Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32837 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2022, 01:16:55 PM »
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2022/4/20/k-state-athletics-announces-academic-incentive-award-program.aspx

About rough ridin' time. Had to get Myers outta rough ridin' here and to get bullied by ESPN to do some crap we should have been doing years ago.

The NCAA started allowing this 2 years ago and the Supreme Court ruling was last year. We got exposed, that's why this is being announced now. We didn't announce details of what we're doing, hopefully won't be the bullshit that flood aggie is doing.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33684066/only-21-130-ncaa-fbs-level-schools-say-plans-provide-allowed-academic-bonus-payments-athletes-year

What's Flood Aggie doing?

Pretty similar to what Houstoncat posted, but instead of holding 75% for graduation, like we are, they hold the entire thing. I hate it, I hate holding any of it.

The incentive is the money, there shouldn't be any additional incentive to graduate, and frankly it won't be an incentive, it's just a way to be cheap assholes. If an athlete is an academic all-American for two years, then as a junior in their given sport, they get the opportunity to compete as a professional who really thinks the $13,000 that the AD is holding us going to be an incentive for anything? If anything it provides other schools to use that as a negative talking point in recruiting. We were just in a recruiting battle with Stanford, and lost, for Mudia Reuben. Do we really want schools like Stanford to tell recruits that we want to pressure good students to stay in school other than pursuing professional opportunities when the time comes?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2022/4/20/k-state-athletics-announces-academic-incentive-award-program.aspx

About rough ridin' time. Had to get Myers outta rough ridin' here and to get bullied by ESPN to do some crap we should have been doing years ago.

The NCAA started allowing this 2 years ago and the Supreme Court ruling was last year. We got exposed, that's why this is being announced now. We didn't announce details of what we're doing, hopefully won't be the bullshit that flood aggie is doing.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33684066/only-21-130-ncaa-fbs-level-schools-say-plans-provide-allowed-academic-bonus-payments-athletes-year

What's Flood Aggie doing?

They are holding all the bonus money until a student graduates.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2022, 04:30:17 PM »
The Athletic has a good article on A&M and how NIL is working.  There's a summary quote about NIL.

According to some of the athletic department’s fundraisers, the money didn’t really start rolling in for the capital campaign until it became apparent that Texas A&M was putting together the No. 1 recruiting class for the class of 2022. That’s what the group finds hilarious. The outside world thought NIL money alone bought Texas A&M a recruiting class. In reality, that class probably bought the Aggies a new indoor facility.

“If people were mad about Texas A&M and NIL before, wait until they hear about $88 million raised,” Bjork told the donors. “Wait until they hear about $235 million in facilities.”
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2022, 04:34:38 PM »
Here is the link if you're interested.                                                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                                 https://theathletic.com/3273847/2022/04/27/texas-am-aggies-collective-donors-centennial-campaign-fundraising-kyle-field/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2022, 01:42:44 AM »
This is what I have been saying for the last 20 years.  This is a great article by Ubben.

https://theathletic.com/3289588/2022/05/02/college-football-nil-transfer-portal/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2022, 08:54:41 PM »
NIL and that playyaar money are here to stay and it's getting bigger with time.                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                                                                    https://theathletic.com/3281954/2022/04/29/mandel-does-pay-for-play-make-you-uncomfortable-because-its-wrong-or-because-its-different/?source=freeweeklyemail&campaign=602288

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »
Daily Delivery: It sure didn't take long for the new NIL freedoms to spin out of control
by Tim Fitzgerald

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2022, 06:43:08 AM »
Questions Podcast: Can college sports be saved from the NIL?
by Tim Fitzgerald

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 29, 2022, 09:13:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1528067311608901632?s=20&t=dk-CiTJhc7h3MFrP3ibv1A

As I have been saying, NIL collectives are boosters giving money that is no, no with the NCAA.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2022, 02:44:49 PM »
Pony Up, Bitches! We should set a goal of $1.0MM per Player. This is essentially, the team themselves creating a collective for every player. Fans can buy an all-access pass and there will be engagement opportunities with the team and proceeds go to the team and divided evenly amongst each player.
[tweet]1540411106610614273[/tweet]?s=20&t=Omvy7tuYDA7miVC5vCmlPw

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:59:55 PM by HugeCat »

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2022, 10:46:24 PM »

Interesting name, image, likeness discussion at 15:00 minute mark. Scott Wildcat seems to think Ayoki Lee is approaching the seven-figure mark in NIL money. Deuce and Skyler are/were high six figures. I don’t know how plugged-in Scott is but interesting to say the least
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/boscoes-boys/id1361339892?i=1000567816182

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 28, 2022, 09:16:03 AM »

Interesting name, image, likeness discussion at 15:00 minute mark. Scott Wildcat seems to think Ayoki Lee is approaching the seven-figure mark in NIL money. Deuce and Skyler are/were high six figures. I don’t know how plugged-in Scott is but interesting to say the least

He has some sources within the AD. That figure for Ayoka seems high to me. She has several national NIL deals, but my understanding of these deals are that they are 5 figure deals, not 6. I wouldn't be surprised if she is approaching half a mil, but not a million.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 28, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »

He has some sources within the AD. That figure for Ayoka seems high to me. She has several national NIL deals, but my understanding of these deals are that they are 5 figure deals, not 6. I wouldn't be surprised if she is approaching half a mil, but not a million.
He mentioned Dick’s, Bose, and Turbo Tax as national deals that in combination with local money put her close if not eventually at seven figures. Maybe he was counting cents in the 7

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »

He mentioned Dick’s, Bose, and Turbo Tax as national deals that in combination with local money put her close if not eventually at seven figures. Maybe he was counting cents in the 7

Yeah, I hadn't heard about Dick's. Turbo Tax was actually H&R Block. She's also a pitch woman for Wing Stop.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2022, 06:43:54 AM »

Yeah, I hadn't heard about Dick's. Turbo Tax was actually H&R Block. She's also a pitch woman for Wing Stop.
I hear her on local radio talking about the mall.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2022, 04:34:29 PM »
Just heard from 365 Sports podcast that TTU has a collective that is paying 100 FB players $25,000. this season, starting in August with monthly payments.  That may be why they have a highly rated recruiting class.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2022, 07:11:36 PM »
I'm surprised no one ITT is talking about this.  Last spring it was surprising that Tech had a top-five recruiting class.  Now we know why; it's NIL baby!  I hope our guys get something like this fall.  Not sure how NIL will go for our team.  The reason I think TTU has a great way of handling NIL, is they are paying their players monthly.  That way if someone wants to transfer, the NIL money stops for that player.  This should help curb the transfer port. Also, $25,000 per 85 scholarships and 15 walk=ons amounts to 2.5 million.  So, nothing to make light of.  When they were talking about the amount of money spent on NIL, they also mentioned that up to $300 million is spent on stadium and college compass improvements.  They are serious about being the top dog in the Big XII.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
It's meh. Their average player rating is similar to ours and like 4 other teams in the new big 12. It's a fine perk but difference making players aren't going to make their decision off of that.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 19, 2022, 12:17:11 AM »
Just googled this:
Before head coach Joey McGuire's arrival in October, Texas Tech had zero commits in its 2023 recruiting class. Now, the Red Raiders have 22, the most of any Power 5 Conference team. Tech's 2023 class is ranked eighth in the nation by 247Sports and second in the Big 12 Conference, behind only Texas.

Doesn't seem average to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2022, 12:43:58 AM »
Well, that's dated bud.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
Not exactly sure how they total the points, but I know quantity matters.  Tech only has 2 4-stars...so it's not like they are loaded with 4's and 5's.  They have 23 total commits. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 19, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
I haven't seen that tech is doing this beyond this year.