Author Topic: This is Very Fishy  (Read 14115 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
This is Very Fishy
« on: December 12, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »
Ned Seaton (a complete OG) wrote an article in the Mercury today:

K-State will pay LHC Bill Snyder $3 million over the next three years, an amount equal to the buyout he would have been entitled to had he been fired, athletics director Gene Taylor told The Mercury Wednesday.

Taylor said Snyder was not fired, and that the payout was instead “for all he has done for our football team, our program and our community… it was something that we felt was important to do for him.”

http://themercury.com/news/local/bi...cle_0766941d-6397-557e-ad47-86135e11c59c.html

A couple of really strange things here:

(1) Gene's position is that K-State was under no obligation to pay Snyder $3m, but did so anyway.  That's an odd position for an AD to take.

(2) Gene's obviously lying.  And telling very obvious lies is a pretty gutsy/stupid move to make when he also just hired his friend (who was a very unpopular candidate) to be head coach.  Why tell obvious lies when there are already questions about the integrity of the search?

(3) If Snyder actually was effectively fired (which one can assume based on the $3m payment), then why did it take so long?  He stayed on like, 10 days after the season or something "thinking it over."  What was there to think over?  The delay doesn't make any sense to me.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: This is Very Fishy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
the mustang wanted him to make the decision on his own and retire, took him 10 days to realize he wasn't going to do it  :dunno:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
Fired

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 02:39:08 PM »
Meh
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »
I would think this is meant to insulate the AD from a future lawsuit if Snyder goes rogue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »
Mods please merge
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
Also odd that when Snyder's contract was extended four months ago, it included a 50% raise to his buyout.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
He may have been fired, but they worked out a deal so that everyone won. Bill and Sean would not have been at the presser today if a deal was not worked out behind closed doors.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
Like, if a court deems he was fired, rather than retired, either way the contract wasn't breached.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
Mustang trying his dangdest (dangnest?) to let Bill save some face when he had to fire his stubborn 10 day waiting ass.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
#1 is the strangest. It seems like borderline incompetence/breach of fiduciary duty to spend $3 million without any real justification. Had it been paid as part of a consulting agreement it could at least be justified.

The rest, yeah we all know what’s going on. GT wanted Snyder to leave but he wouldn’t. When it was clear they were at an impasse he basically fired Snyder but did it in a way you couldn’t really say he was actually fired. Everyone knows what actually happened now, but when looking back 20 years from now people will just assume it really was a voluntary decision.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
Mods please merge
How dare you.

I would think this is meant to insulate the AD from a future lawsuit if Snyder goes rogue.
What scenario are you envisioning in which Snyder would have a claim?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
He may have been fired, but they worked out a deal so that everyone won. Bill and Sean would not have been at the presser today if a deal was not worked out behind closed doors.
Yeah, except everyone didn't win.  K-State is still out $3 million bucks and it delayed our official search by over a week.  And we ended up with a coach we didn't want.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Mods please merge
How dare you.

What scenario are you envisioning in which Snyder would have a claim?
Without having all the information at my disposal, I can't really say for sure. But in ordinary employment situations, I could see the argument that an employee resigned under duress so that the employer could avoid paying a higher price for his termination. But Idk. Depends on what all docs Snyd signed.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
i mean, obviously dollar LHC Bill Snyder wasn't going to quit if it would cost him 3 million.  so you give him 3 million to agree to quit.  this is a pretty rough ridin' easy mystery.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 02:49:50 PM »
Not the least bit surprising, but still LOL at all those who ate up Ol' Bill being worried about those poor professors and putting on the ol Grandpa Snyder act in regards to them fancy facilities and big raises.

"Pay me" . . . LHC Bill Snyder

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
CUT THE HEAD OFF

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »
Canned his ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
i mean, obviously dollar LHC Bill Snyder wasn't going to quit if it would cost him 3 million.  so you give him 3 million to agree to quit.  this is a pretty rough ridin' easy mystery.
Exactly.  Let's call it a "negotiated retirement."  But you're missing my point.

Gene was straight up asked about the character of the $3 million payment.  His response  “for all he has done for our football team, our program and our community… it was something that we felt was important to do for him.” 

He said today at the press conference:  "It was just something where I said, 'You know Coach, you're leaving a lot (of money) on the table. I would like to take care of you.' He said, 'Absolutely,'" Taylor said. "So he's going to get his $3 million, and he deserves every penny of it because of what he did for this program. I'm happy to do it."

As you said, that's all false.  It was paid as a condition of his retirement.  He doesn't have to say those things.  He doesn't have to comment on the terms of Snyder's retirement at all.  That's what public figures generally do when they're asked questions they don't want to answer.  But when they lie they lose credibility.  And when there are doubts about the legitimacy of the coaching search already, Gene should be cognizant of his credibility.

I also think Gene should be cognizant of his word choice.  He basically told everyone that he made a voluntary $3 million payment to Snyder out of the Athletic Department's funds.  If you're going to lie, you should think of a better lie than "I gifted $3 million of our budget."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
That's bullcrap

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Gene is basically the head of a multi-million dollar business. And just like any other president/CEO in his position, no one GAF about credibility as long as he’s making everyone rich.

I think GT can pay the lip service to make it sound like he’s doing a good thing for Bill even though everyone knows he canned his ass. My only issue is that he needs to have an explanation about how the $3 million he spent benefits the university, not Snyder.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is Very Fishy
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »
And let’s be clear, CK was an unpopular hire, but that doesn’t mean it was a bad one. Just think of all the people who thought Steve Jobs was out of his mind until he made everyone rich. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with GT being completely unapologetic at this point for his decision. Obviously if it doesn’t pan out he will face the consequences though.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
Gene is basically the head of a multi-million dollar business. And just like any other president/CEO in his position, no one GAF about credibility as long as he’s making everyone rich.

I think GT can pay the lip service to make it sound like he’s doing a good thing for Bill even though everyone knows he canned his ass. My only issue is that he needs to have an explanation about how the $3 million he spent benefits the university, not Snyder.
I tend to agree with you.  Nobody cares about the search process if CK works out to be a great coach.  But if CK goes out and loses 8 games next year, people are going to be wondering why/how we ended up with this NDSU head coach that none of us wanted in the first place.

And to your second point, yes.  If you're going to lie about something, the lie you tell should at least be rational.  Under any circumstance where you're not subject to perjury, telling people you gifted $3 million of athletic department/donor funds is insane. 

And let’s be clear, CK was an unpopular hire, but that doesn’t mean it was a bad one.
Yes I agree but we're not talking about that ITT.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
i mean, obviously dollar LHC LHC Bill Snyder wasn't going to quit if it would cost him 3 million.  so you give him 3 million to agree to quit.  this is a pretty rough ridin' easy mystery.
Exactly.  Let's call it a "negotiated retirement."  But you're missing my point.

Gene was straight up asked about the character of the $3 million payment.  His response  “for all he has done for our football team, our program and our community… it was something that we felt was important to do for him.” 

He said today at the press conference:  "It was just something where I said, 'You know Coach, you're leaving a lot (of money) on the table. I would like to take care of you.' He said, 'Absolutely,'" Taylor said. "So he's going to get his $3 million, and he deserves every penny of it because of what he did for this program. I'm happy to do it."

As you said, that's all false.  It was paid as a condition of his retirement.  He doesn't have to say those things.  He doesn't have to comment on the terms of Snyder's retirement at all.  That's what public figures generally do when they're asked questions they don't want to answer.  But when they lie they lose credibility.  And when there are doubts about the legitimacy of the coaching search already, Gene should be cognizant of his credibility.

I also think Gene should be cognizant of his word choice.  He basically told everyone that he made a voluntary $3 million payment to Snyder out of the Athletic Department's funds.  If you're going to lie, you should think of a better lie than "I gifted $3 million of our budget."

I get a feeling you really dislike ADGT and really really dislike NHFBCCK

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
someone tip off Dennis Dodd!!!!