Author Topic: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)  (Read 23702 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Journalist persecution/heroism (spinoff from The riot thread)
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
Has there ever been such a perfect fit between a tweet and a thread topic before?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2020, 10:55:56 AM »
Journalists think a journalist hooking up with the guy who price gouged a pill and bought the wu tang record is a very important story.

It's insane that this story is repeatedly in my news feed.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2020, 01:25:54 PM »
Journalists favorite thing to write and post about is journalists so it makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Journalists think a journalist hooking up with the guy who price gouged a pill and bought the wu tang record is a very important story.

It's insane that this story is repeatedly in my news feed.

Who's rough ridin' that little rat? I didn't see it. I did see an athlete say they wanted to kick his ass but I forgot which athlete it was.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
A bunch of people dogging her only kind of want to hear that wu-tang album, but she's wu-tang 4 ever.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »
Finally saw the story, if you don't think a woman leaving her husband for a rat faced crap bag in prison, only for the rat faced crap bag to dump the lady from prison via his attorney is funny and the most man bites dog story of 2020 you're just being an insufferable hater. That's an amazing story regardless of the profession of the protagonist.

There's some irony in an attorney starting this thread and constantly misapplying stories that go in it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
Finally saw the story, if you don't think a woman leaving her husband for a rat faced crap bag in prison, only for the rat faced crap bag to dump the lady from prison via his attorney is funny and the most man bites dog story of 2020 you're just being an insufferable hater. That's an amazing story regardless of the profession of the protagonist.

There's some irony in an attorney starting this thread and constantly misapplying stories that go in it.

It’s a routine story with respect to prisoners. This time the woman was a journalist.

Now on CNN’s home page:

Opinion: What the obsession with Martin Shkreli and Christie Smythe says about us
Opinion by Jill Filipovic
Updated 9:23 AM ET, Wed December 23, 2020
Jill Filipovic is a journalist based in New York

As soon as the piece hit, the internet went nuts.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/opinions/christie-smythe-martin-shkreli-elle-filipovic/index.html

You hadn’t heard of it until this thread. 7 and I heard of it because it’s bizarrely in news feeds (normally filled with news articles written by journalists), not as/for the “news” itself but as holier-than-thou screeds about the alleged journalism ethics breaches of the woman. Did “the internet” go nuts, or was it again simply that:

Journalists favorite thing to write and post about is journalists so it makes sense

and thus that’s the disproportionate content we got? And journalists in turn think/thought that their obsession with journalism is one everyone shares?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »

It’s a routine story with respect to prisoners. This time the woman was a journalist.

lol, stop, jfc. Yes, I'm certain a well to do woman leaves her comfortable life only to fall in love with a prisoner only to have him dump her using a lawyer, yeah crap happens every day :ROFL: gtfo dude

Yes, people date prisoners all the time, no crap, that's not the newsworthy part and you know it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »

lol, stop, jfc. Yes, I'm certain a well to do woman leaves her comfortable life only to fall in love with a prisoner only to have him dump her using a lawyer, yeah crap happens every day :ROFL: gtfo dude

Yes, people date prisoners all the time, no crap, that's not the newsworthy part and you know it.

OK, you're interested in the actual story.  There will probably be a lifetime movie about it, assuming there aren't already too many with the exact same plot that doing a based-on-real-life-event version would be pointless.  The story isn't what brought it into this thread - it's everything you didn't quote from my post.

If instead one of the guy's accountants had fallen for him and left her husband for him and got subsequently lol dismissed by him via counsel, it would be a big deal among accountants.  goACCOUNTING.com would be ablaze.  But none of us would know because accountants' internal industry talk doesn't - because they're not already plugged in for their words to be mass-produced due to their job responsibilities - get distributed to the rest of us as news or matters of public interest or even interesting gossip.

It's undeniable that journalists have more interest in stories that involve journalists or their industry than an identical story that has no journalism tie-in.  It's natural to want to feel that one's own field and the work they do is more important than others, and that one in turn carries a higher value.  And it's OK for everyone to be cognizant of that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
Journalists inevitably have to write stories about other journalists, the relevance of which, is in the eye of the beholder, just like every other story covered by every single person who has written or spoken words in the history of the world. There is some irony in the insistence that every article written by a journalist is only written because the subject is a journalist.

You tried to emphasize your point by linking a think piece about this rat faced shitbag story as if you couldn't find a think piece about every subject ever. There were think pieces written about K-State fans twitter reaction to a football coach being hired. The existence of a think piece about this is proof of nothing other than its the internet age and there are tens of thousands of journalism majors who graduate every year.

The story was funny, you misapplied it to this thread, it's okay we all miss sometimes

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2020, 04:51:49 PM »
I've put a disclaimer in the thread title to avoid any more confusion.  The original title was insincere from day one.

media navel gazing

I'm keeping my thread title, but yes, that's what this thread is for.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :ROFL:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The replies are amazing

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
:adios:

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Every?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Every?

I mean there's no way OAN or newsmax are out there, so yea, every.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm sure some of the images are coming directly from the magas.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm sure some of the images are coming directly from the magas.

Not journos though. Did you not see the video of the thugs in the Capitol asking people with cameras who they are with?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So one of the 15 people arrested was a reporter from the local newspaper, wearing a credential? lol, bang up crap, 12.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Should social media professionals' self-declared triumphs (even if those triumphs are simply a reflection of people's long-existing interest in the subject matter) be included in this thread or one of its own?