Author Topic: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab  (Read 109297 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i heard an interview a few days back with an american soldier describing his efforts to help a translator who worked with his unit get out of afghanistan and immigrate to the u.s and the roadblocks and indifference with which both the translator's efforts to escape were treated and the same indifference and roadblocks which the soldier faced when he tried to expedite the process.

i already knew it was bad, but the description was even worse than i expected.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab
« Reply #1502 on: September 15, 2022, 09:42:58 AM »
Human trafficking to own the libs!!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab
« Reply #1503 on: September 15, 2022, 10:34:30 AM »
For those who don't know, the people who actually live on Martha's Vineyard and the cape are not the rich people who vacation there and leave in late August. DeSantis is an elite who attended Harvard and Yale, he absolutely knows the rich people are gone and he shipped those migrants to a bunch of people who work in hospitality and fishing.

Some republicans are pointing out that Biden has also shipped migrants across the country, as if that makes it okay. It's ghoulish behavior regardless of what party is doing it.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: September 15, 2022, 11:01:26 AM »
It's too bad the Punchable Faces thread got locked because Desantis is a prime candidate for having his stupid punchable face posted in there.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: September 15, 2022, 11:06:44 AM »
It's fantastic hearing the mayors of sanctuary cities whine about migrants showing up at their doorstep.

The virtue signaling was so much more fulfilling . . . then the actual dealing with, clearly.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 15, 2022, 11:08:54 AM »
They should ship them to Kansas. Tons of job openings here.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: September 15, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »

Licks Bahrain/Dubai America dream is closer than ever.

Grats Lick

Nothing will make the megacorps/American (left leaning . . . publicly, not so much in the board rooms and the top floor behind closed doors) Oligarchs happier

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: September 15, 2022, 11:32:59 AM »
Kansas are simultaneously angry about nobody being present to refill their Dr Pepper at Applebees or potty them in a timely manner when they are hospitalized AND the thought of people from south of the border coming to KS.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 15, 2022, 11:41:34 AM »
There's little doubt that raising the minimum wage will be pushed extremely hard by American Oligarchs/Mega-Corps/businesses of all types as they gaze upon the vast landscape of new potential workers streaming into the country.

What's also fascinating is #blueanon/#blueanongE's unyielding belief that every migrant is coming to America to clean our toilets and do the hard labor.  Keep up the delusion fellas  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  (one could even consider the delusion a form of stealth racism).

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 15, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »
would rather those folks have a path to legal citizenship

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 15, 2022, 12:07:11 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1570195702558629888

Ghoulish seems like an odd word to use here?  How is it ghoulish?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 15, 2022, 12:07:52 PM »
Biden just needs to do a standing Executive Order that grants status to anyone involved in these stunts. Basically treat it like a lottery ticket from your pals Abbott and DeSantis.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 15, 2022, 12:08:32 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

They’re literally treating people like props

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 15, 2022, 12:09:30 PM »
Biden just needs to do a standing Executive Order that grants status to anyone involved in these stunts. Basically treat it like a lottery ticket from your pals Abbott and DeSantis.

Right! Screw the ones that are left at the boarder living in despicable conditions.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: September 15, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

Probably the wrong word. "Cruel" or "abhorrent" might be better

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 15, 2022, 12:16:30 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

Yes, better words.  But are they not being treated cruelly at any border town? 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 15, 2022, 12:17:52 PM »
I've seen people use "dehumanizing" and think that's a good way of describing it.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 15, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »
I've seen people use "dehumanizing" and think that's a good way of describing it.

Good word as well but is this what it takes to put this into focus?  This has been happening for a long time and now people are up in arms about it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 15, 2022, 12:24:44 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

They might have been! If you want to argue that we should improve the detention facilities of asylum seekers, I won't stand in your way.

But there are indications that these were asylum seekers from Venezuela and could have serious implications on their status in addition to the demented practice of using humans as props for political stunts.

CBS News immigration reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez notes that, unlike the other cities Republican governors have chosen as destinations for migrants, Martha's Vineyard is not an urban, metropolitan area with a robust social services infrastructure: There are no large refugee or migrant services organizations on the island. There's no Justice Department immigration court where the migrants can attend asylum hearings. There's no ICE field office where migrants can check in. As it hasn't been a top destination for recent arrivals, the flights will also raise questions about whether all the migrants transported there on Wednesday knew where they were going.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 15, 2022, 12:28:31 PM »

Good word as well but is this what it takes to put this into focus?  This has been happening for a long time and now people are up in arms about it?

What has been happening for a long time? Shipping immigrants for political stunts? Are you wondering why people are upset about the most recent dehumanizing publicity stunt? Like, DeSantis's goal was to get this in the news.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 15, 2022, 12:29:13 PM »
Also I wonder if Ron would treat Cuban asylum seekers the same way?

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 15, 2022, 12:38:05 PM »
Ghoulish behavior

They might have been! If you want to argue that we should improve the detention facilities of asylum seekers, I won't stand in your way.

But there are indications that these were asylum seekers from Venezuela and could have serious implications on their status in addition to the demented practice of using humans as props for political stunts.

CBS News immigration reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez notes that, unlike the other cities Republican governors have chosen as destinations for migrants, Martha's Vineyard is not an urban, metropolitan area with a robust social services infrastructure: There are no large refugee or migrant services organizations on the island. There's no Justice Department immigration court where the migrants can attend asylum hearings. There's no ICE field office where migrants can check in. As it hasn't been a top destination for recent arrivals, the flights will also raise questions about whether all the migrants transported there on Wednesday knew where they were going.

I'm sure they will figure out what they need to not having all of those ROBUST social service outlets, lol.  This can't catch anyone of guard.  Texas has been crying about this months on end while our administration has done little.

And while I'm not a fan of these "stunts", it does appear that it will get the attention that it has needed for some time.  Most on this board has found it easy to turn a blind eye on this travesty until now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 15, 2022, 12:43:09 PM »
It's fantastic hearing the mayors of sanctuary cities whine about migrants showing up at their doorstep.

The virtue signaling was so much more fulfilling . . . then the actual dealing with, clearly.

I'm sure I'll regret asking this but, who are you talking about here? NYC, DC, and Chicago have taken the migrants and dealt with it. Martha's Vineyard is not a "sanctuary city" but the people still aren't complaining. DeSantis could have easily sent those people to Boston where there are far more resources to take care of them but he knew full well that partisans would excuse this stunt, and sending them to Martha's Vineyard was absolutely a stunt, that cost his taxpayers money.

I shouldn't be surprised that conservatives aren't roundly denouncing sending these migrants to Martha's Vineyard, but here I am. I'm the fool, I guess.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 15, 2022, 12:45:08 PM »

He does the same thing though, just not as extreme as sending them to an island of 17,000 residents with 8 months of awful weather.