Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 36673 times)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2021, 03:13:50 PM »
My oldest kid is 15, which isn't exactly little anymore, but anyway...

He's been in North Carolina this week for the Boys ECNL National "Champions League", where 64 teams go and play in 16 round robin groups. His team won their group, and then a knock-out game today. The prize for that is he is going to St. Louis for an 8 team knock-out style tournament in two weeks.

Then he gets a week off before training for the next season starts.

This sort of seems like a lot...

Is that at the complex outside of Cary?

North of Greensboro.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
I'm taking a 14 year old to a water polo tournament in Orange County in a few weeks! And the team kinda SUCKS!!!

How big is the youth water polo scene?

It is by far more popular in California than anywhere else but it isn't a crazy big scene even here and it was really hurt by pool access during covid. There were ~16 girls' teams in the Junior Olympic Zone qualifiers which basically covered the Bay Area. Boys probably had double the number of teams because girls started playing relatively recently.

It's a really cool sport, I'm going to watch all the women's games in the Olympics. It's rough, there's room for creativity with the ball, and they have a shot clock even for little kids so it's always back and forth. I could sit and watch competitive games all afternoon.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
I'm taking a 14 year old to a water polo tournament in Orange County in a few weeks! And the team kinda SUCKS!!!

How big is the youth water polo scene?

It is by far more popular in California than anywhere else but it isn't a crazy big scene even here and it was really hurt by pool access during covid. There were ~16 girls' teams in the Junior Olympic Zone qualifiers which basically covered the Bay Area. Boys probably had double the number of teams because girls started playing relatively recently.

It's a really cool sport, I'm going to watch all the women's games in the Olympics. It's rough, there's room for creativity with the ball, and they have a shot clock even for little kids so it's always back and forth. I could sit and watch competitive games all afternoon.

It seems like a really tough sport to play. I mean, if you're trying to rest a little it's going to be pretty obvious that suddenly you're doing a back float.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2021, 03:35:59 PM »

He's been in North Carolina this week for the Boys ECNL National "Champions League", where 64 teams go and play in 16 round robin groups. His team won their group, and then a knock-out game today. The prize for that is he is going to St. Louis for an 8 team knock-out style tournament in two weeks.

Gah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is on top of the fact that there is only one other team in his league from our city (Austin). So even the rest of the year half the games are in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio + 1 trip to Oklahoma.
That is wild. I bet your kid whips ass at baseball.

Oops. I guess I didn't post the sport.

And in this photo we can see the moment where little Jimmy received his concussion.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »
When my wife goes, she doesn't know the score, but she does know how many times my kid has headed the ball.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2021, 04:02:28 PM »
playing soccer as a youngster is so much fun, wow.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2021, 05:43:25 PM »

Gah!

This is on top of the fact that there is only one other team in his league from our city (Austin). So even the rest of the year half the games are in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio + 1 trip to Oklahoma.

And in this photo we can see the moment where little Jimmy received his concussion.

lol

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2021, 07:28:36 PM »

Gah!

Ha, my bad for assuming. But I bet he whips ass at soccer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
lil sd just turned 8 and did tryouts for a new select team and made it and he starts practicing 2-3 days a week in late August going straight through winter at the indoor facility for the 2022 season. This is probably a normal thing for people who didn’t grow up in Meade Kansas but it seems pretty wild to me that they do this crap. It’s not even majors. Like, I guess you are just a baseball kid now bud. Hope you don’t burn out and do heavy drugs I guess.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2021, 01:10:53 PM »
When you were a kid did you ever for a minute think that youth coaches would be getting paid a living wage except for your HS football coach who only actually got paid to be a gym teacher and crush brews at Bullwinkles?  Well they do now!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
It sucks to see the youth sports industrial complex price so many kids out.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2021, 02:24:38 PM »
and all these clubs will say “we want multi sport athletes” right up to missing baseball workouts for a basketball game in Feb shows a lack of commitment

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »

What's your alternative?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »
lil sd just turned 8 and did tryouts for a new select team and made it and he starts practicing 2-3 days a week in late August going straight through winter at the indoor facility for the 2022 season. This is probably a normal thing for people who didn’t grow up in Meade Kansas but it seems pretty wild to me that they do this crap. It’s not even majors. Like, I guess you are just a baseball kid now bud. Hope you don’t burn out and do heavy drugs I guess.

congratulations to lil’ sd!!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
Lil sd gonna rock the baseball mullet?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 17, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »
Lil sd gonna rock the baseball mullet?
I mean, he he might

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2021, 05:24:06 PM »
Should have named him alex

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2021, 08:03:53 PM »

What's your alternative?

Well we can do one of two things that work in literally every single country in the world.

We can have the NGBs completely run the sports all the way down to the grassroots level. We are partially there anyway, I have youth sports certifications from US Soccer, USA Basketball, and USA Archery. The NGBs absolutely have influence over the sports and the ability to bring costs way down but they are profiting as well and in this country we've valued greed over equity.

Another thing that's much easier to do, again the NGBs could completely control, is to localize these sports. There is literally nothing to be gained by youth athletes playing in national or even regional events. It does nothing to develop the young athletes, it's just a cash grab for organizers and a glory grab for adults. We put that carrot in front of the kids and of course they want it but if it wasn't there the kids wouldn't be effected in any way. The cost of those national and regional competitions are supplemented through all levels and ages of the youth teams that participate in them. You can say the same thing for the uniforms and the coaches salaries, all of it completely unnecessary.

One other fix is that the professional teams really need to be running these youth sports throughout the country. We let these teams play in taxpayer funded facilities, built on land that we give the owners tax breaks on, then we have ridiculous tax code that owners use loopholes in to pay microscopic tax rates. Again pro sports teams run youth academies in every other country and those teams and owners aren't playing in taxpayer funded facilities.

It's not that we can't cut the profits out of youth sports, they've only existed for 10-20 years, it's just that, like everything else mumped up in this country tied to money, we simply don't want to.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2021, 08:07:14 PM »
When you were a kid did you ever for a minute think that youth coaches would be getting paid a living wage except for your HS football coach who only actually got paid to be a gym teacher and crush brews at Bullwinkles?  Well they do now!

I was an unpaid assistant for a paid head coach for soccer this past year. The head coach literally didn't know the rules for offside, I had to explain it to him more than once. This is the second different club we paid for that had paid coaches and in both cases they were nothing more than a parent who played a sport in high school but the parent was connected to the board.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2021, 05:28:47 PM »

That's starting a little younger than what my kids have done with soccer, but not by a lot. As a parent you become the proverbial frog in a pot of hot water. Things get ratcheted up a little at a time until you find yourself doing things that you never would have imagined that you were willing to sign up for just a few years later.

Having said that, I've seen kids have a lot of fun doing this kind of stuff. Good luck to little SD.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
I've seen what USSoccer was trying to do at the youth level from the inside since lil' SF played in the US Development Academy for a couple of years before it dissolved. And I know a bunch of kids that are playing for the Austin FC academy team. Neither of those solutions is any solution at all for the vast majority of kids.

USSoccer is a complete mess. Saying that we should let them control everything is a hilariously bad idea.

The incentives for a professional club lead them to try and find and develop the small number of kids that may turn into a professional athlete some day. If you think that the pressure to specialize is high now, wait until you see what happens when a club is truly in charge.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2021, 06:26:57 PM »
The youth sports grift is second only to the MAGA gift.

Maybe even more so but it seems like they majority of competitive sports chuds fall into the MAGA demo.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2021, 01:58:41 AM »
I've seen what USSoccer was trying to do at the youth level from the inside since lil' SF played in the US Development Academy for a couple of years before it dissolved. And I know a bunch of kids that are playing for the Austin FC academy team. Neither of those solutions is any solution at all for the vast majority of kids.

USSoccer is a complete mess. Saying that we should let them control everything is a hilariously bad idea.

The incentives for a professional club lead them to try and find and develop the small number of kids that may turn into a professional athlete some day. If you think that the pressure to specialize is high now, wait until you see what happens when a club is truly in charge.

Yeah, it was never designed with the intent that US Soccer would completely run any level of youth soccer, including the development academies, the supports were never built in place. It's why it was so easy for them to cede the development academies to MLS.

Yes, in the cases where the mls clubs are running youth soccer development the pressure to specialize is absolutely there, but that's a conflation of the issues. We were discussing how to control the cost of youth soccer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2021, 02:08:15 AM »
Honestly, parents really control what happens with their kid when it comes to spending a lot of money in youth sports and whether or not their kid specializes.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money on a sport, then don't. Almost every single sport is played competitively in middle school anyway. You spending $2000 a season on your 11 year old to compete with some suburban club team doesn't get nearly the returns you think it would. Getting reps for the kid and making sure they keep the love for the sport until they get to high school when their bodies develop is far more important than making sure they are playing in some regional tournament in a mega complex somewhere. If your kid is good as a high school athlete, they will be found. If they are good enough for some club to drool over and the kid wants to play, someone will foot that bill. If the kid isn't good enough, they aren't and that's fine too.

Yeah, the pay to play model sucks because it's just a grift at the end of the day, but the bottom line is that kids can play sports from ages 2-18 and never ever enter the play to play model and be completely fine.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile