Author Topic: Journalist persecution/heroism (lol, thread is re: journalist self-importance)  (Read 23431 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Journalist persecution/heroism (spinoff from The riot thread)
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »
There is zero expectation of privacy in public. How is it any different than the hundreds of camera phones capturing video?

Sounds like Trump's bogus "executive privilege" defense to everything. Just because the press and the Executive sometimes have special privileges does not mean they are entirely exempt from complying with legal process.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
I don’t really understand the rationale behind protecting video/photographic footage taken in public.

The issue isn't about the right of privacy of those photographed in public, the issue/problem is what you feel like is and what should be protected information gathered by the media. The fear of media attorneys and watch dog groups is if this is allowed, what's to stop the police from getting information about a source if that source said something publicly, or wherever these slippery slope conversations end up. The media, like attorneys, clergy, doctors, counselors, etc. receive privileged information. There are plenty of people who think that unreleased footage should fall under that privileged umbrella.

The fact that it happened publicly shouldn't make any difference. Even though it happened in public, that doesn't mean the cops are entitled to have it. Their investigations shouldn't entail shaking down media, counselors, etc. If a client told an attorney privileged information in a coffee shop, should that information be available to be subpoenaed because there was a chance that the guy cleaning the tables may have heard what was said?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2020, 09:48:26 PM »
I don’t really understand the rationale behind protecting video/photographic footage taken in public.

The issue isn't about the right of privacy of those photographed in public, the issue/problem is what you feel like is and what should be protected information gathered by the media. The fear of media attorneys and watch dog groups is if this is allowed, what's to stop the police from getting information about a source if that source said something publicly, or wherever these slippery slope conversations end up. The media, like attorneys, clergy, doctors, counselors, etc. receive privileged information. There are plenty of people who think that unreleased footage should fall under that privileged umbrella.

The fact that it happened publicly shouldn't make any difference. Even though it happened in public, that doesn't mean the cops are entitled to have it. Their investigations shouldn't entail shaking down media, counselors, etc. If a client told an attorney privileged information in a coffee shop, should that information be available to be subpoenaed because there was a chance that the guy cleaning the tables may have heard what was said?
The answer to the bolded question is "the legislature and the rules of discovery/evidence in the subject jurisdiction."

If you want, I'm happy to point out the distinctions between the coffee shop legal counsel and a journalist having still images of individuals in public.  Though this is a wild example, I don't think a lawyer would be protected by any privilege if asked: "Did you, on the evening of July 26, 2020, see your client on Main Street throw a molotov cocktail."  I think that's the better analogy.

Revealing a confidential source or sharing off the record material are bright lines that don't really lend themselves to slippery slopes, imo.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »

The answer to the bolded question is "the legislature and the rules of discovery/evidence in the subject jurisdiction."

If you want, I'm happy to point out the distinctions between the coffee shop legal counsel and a journalist having still images of individuals in public.  Though this is a wild example, I don't think a lawyer would be protected by any privilege if asked: "Did you, on the evening of July 26, 2020, see your client on Main Street throw a molotov cocktail."  I think that's the better analogy.

Revealing a confidential source or sharing off the record material are bright lines that don't really lend themselves to slippery slopes, imo.

Plus, you could just subpoena the busboy... The privilege disappears if you share those communications publicly.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
i would fire the crap out of my attorney if i was like "i have sensitive information i need to discuss w/ you" and the response i got was "understood. let's meet in a coffee shop with lots of people to discuss this matter that could be very damaging to you if this information was obtained by the wrong people"

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2020, 11:38:49 AM »
Law firms, btw, get subpoenaed for client documents all the time. It’s really not that hard for the law to distinguish between stuff that is protected and stuff that is simply in a protected person’s possession.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
THIS ISN'T CHINA!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2020, 10:18:42 PM »
Only thing missing is a hand written please take 1 note
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2020, 01:04:13 AM »
top notch main administrating :emawkid:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2020, 05:18:41 AM »
Who was begging for free food and from whom were they begging?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »
WHO AMONGST US....

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1318252755601870849

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
Did he complete the full helicopter?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
"I thought the camera was muted"

Old people, lmao
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »
I don't understand why you would pull your dick out if you thought the camera was off.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
I don't understand why you would pull your dick out if you thought the camera was off.

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »
He took IT out??  We're gonna need Phil Titola's expertise on this one.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
Hero or persecuted?

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »
He took IT out??  We're gonna need Phil Titola's expertise on this one.

:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzU6_3GqbFo