Author Topic: critical race theory  (Read 12275 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: critical race theory
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »

My gawd you’ve turned into a massive dork

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2021, 02:02:28 PM »
when you learned about slavery in school I'm 100% certain that it was presented as if slavery ended with the emancipation proclamation. I don't recall any discussion with regard to black people and slavery when we talked about reconstruction, do you? Gilded Age, Industrial Revolution? Any of that, more?

i was raised in mhk, so i got a very pro-union, redemption of america thanks to john brown and kansas type spin on the civil war. but you're right, it was all very chapterized.  as i recall it, black people showed around 1840, evidencing an unfortunate problem that was soon solved and by 1870 or so we were back to railroads, political cartoons and minor wars.  black people maybe made a cameo here or there in unfortunate excesses or historic firsts until 1950 or so when the supreme court, mlk and the kennedys finally solved racism.

I taught high school US History for 11 years and I tried my best to present history in a way where my students could see that it did not occur in a vacuum.  That it's not just a series of unrelated events or separate chapters in a book.  The real problem is that to cover everything the Standards require there is only really time for a birds eye view going from each major historical event to the next. So what I TRIED to do was to show how those seemingly unrelated chapters were actually very much tied together.  For example when discussing the ratification of the constitution spending a lot of time on the Compromises to show how that set the stage for the Civil War and pitted north and south against each other even from the beginning of our country. Or the failure of reconstruction leading to the Great Migration which eventually led to the Civil Rights Movement.  Plus I gave essay tests to make sure they understood the nuances of the subject instead of dates/names/etc.  even though they SUCKED to grade.  Basically what I'm saying is that I was a great teacher.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2021, 04:16:34 PM »
Kansas state standards don’t have any content written in.

They are incredibly vague

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2021, 04:16:45 PM »
For social studies

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2021, 06:26:46 PM »
There is some suggested content but you're right they are very vague.  My districts always had district wide curriculum tied to the standards that we had to follow.  And my last 4 years of teaching was in Missouri.  You should see Missouri's standards, I still don't understand what they were.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2021, 08:37:26 PM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »
Teaching both would be correct.

Framing as to what extent was brown v board successful?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
critical race theory
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2021, 09:07:42 PM »
I think I agree.

It’s getting hard to remember that long ago, but I distinctly remember learning in my history class that the Emancipation Proclamation freed practically no slaves and that schools didn’t become desegregated until a long time after Brown v. BOE (pretty sure everyone learned about the national guard being called into Alabama). I think most classes were already given that context.

I take the comic to suggest a more nuanced approach, which is rather than view history through the sensational milestones (which we already agree aren’t the true pivotal moments), we should examine how the intent of such laws has actually played out over time. The problem is figuring out just how to do that without overgeneralizing given it’s a HS (or grade school?) class.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »
The left panel is riffed from Rockwell's "The Problem We All Live With" depiction of Ruby Bridges in New Orleans in 1960.

https://aarongalleries.com/product/the-problem-we-all-live-with-ruby-bridges/

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/ruby-bridges

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »
Heard a stat on the news today:

Black wealth during the Civil War accounted for 0.5% of the nation’s wealth

Now, black wealth accounts for 1.5% of the nation’s wealth.

From what I have been reading a large component of CRT is our systems intentionally or unintentionally working against minorities over time. I mean, the black communities’ wealth has only increased 1% of National wealth over 160 years and from slavery to no slavery. That’s rough ridin' insane. If that isn’t a perfect stat to represent the failure of our systems, I can’t think of one.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2021, 07:10:03 PM »
Heard a stat on the news today:

Black wealth during the Civil War accounted for 0.5% of the nation’s wealth

Now, black wealth accounts for 1.5% of the nation’s wealth.

From what I have been reading a large component of CRT is our systems intentionally or unintentionally working against minorities over time. I mean, the black communities’ wealth has only increased 1% of National wealth over 160 years and from slavery to no slavery. That’s rough ridin' insane. If that isn’t a perfect stat to represent the failure of our systems, I can’t think of one.

Do you have the other stats so I can put this in context? Seems incomplete. For example, an enterprising lede writer could say, "Black wealth has TRIPLED relative to the rest of the population ...." I'm not familiar with this particular metric.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
Unfortunately I don’t. I will go back and see where they got that and what else there is.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2021, 07:50:47 PM »

I wouldn't consider that 'teaching CRT'.  That's just teaching history.  I don't know of any high school history teachers who would teach that Brown V. Board happened and then magically schools immediately integrated successfully.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2021, 08:07:44 PM »

I wouldn't consider that 'teaching CRT'.  That's just teaching history.  I don't know of any high school history teachers who would teach that Brown V. Board happened and then magically schools immediately integrated successfully.

This is what I was getting at in trying to communicate my confusion about CRT. It seems, to me, like just teaching actual history from an honest viewpoint. I don't understand the controversy. The "Whiteness" and "Anti-racism" stuff and the like are obviously just arbitrage/subterfuge.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2021, 08:47:04 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2021, 09:10:02 PM »
First, those prefatory clauses are lol, such as "Whereas America is the best country in the world ... " and " ... important American ideals."

Second, the NU BoR might be "opposed" to CRT, but thanks to the First Amendment, there is something called Academic Freedom in (public) post-secondary education. Thus, this can be nothing more than a highly postured furrowed brow to professors. Teach away.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2021, 09:11:56 PM »
The obvious solution to stuff like that is to convince the Republican delegates to define CRT in the same boogey man terms people like Tucker Carlson use. Then all you get is a ban on teaching kids that the whites should be systematically exterminated.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2021, 09:11:58 PM »

This is what I was getting at in trying to communicate my confusion about CRT. It seems, to me, like just teaching actual history from an honest viewpoint. I don't understand the controversy. The "Whiteness" and "Anti-racism" stuff and the like are obviously just arbitrage/subterfuge.
Detractors say that this teaching makes kids hate America and hate themselves for being white.

Anti racism is a real movement though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2021, 09:14:37 PM »

Detractors say that this teaching makes kids hate America and hate themselves for being white.

Anti racism is a real movement though.

I am familiar with the stupid strawman arguments, including the grouping together of anti-racism with CRT in order to discredit both. Folks, do not let your hearts be troubled.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »
What kind of watered down bullshit have they been teaching you too cool for schoolers?

We got the full Monty on slavery, Jim Crowe and the like.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »
As a current event?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2021, 09:46:27 PM »
As a current event?

Let's first recognize that your movement now states that anyone who disagrees with your ideology is a racist, and then we can work our way from there.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
Kind of weird to respond to a joke about being old with "oh yeah? Well I'm racist too!" but also hilariously on brand
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2021, 09:53:28 PM »
Kind of weird to respond to a joke about being old with "oh yeah? Well I'm racist too!" but also hilariously on brand

You responding stupidly to everything is also very on brand.

Join me in recognizing and fully acknowledging that your movement classifies anything less than 100% agreement with your dogma as racist.   Respond below with your agreement to this fact.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2021, 10:22:02 PM »
What kind of watered down bullshit have they been teaching you too cool for schoolers?

We got the full Monty on slavery, Jim Crowe and the like.

Yeah, it is taught so well that the proponents of the teaching confuse a black minstrel performer with an Australian actor who played Gladiator.