Author Topic: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab  (Read 109176 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab
« Reply #1525 on: September 15, 2022, 12:46:44 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1570195702558629888

Ghoulish seems like an odd word to use here?  How is it ghoulish?
Probably the wrong word. "Cruel" or "abhorrent" might be better

Yes, better words.  But are they not being treated cruelly at any border town?

There are no border towns in Florida. I also fail to see how what happens at any border town makes this any better. Is it that hard to say this is wrong, full stop?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab
« Reply #1526 on: September 15, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »
Also I wonder if Ron would treat Cuban asylum seekers the same way?

lol, you don't wonder that, we all know the answer.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 15, 2022, 12:54:13 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1570195702558629888

Ghoulish seems like an odd word to use here?  How is it ghoulish?
Probably the wrong word. "Cruel" or "abhorrent" might be better

Yes, better words.  But are they not being treated cruelly at any border town?

There are no border towns in Florida. I also fail to see how what happens at any border town makes this any better. Is it that hard to say this is wrong, full stop?

I didn't say Florida had border towns and should have been more clear on that one. And maybe Desantis was just jealous of the press Abbott was getting?  I do think it's wrong BUT also think it will have a positive impact on what happens moving forward.

I can take the flip side and say that maybe it is better that they are sent to a sanctuary city compared to staying south.  Maybe better living conditions?  More opportunity?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 15, 2022, 12:59:33 PM »
And while I'm not a fan of these "stunts", it does appear that it will get the attention that it has needed for some time.  Most on this board has found it easy to turn a blind eye on this travesty until now.

what travesty are you referring to? The publicity stunts have been discussed and this is a pretty long thread about how cruelly this country treats immigrants.

I can't get over what a cruel publicity stunt this is

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1562428296662761472

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 15, 2022, 01:04:58 PM »
And while I'm not a fan of these "stunts", it does appear that it will get the attention that it has needed for some time.  Most on this board has found it easy to turn a blind eye on this travesty until now.

what travesty are you referring to? The publicity stunts have been discussed and this is a pretty long thread about how cruelly this country treats immigrants.

I can't get over what a cruel publicity stunt this is

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1562428296662761472

We can start with the living conditions these immigrants are and have been living in for starters.  Drugs, child trafficking etc etc.  I really needed to spell it out? 

And again, I can take the flip side and say that this might be the best thing that could have happened to these immigrants?  Cruel publicity stunt or not. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: September 15, 2022, 01:09:12 PM »
I think the immigrants getting bussed from Texas to NYC are potentially getting free transportation to a much better living situation. I don't really know enough about the immigration process to say for sure on that one, though.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: September 15, 2022, 01:12:50 PM »
We can start with the living conditions these immigrants are and have been living in for starters.  Drugs, child trafficking etc etc.  I really needed to spell it out? 

And again, I can take the flip side and say that this might be the best thing that could have happened to these immigrants?  Cruel publicity stunt or not. 

The best thing for these people would be a swift asylum hearing and/or release to a city of their choosing. I don't know wtf you're talking about in your first sentence. I'm assuming they were in custody.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: September 15, 2022, 01:20:09 PM »
I think the immigrants getting bussed from Texas to NYC are potentially getting free transportation to a much better living situation. I don't really know enough about the immigration process to say for sure on that one, though.

I agree 100% and no one would really know the process unless they were living it.  It could be a quicker process or something that will be set up soon for it to be that way?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:24:32 PM by I_have_purplewood »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: September 15, 2022, 01:22:35 PM »
Well, Abbott is doing it to fire up conservatives and make a national name for himself, but if the immigrants are agreeing to get on the bus to NYC, then I really don't have a problem with it. If they are getting bussed away against their will when they actually have family in Texas, then that is completely different.

The Florida thing is a whole lot worse because I really doubt these immigrants are agreeing to get flown to Martha's Vineyard, where they don't even have transportation to their required court appearances.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 15, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »
Well, Abbott is doing it to fire up conservatives and make a national name for himself, but if the immigrants are agreeing to get on the bus to NYC, then I really don't have a problem with it. If they are getting bussed away against their will when they actually have family in Texas, then that is completely different.

The Florida thing is a whole lot worse because I really doubt these immigrants are agreeing to get flown to Martha's Vineyard, where they don't even have transportation to their required court appearances.

I agree again, on both counts.  And It is firing up both sides which is going to bring this the attention it has needed for some time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 15, 2022, 01:28:15 PM »
If the interest was putting the migrants in better situations, you'd think these governors would coordinate with the local authorities they are being shipped to so they can be set up with resources. Almost all of these have been happening when the migrants arrive at random places in these cities in the middle of the night. I just watched a clip on Fox News about two bus loads of migrants dropped in front of Kamala Harris' brownstone in the middle of the night. The anchors even thought this was funny.

Conservatives have NIMBY trending on Twitter. I was unaware until today, but it's a popular take to call people NIMBYs who take exception to how these migrants are being treated.

This is all so mumped and not only is half of the population okay with it but they think it's appropriate troll bait. Politicians using human beings for clout on social media. We're truly mumped.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 15, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »

I agree again, on both counts.  And It is firing up both sides which is going to bring this the attention it has needed for some time.

No, nothing at all will end up getting done. Maybe the democrats manage to keep the house and gain senate seats and I end up getting proven wrong, but I really don't think Biden has any interest in softening our immigration policy. And any potential change from the republicans would be to make things worse for immigrants than they already are.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 15, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »
If the interest was putting the migrants in better situations, you'd think these governors would coordinate with the local authorities they are being shipped to so they can be set up with resources. Almost all of these have been happening when the migrants arrive at random places in these cities in the middle of the night. I just watched a clip on Fox News about two bus loads of migrants dropped in front of Kamala Harris' brownstone in the middle of the night. The anchors even thought this was funny.

Conservatives have NIMBY trending on Twitter. I was unaware until today, but it's a popular take to call people NIMBYs who take exception to how these migrants are being treated.

This is all so mumped and not only is half of the population okay with it but they think it's appropriate troll bait. Politicians using human beings for clout on social media. We're truly mumped.

Of course it would be better if there was better communication but you can't honestly just blame the pubs. Do you think the dems have done a good job of putting migrants in a better situation?  And if so, how?

It is easy to be outraged in what is happening but I think the end result will speed the process to something better.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 15, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »

Of course it would be better if there was better communication but you can't honestly just blame the pubs. Do you think the dems have done a good job of putting migrants in a better situation?  And if so, how?

It is easy to be outraged in what is happening but I think the end result will speed the process to something better.

You keep trying to both sides this when I've been critical of Biden doing the same crap. If we're going to play a game of compare and contrast, I can say that at least the Biden administration contacts the government officials in advance and get social services set up. Abbott appears to make two calls, one to the charter company and a second to Fox News so they can have their cameras at the arrival spot.

You keep wanting us to affirm the countries immigration policies are inhumane, I think we all agree on that.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 15, 2022, 04:31:35 PM »

You keep trying to both sides this when I've been critical of Biden doing the same crap. If we're going to play a game of compare and contrast, I can say that at least the Biden administration contacts the government officials in advance and get social services set up. Abbott appears to make two calls, one to the charter company and a second to Fox News so they can have their cameras at the arrival spot.

You keep wanting us to affirm the countries immigration policies are inhumane, I think we all agree on that.

It's literally the title of the thread
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: September 15, 2022, 06:12:04 PM »

I think many are saying in interviews they were straight up lied to.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: September 15, 2022, 08:42:18 PM »

It's literally the title of the thread

I'm glad we all agree on the inhumane conditions on the border.  It's like some people on here (mcat) want to make the border to be like some Shangri-La where people get processed so quickly and then assimilate and are happy?

Then, why does it take these assholes (pubs) to do these stunts to make something happen?  We've had this issue for a damn long time. Blame Fox News all you want.  Also blame CNN and MNSBC for not covering it better.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: September 15, 2022, 08:54:09 PM »
What has improved on the border since these stunts?

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 15, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »
What has improved on the border since these stunts?

Really? Don't be a complete tool.  It should have happened before any of this happened and you know this.  I'm sure the crap living conditions are the same there though?  As well as the crime, drugs, child trafficking etc etc.  kudos bro.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 16, 2022, 07:56:02 AM »
What improvements do you think need to be made at the border?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: September 16, 2022, 09:04:22 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 16, 2022, 09:38:07 AM »
The lengths libtards will go to to make maga's look bad smdh
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 16, 2022, 09:52:41 AM »
Are the taxpayers in Texas and Florida paying for all these busses and planes?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 16, 2022, 09:53:53 AM »
Are the taxpayers in Texas and Florida paying for all these busses and planes?

Yes