Author Topic: This is Very Fishy  (Read 14270 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: This is Very Fishy
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2018, 08:42:56 PM »
He may have been fired, but they worked out a deal so that everyone won. Bill and Sean would not have been at the presser today if a deal was not worked out behind closed doors.
Yeah, except everyone didn't win.  K-State is still out $3 million bucks and it delayed our official search by over a week.  And we ended up with a coach we didn't want.

wut

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »
Taylor was probably hired under the presumption that Klieman would eventually follow.  Shrewd move IMO.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2018, 08:57:09 PM »
Need to update the old Snyder video with gene taylor pulling the trigger instead of John Currie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »
There's no conspiracy, it's actually pretty simple, the most logical conclusion is a lot more simple than dlew and trim are making it out to be.

First regarding Bill's contract. He was given what's essentially a lifetime contract. The contract was absolutely problematic, most K-State fans have spent the last three or so years bitching about the rolling contract. Gene also sees the issue with the contract and wants to change it. He didn't renegotiate the contract in 2017 because he just got here. Isn't the very obvious reason for the increased buyout is that Bill asked for it when this new athletic director asked him to get rid of his rolling contract?

As far as whether or not this was a bonafide coaching search, of course it was. Even if Gene began with the end in mind, I think he did, so what? He knew he wanted to hire Klieman, but he did his due diligence to see if there was anyone who could blow him away. They didn't. Also dlew, to say you don't have a problem with Klieman but you have a problem with the search is disingenuous. The only question is if he hired a qualified applicant. Klieman is certainly qualified, especially placed against the other candidates. Did he hire someone he had a previous relationship with? Of course, why wouldn't he? That's what many people who hire others do. I feel like this is done in the legal profession, a lot, why are we acting like this is in need of a special council?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »
There's no conspiracy, it's actually pretty simple, the most logical conclusion is a lot more simple than dlew and trim are making it out to be.

First regarding Bill's contract. He was given what's essentially a lifetime contract. The contract was absolutely problematic, most K-State fans have spent the last three or so years bitching about the rolling contract. Gene also sees the issue with the contract and wants to change it. He didn't renegotiate the contract in 2017 because he just got here. Isn't the very obvious reason for the increased buyout is that Bill asked for it when this new athletic director asked him to get rid of his rolling contract?

As far as whether or not this was a bonafide coaching search, of course it was. Even if Gene began with the end in mind, I think he did, so what? He knew he wanted to hire Klieman, but he did his due diligence to see if there was anyone who could blow him away. They didn't. Also dlew, to say you don't have a problem with Klieman but you have a problem with the search is disingenuous. The only question is if he hired a qualified applicant. Klieman is certainly qualified, especially placed against the other candidates. Did he hire someone he had a previous relationship with? Of course, why wouldn't he? That's what many people who hire others do. I feel like this is done in the legal profession, a lot, why are we acting like this is in need of a special council?

:clap:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2018, 09:37:14 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »

The new contract didn't fix any sort of rollover problem.  There was no rollover problem.  The ability to end Bill's tenure didn't change one bit between the prior version and the new version, other than that the new version had us paying more (and quicker) to terminate him.

The reason there needed to be a new contract is because the old one, while it rolled over with respect to Bill's job, did not roll over beyond 1/31/18 with respect to paying him.  As written, Bill's 1/31/18 paycheck should've been his last one.  That's what prompted there to be a need for something to be done in writing.  It could have been a pretty simple addendum.  Instead it was a new contract.  Bill may had some perceived leverage to get an increased buyout in that Gene would've looked like crap to most of KSTATEO if Bill walked at a time when people were excited about the 2018 football season.  Gene should've let him go then and installed his boy.

Agreeing that he always wanted Klieman:

1) Did it require $2.3m to get him?
2) Did we only entertain options who were cool with $2.3m?
3) If Gene weighed all the options and couldn't tell a difference so he went for the one he knew, should a more discerning eye gotten involved?

It's counsel, Don.   ;)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »
One more thing. I Gene told Kietzman that he didn't ask Snyder to retire, and I believe him. Gene did say they talked "legacy," whatever that means. However it happened, Snyder felt it wasn't his time to go. If Gene made the decision to give him a full buyout to avoid any ugliness, it's absolutely the right thing to do. This program needed a fresh start and that couldn't happen immediately with the looming cloud of a potential battle with LHC Bill Snyder. Also bear in mind that there are big money donors that still wanted him here.

And by the way, if Bill felt like he wasn't ready to go, he should take every penny of that money. Doesn't he have like 9 grandkids? Who in the hell is going to not want to take $3 million when you're 80 and have as many kids and grandkids as he does, it would be completely irresponsible, especially given he worked for his entire career giving the hometown discount. Stop calling him selfish, he's taking care of his family, I would hope you broke dicks would do the same.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
One more thing. I Gene told Kietzman that he didn't ask Snyder to retire, and I believe him. Gene did say they talked "legacy," whatever that means. However it happened, Snyder felt it wasn't his time to go. If Gene made the decision to give him a full buyout to avoid any ugliness, it's absolutely the right thing to do. This program needed a fresh start and that couldn't happen immediately with the looming cloud of a potential battle with LHC Bill Snyder. Also bear in mind that there are big money donors that still wanted him here.

And by the way, if Bill felt like he wasn't ready to go, he should take every penny of that money. Doesn't he have like 9 grandkids? Who in the hell is going to not want to take $3 million when you're 80 and have as many kids and grandkids as he does, it would be completely irresponsible, especially given he worked for his entire career giving the hometown discount. Stop calling him selfish, he's taking care of his family, I would hope you broke dicks would do the same.

Agree, did you mean to post this in the LHC Bill Snyder thread?  I feel like I just wrote up this conversation there.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
I rough ridin' told you to merge the thread 7 hours ago
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
I rough ridin' told you to merge the thread 7 hours ago

User error.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2018, 10:02:26 PM »

The new contract didn't fix any sort of rollover problem.  There was no rollover problem.  The ability to end Bill's tenure didn't change one bit between the prior version and the new version, other than that the new version had us paying more (and quicker) to terminate him.

The reason there needed to be a new contract is because the old one, while it rolled over with respect to Bill's job, did not roll over beyond 1/31/18 with respect to paying him.  As written, Bill's 1/31/18 paycheck should've been his last one.  That's what prompted there to be a need for something to be done in writing.  It could have been a pretty simple addendum.  Instead it was a new contract.  Bill may had some perceived leverage to get an increased buyout in that Gene would've looked like crap to most of KSTATEO if Bill walked at a time when people were excited about the 2018 football season.  Gene should've let him go then and installed his boy.

Agreeing that he always wanted Klieman:

1) Did it require $2.3m to get him?
2) Did we only entertain options who were cool with $2.3m?
3) If Gene weighed all the options and couldn't tell a difference so he went for the one he knew, should a more discerning eye gotten involved?

It's counsel, Don.   ;)

Whether or not the new contract resolved a rollover issue is immaterial. I'll defer to you as you certainly have a better knowledge of what's in those contracts. I will say that if the new contract didn't solve any rollover issues, that doesn't match the rhetoric from both contacts. The one Currie did was criticized from the start and the one that Gene did wasn't. The real story here is that you can only bitch about the increased buyout if you ignore seems like the most likely scenario and that's Bill is the one who wanted it. And yes, if he asked for a $3 million buyout, you absolutely give it to him. That's an insanely low buyout for any P5 coach. You want to talk about "small time?" There's nothing more small timey than potentially arguing about a $3 million buyout for a hall of fame football coach.

Note to Klieman's contract.

1. Yes, he is worth $2.3 million, and you know it too. What he made before is immaterial. That's a good value for a P5 coach with no P5 experience. We would have had to pay LittreLL, Brown, and Norvell more than that but with the exception of Norvell, there isn't any additional relevant experience to match the price tag.

People who keep mentioning his previous salary in relation to what we paid him are to blinded by bias to be rational. Did any of those people expect ku to base their salary for miles based on what he was making from Dos Equis? Did anyone think ASU should pay Herm Edwards based on his ESPN salary? How much do you think Jim Harbaugh's first contract was at Stanford?

As silly as I think the discussion over Bill's buyout is, at least it's possible that dlew is right, not at all likely, but possible. The discussion over this dudes salary is triple dumb. Not only does it assume that he didn't ask for something north of $2 million, but he's absolutely a bargain given the market, so who the hell cares?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2018, 10:04:04 PM »

Agree, did you mean to post this in the LHC Bill Snyder thread?  I feel like I just wrote up this conversation there.

The second paragraph? Yeah, I was on a roll though and I didn't remember which of the two threads I read that dumb crap in.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
Whether or not the new contract resolved a rollover issue is immaterial. I'll defer to you as you certainly have a better knowledge of what's in those contracts. I will say that if the new contract didn't solve any rollover issues, that doesn't match the rhetoric from both contacts. The one Currie did was criticized from the start and the one that Gene did wasn't. The real story here is that you can only bitch about the increased buyout if you ignore seems like the most likely scenario and that's Bill is the one who wanted it. And yes, if he asked for a $3 million buyout, you absolutely give it to him. That's an insanely low buyout for any P5 coach. You want to talk about "small time?" There's nothing more small timey than potentially arguing about a $3 million buyout for a hall of fame football coach.

The rhetoric was dumb and from people who couldn't be bothered to pull up and read a pretty simple contract.  I corrected it all on KSO last year at Jeff's request and again a few weeks back (and Matt Hall still hasn't renewed my comp'd membership for my services, so eff 'em).

Bitching about the buyout isn't so much bitching about that little aspect, but about why an entire new contract was done at all at that time.  The reality is that Gene/KSU had all the leverage.  Again, the rollover thing was nonsense.  Bill's employment effectively ended 1/31/18.  If Gene had his guy all along, canning his ass then would've been prudent, not just saving money but also not letting 2018 and eventually losing to iowa state happen.

Note to Klieman's contract.

1. Yes, he is worth $2.3 million, and you know it too. What he made before is immaterial. That's a good value for a P5 coach with no P5 experience. We would have had to pay LittreLL, Brown, and Norvell more than that but with the exception of Norvell, there isn't any additional relevant experience to match the price tag.

People who keep mentioning his previous salary in relation to what we paid him are to blinded by bias to be rational. Did any of those people expect ku to base their salary for miles based on what he was making from Dos Equis? Did anyone think ASU should pay Herm Edwards based on his ESPN salary? How much do you think Jim Harbaugh's first contract was at Stanford?

As silly as I think the discussion over Bill's buyout is, at least it's possible that dlew is right, not at all likely, but possible. The discussion over this dudes salary is triple dumb. Not only does it assume that he didn't ask for something north of $2 million, but he's absolutely a bargain given the market, so who the hell cares?

I asked the first two because of Gene's "financial parameters" comment from a day or two ago.  As you know, I've always felt that it's wise to break the bank on a stud football coach because it's a great investment.  I wish we'd have put it out there that KSU is interested in whipping ass at football and if you can do that, holler at us because we're paying.  Gene's comment, what Klieman got, and who's known to have been considered and not considered indicate we did the opposite.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »

The second paragraph? Yeah, I was on a roll though and I didn't remember which of the two threads I read that dumb crap in.

:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2018, 11:16:51 PM »

Bitching about the buyout isn't so much bitching about that little aspect, but about why an entire new contract was done at all at that time.  The reality is that Gene/KSU had all the leverage.  Again, the rollover thing was nonsense.  Bill's employment effectively ended 1/31/18.  If Gene had his guy all along, canning his ass then would've been prudent, not just saving money but also not letting 2018 and eventually losing to iowa state happen.

I don't envision any scenario in which Gene had any leverage on LHC Bill Snyder before the total circus of this season happened. I don't even think the wins and losses are what swung the pendulum but the players leaving is what did it. It was the lying empty threat of Shannon Spradling come to life but it was actually happening. Our current scholarship numbers are disastrous.

I asked the first two because of Gene's "financial parameters" comment from a day or two ago.  As you know, I've always felt that it's wise to break the bank on a stud football coach because it's a great investment.  I wish we'd have put it out there that KSU is interested in whipping ass at football and if you can do that, holler at us because we're paying.  Gene's comment, what Klieman got, and who's known to have been considered and not considered indicate we did the opposite.

Yeah, that would have been nice, he would have had to have gotten donor assurances to make that happen though. As much as I would have loved to have him, I don't think paying Dino Babers $4.3 million and the staff another $2.7 along with about $10 million in buyouts for two staffs would be worth cost of the title IX lawsuit for taking the needed money from Olympic sports because Carl Ice didn't want to fork over the cash.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2018, 11:51:19 PM »

I don't envision any scenario in which Gene had any leverage on LHC Bill Snyder before the total circus of this season happened. I don't even think the wins and losses are what swung the pendulum but the players leaving is what did it. It was the lying empty threat of Shannon Spradling come to life but it was actually happening. Our current scholarship numbers are disastrous.

Yeah, that would have been nice, he would have had to have gotten donor assurances to make that happen though. As much as I would have loved to have him, I don't think paying Dino Babers $4.3 million and the staff another $2.7 along with about $10 million in buyouts for two staffs would be worth cost of the title IX lawsuit for taking the needed money from Olympic sports because Carl Ice didn't want to fork over the cash.

KSU had the leverage contractually.  KSU's done a good job of making the contracts harder to find online, but it's on my couch next to me.  You still gotta come up some time.  KSU's obligation to pay Bill ended 1/31/18.  In a vacuum, we had a job opening and filled it with old, declining Bill.  With the option of being able to hire anyone for the job at that time, including his beloved eff head, should Gene have picked Bill AND given him a raise AND given him an extra $1m when he'd inevitably be canned? 

Of course, it's not in a vacuum and Gene naturally didn't want to do a youtube with Brian Smoller to explain that Bill won't be around anymore.  So practically, not nearly as much leverage as they had contractually.

Definitely would've needed the donors to be sold on investing in a Dino-or-above coaching staff.  That should've been an easy sell though, right?  If these people are giving millions of dollars for a part of a facility, wouldn't they see the value in giving that to a coach who will have the greatest chance of success that leads to exponential return on the initial investment that can be used to build even better facilities and such?

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2018, 01:32:39 AM »

KSU had the leverage contractually.  KSU's done a good job of making the contracts harder to find online, but it's on my couch next to me.  You still gotta come up some time.  KSU's obligation to pay Bill ended 1/31/18.  In a vacuum, we had a job opening and filled it with old, declining Bill.  With the option of being able to hire anyone for the job at that time, including his beloved eff head, should Gene have picked Bill AND given him a raise AND given him an extra $1m when he'd inevitably be canned? 

Of course, it's not in a vacuum and Gene naturally didn't want to do a youtube with Brian Smoller to explain that Bill won't be around anymore.  So practically, not nearly as much leverage as they had contractually.

Definitely would've needed the donors to be sold on investing in a Dino-or-above coaching staff.  That should've been an easy sell though, right?  If these people are giving millions of dollars for a part of a facility, wouldn't they see the value in giving that to a coach who will have the greatest chance of success that leads to exponential return on the initial investment that can be used to build even better facilities and such?

No, not really.  If you have some completely unrealistic opportunity to hire Bob Stoops, maybe.  Other than that, people are kidding themselves if they think an extra million a year was going to create so much distance between the pool of candidates we talked to versus a better group that it would become a no-brainer to open up your checkbooks.  A plot of risk / reward as it pertains to spending on a personnel hire is an exponential curve, not a straight line.  Invest money in facilities?  That's one of the few things that is largely guaranteed to help your program over the long run.  Plus, you get a brick with your name on it or a urinal named after you. 

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2018, 05:37:40 AM »
I would enjoy to see how much Harbaugh made in his first year at Stanford and how it stacked up with other P5 coaches. Any one able to find that info?

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »
 It was like 700k and was a major reason he was even listening about taking the ku job - Stanford is pretty cheap

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
They also were completely apathetic about football at that point I believe. Still, CFB salaries have changed a lot since even then. There’s really no apples to apples comparison to be made.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2018, 09:36:42 AM »
So few people seem to understand the obvious:  the Chris Klieman hire actually started with the Gene Taylor hire.  Taylor was hired to get Klieman, it was the plan all along.  There were interviews for the window dressing of the process, but Klieman was targeted years ago.  We hired Taylor so we could hire Klieman.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
So few people seem to understand the obvious:  the Chris Klieman hire actually started with the Gene Taylor hire.  Taylor was hired to get Klieman, it was the plan all along.  There were interviews for the window dressing of the process, but Klieman was targeted years ago.  We hired Taylor so we could hire Klieman.

K-State or any other P5 school didn't need Gene to get Chris.  Chris needed Gene to be at K-State so he could get a P5 job.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »
No, not really.  If you have some completely unrealistic opportunity to hire Bob Stoops, maybe.  Other than that, people are kidding themselves if they think an extra million a year was going to create so much distance between the pool of candidates we talked to versus a better group that it would become a no-brainer to open up your checkbooks.  A plot of risk / reward as it pertains to spending on a personnel hire is an exponential curve, not a straight line.  Invest money in facilities?  That's one of the few things that is largely guaranteed to help your program over the long run.  Plus, you get a brick with your name on it or a urinal named after you. 

A million a year wouldn't cut it.  Dino alone would've been an extra $2-3m/year and the donors we're talking about wouldn't have gone for him, for one reason or another. 

It would require a pitch with the basics of "donate to our HC fund now, enjoy us whipping ass at football and observe us reaping financial benefits, be thanked by us using those benefits to build a new slightly mis-matched erector set addition to the stadium and name it after you."

The right amount of money makes any opportunity realistic.  It'd have been nice to think outside the other side of the box and investigate what sort of game-changing move could be made to dominate. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »

K-State or any other P5 school didn't need Gene to get Chris.  Chris needed Gene to be at K-State so he could get a P5 job.

Maybe a little of both.  Evidence certainly indicates the latter.  But it also wouldn't be a stretch to think that candidate Gene touted that he could always bring in a national* champion* football coach that would be a good FIT if necessary, and KSU thought that was a good idea and/or insurance policy.