history class practically ended at the civil rights movement as if everything after was like “the present age.”

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2021, 05:10:29 PM »

You were not taught about slavery, you were made aware of its existence.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2021, 05:11:06 PM »

When people say you can’t teach about slavery in schools

Who says that?

Republicans

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2021, 05:37:50 PM »

You were not taught about slavery, you were made aware of its existence.
Yeah, most of the slavery I was taught about in school was the Underground Railroad and Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, civil war, Lincoln, etc. Some focus on the cotton fields and plantations, but mostly about escaping or singing and things that minimized the horror.
:adios:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »
ksu cat history prof Chuck Sanders didn’t leave much out iirc
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2021, 06:19:58 PM »
Most slavery education is taught to make white people the saviors

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
Question I had… probably Google-able, but may spark conversation.  Did average Jeb white guy own slaves in say, 1820, or was it just rich landowners?  Like did 5% of white guys own slaves? 30%? 90%?

I honestly have no idea the answer to this, which speaks to my education on slavery at a top flight Kansas public school.
:adios: